Flying into port on the morning of cruise

How many people fly in the morning of cruise? In order to save money my husband and I are considering flying in the morning of our cruise. The flight is cheaper and we won't have to pay for a hotel. Anyone have any advice?

My advice.....1. pray that you flights are on time, 2) pray that you have no weather issues and 3) make sure you have travel insurance

We've never done this, and we never will. That would be way toooo stressful.

On our first cruise, the plane was delayed for quite a few hours just to put a new pilot's seat

in the plane. We realized then, that if we would have been flying on the sail day, we would probably have missed the sailaway!

It's just not worth it!!!!!!!

we have done it twice and I do not recommend it. It was so stressful even though it all went smoothly.

last time we we came in the day before ( driving) so much more relaxed!!!! this july we will be flying in the day before.

My advice.....1. pray that you flights are on time, 2) pray that you have no weather issues and 3) make sure you have travel insurance

Don't do it.

Too stressful.

Too many chances for a delay, and a missed ship.

^^^^^What They Said!!!!^^^^^

I have always flown in the day of the cruise. Is it stressful, yes. Is it risky, yes. But its a risk that I've taken and its worked out for me everytime I've done it. Of course it will probably only take one missed cruise for me to curse myself for the gamble.

We have never had a problem flying in the day of... We have had one direct flight and the others we had connecting flights..... We have also used carnival for our flights with no problem... But much prefer to book my own... I like picking my own times.... Used RCI's choice air with no problem... ( knock on wood)

We also flying in the day of for our Sept cruise.

Not a good idea....we did it once...had no problems, but the odds are that you WILL have a delay and can risk missing your entire vacation.

Fly the day before....it just makes life easier! Include that cost into the over-all cost of your vacation. Plus, you get to start your "vacation mode" a bit earlier! Always a plus! If you must fly in the day of, take the 1st flight of the day...get to your port by noon!

On my first cruise we took Amtrak to the port. There was horrible accident that delayed us for hours. If didn't travel the day before, we may have missed the ship or we would have been cutting it very close. You never know. In twenty years of using Amtrak that never happened on a train that I way on before so I never would expected it. If you need to travel the day due to a budget just make sure you have a lot of extra time in case of a problem.

Be careful, sometimes luggage gets lost on the flight and in transit and you end up on your cruise without clothing. I suggest you guys to cross pack some of your clothes in his bag and some of his clothes in your bag. This way if one of the bags gets lost then you are not completely out of clothing. Just to be safe! Happy cruising!

I could drive to Galveston the day of the cruise, less than 5 hours .. and I dont drive any more (the day of the cruise)... fly in the day of a cruise?? .. would have to be some huge emergency, not saving $20.

Is it worth taking the chance of missing your cruise .. thats the question you have to weigh vs the savings in taking the risk.

Last 2 cruises we've flown in the morning of. Once direct once connecting. It's not been stressful for us but we're not really the worrying type. However, I book early flights arriving around 8-9. I definitely wouldn't recommend it but it's worked for us. When cruises leave on Sunday we come in a day early but for Saturday departures it's pretty much our only option.

Edit: yes it definitely not to save money. We do it out of necessity with vacation schedules. As I said its worked okay for us but I definitely wouldn't do it to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful, sometimes luggage gets lost on the flight and in transit and you end up on your cruise without clothing. I suggest you guys to cross pack some of your clothes in his bag and some of his clothes in your bag. This way if one of the bags gets lost then you are not completely out of clothing. Just to be safe! Happy cruising!

I would suggest this even if you fly in the day before too....

Risky flying in the day of a cruise.

Only way I would risk it is a direct fight and if for any reason flight was cancelled tons of flights to the port giving me extra chances.

And that would only be if the flights were extremely cheap same day.

We drive to ports and make sure we have an extra day for just in case.

Definitely always fly in at least one day early, sometimes more to sight see or if frequent flier seats are limited. Ever since we had a 9am flight to Atlanta (to visit family - not cruise) and did not actually arrive there until 5pm next day :eek:, we do not take the chance. Issues included weather, no airplane, no gate, illegal crew,........

Archived