Oceania and Amex Platinum

roberts2005

I decided to revive this issue as not much has been said lately.

Has anyone actually receive the obc.?

I received my cruise docs and I did not have any credit. I wonder if it because I have pre-paid gratuities ($370)

Having used our Plat card for over a dozen cruises (diff lines) that offer this benefit, it will be helpful to ask your TA to get a tracking # from AMX for your $300 SBC. Thus, in the event of a mix-up and your OBC is not there when u board, you can have a reference to get it corrected.

I am traveling on Riviera in the June and have my ticket paperwork here in front of me. It shows on board gratuities pre-paid. I had my agent double check my booking and it also shows the $300 OBC in the system and a wine tasting event on board as part of the Platinum program. But those benefits are not shown on the ticket package that was mailed to me from Oceania. Will I be able to apply the $300 to a beverage package for the two of us should we decide to take one once we have boarded?

Thank you.

I just booked a b2b with platinum am-ex

my agent told me the $300 OBC each leg was not "combinable" with group prepaid gratuities.

She did get a tracking number from am-ex to allow for follow-up if needed.

It also includes a special wine tasting on each leg with a bottle of wine from the tasting.

Doesn't the prepaid gratuities come out of the agent's commission? If so, then why shouldn't you also be able to get the OBC?

I didn't use AmEx and I received both OBC and prepaid gratuities, both of which are coming from the agent's commission, not Oceania or the credit card company.

I believe the entire amount of the cruise must be paid with and Amex card. It doesn't need to be the platinum card but you must own the platinum card in order to receive the benefit.

As for who pays it's mostly the cruise line which is why they don't like to combine this with other benefits.

Who really pays the OBC? Amex, the travel agent or Oceania?

Really pays - I do, you do, everyone who uses a CC does. That is why there is a bit of a merchant revolt on the very high fees they must pay for the perqs on some of these cards. It all adds to the general overhead so in the end is in the price that we all pay - just some get the benefit. Not unlike the complaints from some that they did not like the 'free' shuttles when they were first proposed because it adds to the cost that they did not want to pay.

As it is an amex only promotion I suspect the bulk of the rebate is from amex - whether their card services or their travel arm or a combination only they would know. Even if O kicks in nothing directly they are in effect paying some (or all) of it because every amex transaction they process incurs a substantial fee to amex. And O gets that money from us - the revenue is all one way. From our wallets to the many down the line. If you can get some of it back it is a good thing.

My point is, if Amex is paying because they make money when you charge with their card, why should group fares be excluded. The lower fare reduces the amount Oceania collects not Amex.

Also if the TA is paying your gratuities how does that effect Amex.

At least shouldn't a person get the non-cash benefits if they use their Amex Platinum card

I am still confused. I have read the literature, read the posts and still don't know the answer. When I called Amex direct, they told me in order to get the OBC you had to book thru an "AMEX" travel agency. While I know that there are indeed Amex agencies I would think the vast majority are not officially associated with them; for example, the large internet based agencies such as CruisesOnly and Vacations-to-Go. So here is the question: If you go thru any agency but pay for the cruise with the Platinum card, will I get the OBC and other perks? :confused: Thanks for your help!

I am still confused. I have read the literature, read the posts and still don't know the answer. When I called Amex direct, they told me in order to get the OBC you had to book thru an "AMEX" travel agency. While I know that there are indeed Amex agencies I would think the vast majority are not officially associated with them; for example, the large internet based agencies such as CruisesOnly and Vacations-to-Go. So here is the question: If you go thru any agency but pay for the cruise with the Platinum card, will I get the OBC and other perks? :confused: Thanks for your help!

I have gotten the perks on HAL using a non amex agency. Can't get a straight answer about Oceania

You don't get the OBC and other perks just by using the card to pay for the cruise. There's a procedure your agent has to follow with O. Non-Amex agencies may not be familiar with the process.

Any TA can get you the benefits but he/she must must register you on a special Amex website and get a tracking number which I highly recommend you get a copy of in case there are any problems on board.

You don't get the OBC and other perks just by using the card to pay for the cruise. There's a procedure your agent has to follow with O. Non-Amex agencies may not be familiar with the process.

That is correct. What is not widely known is that you do not have to use your Plat. Amex to pay for the cruise (as posted by wripro) - you just have to own one and use any Amex card for the entire payment (like the SPG Amex card).

I have little use for Amex reward points so I use other credit cards that give me better return towards airline award tickets (Chase Sapphire card gives 2 points for every $ spent on travel and dining - my most common CC charges).

YMMV

See my post above.

If you book through the Plat. Amex TA, you will get Amex Reward points (40K/cruise or so) and the OBC. However, the price for the cruise may not be as good as your regular TA's price. To get the OBC only, you can book with any agency, have a Plat. Amex and use ANY Amex card to pay for the entire cost of cruise. Then your TA has to get the certificate # from the Plat. Amex card membership services.

I believe that this is correct - Col Wes would know for sure :D

• 1 month later...

We recently (last week) tried to secure the AMEX Platinum benefits. We were told by AMEX Platinum that a cruise company can choose not to allow the benefits if you are also receiving benefits such as prepaid gratuities and/or shipboard credit via a TA. Oceania told our TA that Oceania does not allow combining of AMEX Platinum benefits and prepaid gratuities/shipboard credit received from the TA. The TA secures these benefits from Oceania by "having a group" on a cruise. We had to choose either AMEX Platinum benefits OR the TA's "group" benefits. Several other cruise lines, apparently, do allow this "combining" of benefits. Alan

We recently (last week) tried to secure the AMEX Platinum benefits. We were told by AMEX Platinum that a cruise company can choose not to allow the benefits if you are also receiving benefits such as prepaid gratuities and/or shipboard credit via a TA. Oceania told our TA that Oceania does not allow combining of AMEX Platinum benefits and prepaid gratuities/shipboard credit received from the TA. The TA secures these benefits from Oceania by "having a group" on a cruise. We had to choose either AMEX Platinum benefits OR the TA's "group" benefits. Several other cruise lines, apparently, do allow this "combining" of benefits. Alan

According to my TA this is correct; We cannot have both the OBC and Prepaid Gratuities. It's one or the other. For us the Gratuities were more than the credit

Same here, prepaid gratuities forecloses the OBC from Amex Plat.

-----------------------

Helen

It does seem silly because the two things are not related. Amex should be pleased that you are using their credit/charge card to pay for your cruise - isn't that the reason they issued one for you (and me)?

If Amex doesn't see it that way, vote with your CC.

I did - my Sapphire gives me 2X the points/$ spent on travel. For $10K I get 20K UA (or BA) miles (or hotel points). I value this more than a $300 OBC as 20K UA miles costs over $750 when buying them from UA.

YMMV

I agree with Paul. I used to use my Amex platinum for the OBC but now I exclusively use my Chase Sapphire for the double points. They add up very quickly.

As for combining the Amex OBC with prepaid gratuities I can understand why any cruise line will not allow it since they are actually footing the bill for both. HOWEVER if your TA gives you and OBC which he pays for out of his own pocket as opposed to an allowance he receives from O then that should have no bearing since it is cash he is spending. It pays to make sure what kind of gift your TA is giving you.

Archived