Just off 3 nighter, Monarch of the Seas May 10 to 14: Things I have learned/observed:

There are a million reviews out there for the Monarch, so I won't bore you all. However, there are a number of things I have observed/learned from this sailing.

This is my 6th cruise, all with Royal Caribbean, from Soveriegn class all the way up to Freedom class... this is my second on the Monarch. First was a 4 nighter in 2009.

1) We are balcony snobs. No question. Did a outside on deck 2 because we took the kids, and wanted them to have their own cabin next to ours. Not springing for 2 Jr Suites... The sewer smell is there. Don't let people say it isn't.. because it is. No more sailing without a balcony. Need the sound of the ocean, need the private outdoor space.

2) No more 3 nighters. It is May. Not many kids on this sailing because it is May... but there is definately a different feel to a 3 night cruise, even compared to a 4 nighter, and definately than a 7 nighter. I have never seen more falling-down-drunk people in my life all congregated in one place, and our LAST Monarch cruise was a spring break cruise. There is a definate difference in the types/class/caliber of people that I observed on this cruise as opposed to the others.

Even my wife noticed it, and she is one of the most "accepting" people I know.

3) The water in the Bahamas is only slightly cooler in May than September (our usual cruising time). In September, there is no "getting used to the water"... in May there is an initial "shock", but then it is warm and nice.

4) The staff looks "tired". The wait staff in the main diningroom especially. I found that the staff in 2009 was much more chipper and happy and "into" their jobs. Most of the diningroom staff looked like zombies. Could this be because they know that this ship is going away soon? No idea. I just know that especially our diningroom team seemed disinterested and overtasked. This is the first time we have ever experienced this on a Royal Caribbean ship.

5) our first diamond cruise. Didn't really notice much in the way of a difference in how I was recieved from the last cruise. Could be because of point 4.

All in all, we still had a good time. Just avoided crowded areas where there would be alot of drunks, like the deck party. My younger daughter was in awe the whole time. My older daughter got a little seasick, so it dampened her spirits a little.

Next up, Freedom of the Seas in September.

Don

I tend to agree the 3nt cruises do draw more of a "party crowd"...and I too love having a balcony...which is why having Enchantment coming to take Monarch's place next year makes me verrrry Happy!:D

I too have been on the Enchantment... a 5 nighter in 2007. I loved that ship. I will probably sail her again if we do another 4 nighter. I LOVE Coco Cay.... can take or leave Nassau..

A side note: We are 5 for 5 on getting to Coco Cay... that has to be a record I think! I was so afraid our luck would run out... when I pictured taking my daughters on a cruise, it was images of them on CocoCay that I had in my head. So glad we made it...

Don

We were on the same cruise.

Our wait staff was very good. I did not see any sense of being tired of uninterested in our wait staff. We also ate breakfast in the MDR 2 days, and the waiters there were very attentive also.

We spent about an hour at the midnight sail away party on Saturday night. I saw many young people having a good time, but didn't see any falling-down drunks. Not saying it wasn't there, but I didn't see it. Seemed like a pretty typical 3 day cruise to me.

Not saying it wasn't there, but I didn't see it. Seemed like a pretty typical 3 day cruise to me.

See how cruises vary from one person to the next?

I was on a 3 nighter back in May 2010. Pretty sure you were on the same cruise too. It was the Friday they launched Space Shuttle Atlantis.

I seen no more "drunk" people on that cruise than I did my recent 7 night Freedom cruise and noticed no different "class" of people on that weekend cruise either.

I was all over the Monarch that weekend but apparently I just missed the whole "party" and "falling down drunk" cruise these short 3 nighters have a bad rap for? :confused:

Different perspectives from different eyes, I guess. I had more than 1 person almost "fall on my lap" because they couldn't walk through the hallway... that has never happened before. I saw more than one person "holding up a wall" because if they didn't the ship would fall down.... I had more "drunken conversations" with people who instantly became my best friend, just add Cruzan... Like I said, moreso than on any other cruise I have been on. By no means the rule, but certainly not what I had come to expect from a Royal Caribbean cruise.

