Need advise from a women's perspective. When to tell the wife she's going on a cruise

A Sixth?

Surprising my wife with a cruise to Alaska in a few days, she thinks we're just heading to Vancouver for a family visit. We fly out this weekend.

A female workmate suggested "full disclosure" today at a school function....

(We pack VERY light and a visit to Vancouver isn't the same as a Alaska cruise. )

Is a surprise a SURPRISE leading to a physical beating :o if I don't tell her until we are in the air? :o

I sprung for a Sky Suite if that makes any difference and it's out 30th anniversary gift a year and two weeks late. :o

You need to tell her before you fly. She will want to take the right wardrobe selection and combinations fopr a cruise, believe me!

It will still be a lovely surprise, and I'm sure she will be delighted. I only wish my DH would do the same. Or at least something similar!

Kath

How long is a few days? If you are talking this weekend - then it is time for full disclosure! She will almost certainly want to pack differently (dresses, a few more warm clothes, shoes, etc) and you probably should give her time to do that.

Now - if you are going to Vancouver for a few days with family, then on to the cruise - maybe in Vancouver - if you have factored shopping expenses into the cruise vacation costs!

I love being surprised and hubby does a pretty good job - but trust me - he has learned to give me some time if it involves a trip - I need to prep clothes, get some new things if necessary, etc. She will pack very differently for an Alaskan Cruise rather than some days with family.

It is still a surprise even with a few days notice. And a very nice surprise - it's great when the spouse plans something and takes care of all the details. Good job!!

I would consider full disclosure very soon - like maybe over a nice dinner tonight, something Alaskan-y - Salmon or something like that.

Good luck!!! Definitely let us know what you decide (and how she takes it!!):p

I'd tell her now, it will be an equally wonderful surprise but I would want to make sure I had everything I'd want for an Alaska cruise.

Might want to keep the suite a secret though! How fun!!

Just celebrated our 30th on Silhouette end of March. We did Alaska two years ago and it was one of our favorite cruises ever. Get ready to take tons of photo's. If you are going soon bring a warm jacket and gloves for the glaciers and whale watching. We were in Mendenhall and it was 80 degrees (end of May). The reason I am telling you this is so she can pack her own clothes and so that you bring long sleeves and short sleeves. Weather is unpredictable and I am sure she would like to choose what she will wear.

Love surprises and I am sure that when you tell her it will be a surprise.:eek:

Happy Sailing and Happy Anniversary you picked a great cruise!

Tell her right away or be ready to buy an entire new wardrobe for her. Would she be taking sturdy walking shoes to Vancouver? Raingear? Nice clothes for evening (even if you don't do formal). Insect repellent? Extra socks? etc.etc.

How long is a few days? If you are talking this weekend - then it is time for full disclosure! She will almost certainly want to pack differently (dresses, a few more warm clothes, shoes, etc) and you probably should give her time to do that.

Now - if you are going to Vancouver for a few days with family, then on to the cruise - maybe in Vancouver - if you have factored shopping expenses into the cruise vacation costs!

I love being surprised and hubby does a pretty good job - but trust me - he has learned to give me some time if it involves a trip - I need to prep clothes, get some new things if necessary, etc. She will pack very differently for an Alaskan Cruise rather than some days with family.

It is still a surprise even with a few days notice. And a very nice surprise - it's great when the spouse plans something and takes care of all the details. Good job!!

I would consider full disclosure very soon - like maybe over a nice dinner tonight, something Alaskan-y - Salmon or something like that.

Good luck!!! Definitely let us know what you decide (and how she takes it!!):p

We leave in 3 1/2 days... (gulp). :eek:

We aren't actually visiting anyone this time.... they'd blab and the surprise would have been lost, and by a sad coincidence I won't go into, I saw them all last month.

Ohhh yeah - definitely time to tell her - and be prepared for a shopping spree in the next 2 days!

Keep the suite part a seperate surprise though - that will be a bonus once onboard!

Wow- good luck!! Definitely let us know how it goes! :D

I concur with the above posters......great surprise ! How about taking her out for a drink , make a homemade card with little drawings of Alaska and the cruise ship...on the cover of the card write "Guess What?" and inside you can write "We´re going to Alaska!Start packing!"

