Cruising the North Sea in September

We're heading off on a cruise this fall through the North Sea for 14 days on the Norwegian Jade. If you've done a cruise before in this area at this time of year, what should we expect of the weather? Is the water a little more rough? I don't see it being sun-bathing weather seeing that we'll be cruising from Copenhagen to Iceland and back, and will be somewhat close to the Arctic Circle, but I thought I'd do some research so I know how to pack for us and the kids.

Any information you could have would be great. :)

I've made that trip twice. It can be extremely rough with varying weather conditions that are well into autumn weather. Expect rain, wind and much shorter hours of daylight.

Be prepared to prevent and deal with seasickness.

I adore Iceland but will return by airplane. I've had enough of being on the North Atlantic (and I have Viking blood). My family is generally from the area where you will be cruising. I wanted to experience the islands and people of that area and needed to do it by boat.

I tried to look up your cruise but the NCL web site if not working well right now. The only trip I can find is on the NCL Sun.

When you cruise in September will make a difference with the end of the month being colder and wetter.

I was updating my original post when you posted.

My 2 trips totaled about 25 days. The latest in the summer season I've sailed in those areas was mid-August.

You will be crossing the North Sea twice and doing the crossing of the North Atlantic from Scotland and back to Scotland.

I like the costs of your cruise, but my husband won't do it again. He was miserable (sea sick) going from Scotland (Shetland) to Iceland and the return. We did not go to Ireland at all.

Frankly, I don't know what else to say. You need to do serious research. I had the extremely strong motivation to see the islands of my family's long history and the ability to handle the rough seas. I rather enjoyed it all. Obviously my husband didn't.

Here is the link to the cruise you are discussing. http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?loc=N%3D4294934557%26Ne%3D8%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key&date_from=09%2F12&date_end=09%2F12&dur=N%3D4294934557%2B8053%26Ne%3D12%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CGTEQ%2B1346457600%257Cp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CLTEQ%2B1349049599%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key%26q%3Dquery&from=N%3D4294934557%2B8053%2B4294963136%26Ne%3D8050%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CGTEQ%2B1346457600%257Cp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CLTEQ%2B1349049599%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key%26q%3Dquery&ship=undefined&qs=N%3D4294934557%2B8053%2B4294963136%26Ne%3D8050%26Nf%3Dp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CGTEQ%2B1346457600%257Cp_Sail_Date_Epoch%257CLTEQ%2B1349049599%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_Record_Type%253AI%252Cp_Fare_Code%253ABF%2529%26Nu%3Dp_Key&older=no&latitudes=no&location_select=Where+do+you+live%3F&location=

I would post your question on the NCL board to see what others have to say. I realize that my answers sound very negative but I am being honest based on our own experiences.

It can be rough, it can be smooth....I've been on ferries across the North Sea when you wouldn't know you were at sea, but again, I've known strong waves, even in summer. The area round the British Isles and Northern Europe catches the last dregs of Caribbean hurricanes, so a wind can swirl up suddenly, though not at hurricane fury.

I think it might be the Sun you're on- Jade normally cruises from Venice.:confused:

Take layers of clothes, so that you've long sleeves to cover T shirts, and some kind of rainwear. By September the sea will have warmed up, but it can still be chilly on deck.

It will be a fascinating cruise, and you'll probably wonder why you worried..

Enjoy! :D

Jo.

• 3 months later...

We sailed around the horn.... talk about rough, but the kind that rocks you to sleep. We are also going on the Sept 16th NCL Sun cruise - Iceland and the rest....look a bit forward to the bounce. Anyone playing golf in Scotland for the day when we port in Greenock?

We sailed around the horn.... talk about rough, but the kind that rocks you to sleep. We are also going on the Sept 16th NCL Sun cruise - Iceland and the rest....look a bit forward to the bounce. Anyone playing golf in Scotland for the day when we port in Greenock?

Hi yodaman, I'm also going to be on the Sun's September 16th sailing. We'd love for you to join us over on our roll call? (Click here to go to the last page of our roll call thread.) We have a Meet-&-Greet set up for our first sea day and we'd love for you to attend. As it turns out, there are quite a few on our sailing that have also been "around the Horn" and no doubt, we'll be getting together to share sea stories.

And who knows? Maybe you'll even find a golfer or two in the group.

Archived