10th and probably last Royal Caribbean Cruise.

I think what most people find ridiculous Is the fact that the OP has sailed RCI ten times and even stated back in 2008 that they were the only cruise line that doesn't allow booze but is just now making a big deal out of it like she didnt know their policy and will not sail with them again because of it.

That's just purely speculation on my part of course though. :)

Whew! What a runon sentence that was!

It might not have been important to them in 2008. If bringing a bottle of wine onboard makes them happy they should cruise with a line that allows it. A lot of people don't start appreciating good wine until they are older.

I don't agree though that the Royal Caribbean policy is unbelievable. It just happens to be the most restrictive.

Other lines allow wine/champagne and I have yet to see anyone drunk onboard, except on Majesty of the Seas, where someone tried to stab someone and was put in the brig.

Really! You have never seen anyone drunk onboard!!! Except that one time. I am amazed.

All upset over a $20-$30 bottle of wine.:confused: Good thing there are many choices when it comes to cruising.

No, not upset about a $20-$30 bottle of wine...did I even mention price? But now that you mentioned price, I would rather spend $30 on a bottle of good wine and pay a corkage fee to drink with dinner, than to pay $30 for a normally $8-10 bottle of wine and then pay sails tax on top of it.

And many choices of cruising? YES!

I think what most people find ridiculous Is the fact that the OP has sailed RCI ten times and even stated back in 2008 that they were the only cruise line that doesn't allow booze but is just now making a big deal out of it like she didnt know their policy and will not sail with them again because of it.

That's just purely speculation on my part of course though. :)

Whew! What a runon sentence that was!

AND, I don't smuggle booze. I don't drink "booze", I drink nice wines. And yes, many smuggle booze, wine, whatever..I don't. I didn't want to do that and that was the reason I was asking in the first place. (BTW, I don't believe I stated that "back in 2008 that they didn't allow it".....I was surprise because we DID bring it on then.

I know how you feel. I'm sure they will SELL you enough to go hog wild! We generally find a better deal with Princess so haven't been on RCCL in a while but found a really good deal on a Bermuda cruise so in Sept we will be sailing. While in port we will have adult beverages! It really bugs me as well and I did have a comment to the sales rep last week. Just got my 'not allowed and will not be in the future' email from someone at RCCL and I specifically mentioned how I wish they would do as competitors do and no dice. Guess they think we will come anyway. I will check other lines first though.

I agree. That was the point I was trying to make.

Well you need to make choices that you feel are in your best interest. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, thanks for sharing yours.

Eric

Thank you for your kind response, Eric. :)

I'm feeling a little battered....:(

I think you are certainly entitled to move to another line if you disagree with the policy and only wonder why it took ten cruises to come to that decision. However, in light of the recent TV expose, I think it is highly unlikely that your protest or that of any others will have any chance of getting RCI to change their policy. More likely they will increase their vigilance and confiscate more wine and liquor that might have escaped notice in the past.

I'm not protesting...but as times goes by, tastes and expectations change. I also said, that I "probably" would not sail again, not that I never would.

More than likely I will look at other cruise lines first and then decide....that's all.

So basically you choose your cruise line by alcohol policy. I can see where that would make or break a vacation.

Ship size, atmosphere, amenities, itineraries, etc. are not important, its all about being able to bring your precious bottle of wine on with you.

Dozens of bars are not enough. You need your little nippy bottle in your room.

Excuse me? I don't have nor have I ever had, a little nippy bottle in my room. :roll eyes:

Very nice.

No, not upset about a $20-$30 bottle of wine...did I even mention price? But now that you mentioned price, I would rather spend $30 on a bottle of good wine and pay a corkage fee to drink with dinner, than to pay $30 for a normally $8-10 bottle of wine and then pay sails tax on top of it.

And many choices of cruising? YES!

For one thing, I don't think you can get a $30 bottle of wine on Royal Caribbean anymore. Probably $34-$38 for the real cheap stuff. Above $40 for decent and above $60 for anything good. That said, that is no different from a land based good Steak/Chop House Restaurant.

My DH and I used to always order a bottle of wine @ $60-75 bucks or so when we would frequent a fine Steak House. Finally we realized it was a pretty stupid way to spend our money. Now we each get a Martini (with a good

vodka) and then he orders a beer and I a glass of wine. Much cheaper than a bottle of wine and just as enjoyable.

If we want to drink really good wines we buy them at home. There are many really great places to go to get good wines at good prices. Much better than paying an up charge of more than 100% at a restaurant or on the Ship.

So trying drinking mixed drinks or better yet good martinis, the up charge on the Ship is much more in line with a regular bar charge on land. And a good Martini for $11-15 bucks carries a lot more bang for your buck than any glass of wine. JMO.

Oh and did you mean to spell "sales tax" as "sails tax", actually pretty funny if you did.

Please don't let one bottle of champagne ruin this for you. Is this the worst thing that can happen? I highly doubt it ruined your cruise. Look at it this way, one less thing to pack and carry. I know it's easy for me to say. I wasn't there.

Shake it off and now you know for the future. If it was that much of a celebration you would have found a way regardless. I hope you enjoyed your cruise, theres nothing like them.