I should clarify something... the MAJORITY of the people were not this way. I am simply stating that I saw MORE on this cruise than any other I have been on, including a spring break cruise.

The people on this 3 nighter seemed to go balls-to-the-walls at all times. If I had to guess, it was because they only had 3 nights to "get it all in".

As for the wait staff... I don't know where you were sitting... but as we watched them "between tables", when they weren't "on", they looked very tired... very resigned... about 75% of them. We are usually "friends" with out waitstaff by the 2nd day of the cruise. I am facebook friends with alot of them. This particular team was efficient, but cold... and like I said, when they didn't think you were looking, just just looked like they would rather be someplace else. And I can't say that I blame them... they are away from their family for months.

Maybe I just had extraordinary waitstaff and extraordinary fellow passengers on every other cruise... but I find that unlikely.

Did it wreck my cruise? Nope.... just thought I would share my experience.

I would never do a 3 nighter, unless I was within 20 mins. of a port.....just too short, and you're right...the passengers on a short cruise are definitely out to party-hardy!!!

We do live 20 minutes from a port and we stay clear of the short cruises and spring break cruises. It just doesn't sound fun for us.

My brother and SIL up until a year ago lived very close to port Canaveral (military) they took a couple of the 3 day cruises and hated each one. They made sure to go 3 or 4 times to make sure it wasn't a fluke of a bad cruise.

They didn't enjoy the short cruises for many of the reasons listed here.

I respect their opinions so we stay clear as well.

I would think this is more of an opinion or lifestyle type of thing rather then cut and dry bad vs good. Some people love the excitement, the parties and that sort of thing. Others prefer a more quiet, relaxing environment?

Though hubby and I live in New Orleans and are used to the party scene due to location, we much prefer a more laid back relaxed vacation then trying to cram all of our partying in a 3 day trip. ;)

...I was on a 3 nighter back in May 2010. Pretty sure you were on the same cruise too. It was the Friday they launched Space Shuttle Atlantis....

Yes, we got to see Atlantis launch on May 14th, 2010. It was between back to back's for us. Did we meet? We normally do some sort of informal M&M about 3:30pm, but we might have skipped it because of the shuttle.

Bob

I just have to chime in here and say, just did a 3 day cruise and it was awesome! Yes, time went way too fast but did not see anyone out of control. No long lines, no people falling down drunk- Waiters were so attentive and all the people we met were very pleasant. Not saying there were some out of control people there, just did not see them. Next cruise is with Royal and I would like to see the difference in cruise lines. Hope I won't be disappointed.

We are coming up on a 3 night cruise on the Monarch. It has been a long time since we have done one of these, but it was a gift from the in-laws so we are taking it!!! Can you tell me is there a formal night on these short cruises? Like I said, it has been a long while since we did one. Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me is there a formal night on these short cruises? Like I said, it has been a long while since we did one. Thanks for the info.

Yes, there was a formal night. I would say about 65% of people really dressed up in nice "formal" or "business" wear. 30% (including me) did resort casual (khakis, button down shirts, etc)... 5 percent didn't care at all.. jeans and t-shirts.

Having a good time was easy. I must have given the impression that we didn't. We had a WONDERFUL time... but I thought I would give a quick synopsis of what I had observed for those who normally cruise longer itineraries who might be considering a 3 nighter.

We had fun, but I don't think I would ever do another 3 nighter again... and I will ALWAYS have a balcony...

:)

We did a 4-night on Monarch last spring and we knew the ship was older, cabins smaller and that we might encounter more of a party crowd. I think most of how you feel depends on your expectations. We wanted a quick get-away for my daughters and I and to enjoy the sun. We had a great time. We found the staff was wonderful, attentive and loved, loved them. We found the passengers were a bit more casual on formal night, but we don't really care what anyone else wears. There were definetely some people who partied hardy, but again, we knew it would be a little more party intensive..no problem. I was a bit taken aback by the TINY cabin, but with only 2 people in a room, it's very do-able for a short cruise. We had one group that was in the MDR for breakfast every morning in pink silk shower caps...never saw that before, but it didn't affect our waiters or the food and atmosphere for us.

Archived