Keep the suite as a surprise....very sweet gesture , BTW!

Kim

don't tell her about the suite! What a great surprise. I am sure she will know when you go to the port as you will have priority boarding.

Have a wonderful time in beautiful Vancouver. We are headed there in 2014. We did Seattle last time and loved it. Our friends have been to Vancouver many times and they love it. Enjoy.

Please, please tell your wife ............ right now! She will be thrilled that you planned such a wonderful surprise but a few days' notice so she can get her packing right is essential. You don't need to tell her about the suite - so that will still be a surprise.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Please, please tell your wife ............ right now! She will be thrilled that you planned such a wonderful surprise but a few days' notice so she can get her packing right is essential. You don't need to tell her about the suite - so that will still be a surprise.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

All great advise,

Should I tell her I put one of my kidneys on Craigs List to pay for all this... or keep it a secret along with the fact we're in a Sky Suite? :p

We are sailing on Royal Caribbeans Allure of the Seas in September for our 25th wedding anniversary. We usually have a balcony cabin but I have booked a suite this time as an anniversary surprise for my husband. Not in the same league as your wife's surprise I know, but I'm hoping he will enjoy it and not complain too much when he finds out how many extra $$$$ it cost :eek:.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbeans Allure of the Seas in September for our 25th wedding anniversary. We usually have a balcony cabin but I have booked a suite this time as an anniversary surprise for my husband. Not in the same league as your wife's surprise I know, but I'm hoping he will enjoy it and not complain too much when he finds out how many extra $$$$ it cost :eek:.

I am kidding for a large part about the cost for the suite. Our online TA is a HUGE Celebrity booker and as the price of the cruise went down we went from an inside to a CC then a Suite for a few extra $$$ ( over a grand but what-the-heck-eh?)

All great advise,

Should I tell her I put one of my kidneys on Craigs List to pay for all this... or keep it a secret along with the fact we're in a Sky Suite? :p

Def tell her about the kidney. That way she won't smack you there for giving her such short notice. Bruised kindeys don't sell too well on Craigs List. You might get enough for an inside stateroom though. lol

Great way to score major points with the wife. Enjoy your cruise!

def tell her about the kidney. That way she won't smack you there for giving her such short notice. Bruised kindeys don't sell too well on craigs list. You might get enough for an inside stateroom though. Lol

great way to score major points with the wife. Enjoy your cruise!

lol!!!

Ohhh yeah - definitely time to tell her - and be prepared for a shopping spree in the next 2 days!

Keep the suite part a seperate surprise though - that will be a bonus once onboard!

She needs time to pack for it. She'll still be delighted, I'm sure.:D

She needs time to pack for it. She'll still be delighted, I'm sure.:D

curtdesilets, we're still a few short of our roll call

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruisecritic/home.do

Where are the police when you need them eh? :p:D:D:D

I'm telling her tonight, not about the Shy Suite thought...

Thanks for all the great advise.

I am a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.:D

Definitely this! That way she can pack appropriately, and still have a surprise when she gets there!

In March 2010, Sam Everenst surprised his wife, Marge, on a Friday evening while they were packing for a 7:48AM flight to Miami the next morning. He told her that they weren't going to stay on South Beach but would instead be taking a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Their neighbor, Bertha Stone, heard a blood curdling scream and dialed 911. By the time the police realized that Marge was just a bit freaked out about the number of formal and casual outfits she had to pack they'd subdued Sam and beat him silly. All worked out fine in the end as Sam was able to rent a scooter and could get around most of the ship on his own even without full use of his right leg and arm.

There are many stories like this and the results are overall not very good. Bill Worthingstein surprised his wife, Sylvia, and she didn't *%$*& once during the entire cruise or for nearly three months after they returned home. Robert Cuffner still has a rolling pin sized dent 3 inches above his left ear.

But it doesn't always end badly, Frank Johnson's wife Mary was thrilled even though he told her on the way to the airport and to this day tells all her friends, ad nausium, about the way Frank surprised her with the vacation of a lifetime and goes endlessly on raving about what a sweetheart he is and it has been nearly four years already.

Archived