Thanks for your kind response. You and a very few others found a way to make your point without bullying or belittling.

I agree, I love cruising and my cruise on Monday will be my 21st......this issue certainly does not make or break my cruise.

To the some of you other posters:

My mistake for even saying anything...I never would have imagined that people would come to the defense of a cruise line at the expense of the feelings of another human being. I didn't attack anyone, yet most of the posts here have done just that.

So all of you who have felt a need to attack me, I hope you are satisfied that you got to set me straight and made me feel like crap....I guess that was your intention....well done.

Thanks for your kind response. You and a very few others found a way to make your point without bullying or belittling.

I agree, I love cruising and my cruise on Monday will be my 21st......this issue certainly does not make or break my cruise.

To the some of you other posters:

My mistake for even saying anything...I never would have imagined that people would come to the defense of a cruise line at the expense of the feelings of another human being. I didn't attack anyone, yet most of the posts here have done just that.

So all of you who have felt a need to attack me, I hope you are satisfied that you got to set me straight and made me feel like crap....I guess that was your intention....well done.

Don't worry about THOSE posters. We all know who they are and they have to put people down in order to feel good about themselves.

For one thing, I don't think you can get a $30 bottle of wine on Royal Caribbean anymore. Probably $34-$38 for the real cheap stuff. Above $40 for decent and above $60 for anything good. That said, that is no different from a land based good Steak/Chop House Restaurant.

My DH and I used to always order a bottle of wine @ $60-75 bucks or so when we would frequent a fine Steak House. Finally we realized it was a pretty stupid way to spend our money. Now we each get a Martini (with a good

vodka) and then he orders a beer and I a glass of wine. Much cheaper than a bottle of wine and just as enjoyable.

If we want to drink really good wines we buy them at home. There are many really great places to go to get good wines at good prices. Much better than paying an up charge of more than 100% at a restaurant or on the Ship.

So trying drinking mixed drinks or better yet good martinis, the up charge on the Ship is much more in line with a regular bar charge on land. And a good Martini for $11-15 bucks carries a lot more bang for your buck than any glass of wine. JMO.

Oh and did you mean to spell "sales tax" as "sails tax", actually pretty funny if you did.

LOL! No I didn't mean too...but when I saw that I did that..I just left it like that!

So exactly how many threads do you need to start on the same subject. You do know they will sell you all the wine, champagne and other alcohol you might want, you just need to buy it from them.

When I see comments like this.....I often wonder if the poster would be entirely comfortable if hotels did the same????? Banning you bringing I outside food or adult drinks...

When I see comments like this.....I often wonder if the poster would be entirely comfortable if hotels did the same????? Banning you bringing I outside food or adult drinks...

6andy6, You would not believe(or maybe you would), the abuse I have been taking over starting this thread and another discussion about the same topic. Actually the comment you were referring to, is one of the milder ones. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of, is that on a computer folks feel very comfortable "typing" things that they wouldn't normally "say" face to face with someone.

Folks have actually looked at my number of posts and then read back to posts I made back in 2008, so they could say, "I told you so"....

:eek:

I find it believable. I'm glad my life doesn't revolve around alcohol to the point I need to carry it onboard. On the bright side, maybe this will mean price drops for me and I'll have more money to pay for the 1-3 drinks I may have on a cruise.

Your life doesn't have to revolve around alcohol to have a special bottle of wine or bubbly that you wish to bring aboard, but that's a nifty wide brush you're using there, may wish to knock it down a size or ten.

Say you have a bottle of wine you put down 21 years ago when your child was born. For their 21st birthday they want to go on a cruise and you're looking forward to consuming that bottle with them on their 21st birthday. It would seem you can do this on every line. As long as it is not RCCL (as an aside it seems rather strange that RCCL would let you bring alcohol on board their other lines - that possible reasoning of that rule is fascinating er flame war worthy).

I think the big problem with RCL's policy is that they don't appear to have anything really special to drink as an alternative for people wanting to bring a favourite wine on board. I have no problem with them wanting to make money but the wine packages look woeful.

We are having a celebration for grandmas 70th and wanted something super ( I mean a Penfold's Hill of Grace sort of super or something of a similar caliber) but it appears we cannot have it at any price because of the sad selection. Correct me if I am wrong and there is some secret selection hidden away somewhere when we get on board.

AND, I don't smuggle booze. I don't drink "booze", I drink nice wines.

Booze is a slang term for "alcoholic drink"......your "nice wines" have alcohol do they not? :confused:

Im over this. I have not jumped on you and I simply dont care. If you choose another cruiseline because they will let you bring your "nice wines" on board then so be it.

I just find it kind of strange that you would come on this forum and berate a cruiseline that you have known the alcohol policy of and have even been quoted as knowing said policy in previous posts you have posted here. Then you want to cry foul and say you have taken abuse over this.

Have a nice day and enjoy your "nice wines" on another cruise line if thats what you wish to do :)

I also said, that I "probably" would not sail again, not that I never would.

:confused:

, I will no longer sail with them after this cruise(my 10th RCL cruise). I will cruise with those cruise lines that show this 59 year old some respect.

Archived