Need advise from a women's perspective. When to tell the wife she's going on a cruise

A Sixth?

I wouldn't like to be "last minute" suprised with a cruise. I absolutely love the pre-cruise anticipation and learning about new ports, people and places I will visit. Please tell her about the cruise and provide her with fun travel books about the places you will visit. Give her time to shop for some special things to wear on the cruise. If you truly want to surprise her, then perhaps a suite upgrade or champagne in your stateroom.

Yep, she definitely injured him so he can't type.

I'm with the gift idea too.........a pair of gloves with a note suggesting they will be needed for the Alaskan cruise. Hope it all goes well. I would be thrilled with a surprise like that but I know it would never happen.

and if he didn't...it sure would make for some great stories later on! :p;)

I agree- I would crack up showing pictures of me in a formal dress that DH remembered to pack while wearing tennis shoes or flip flops because he forgot my heels (except he wouldn't...he has really good attention to detail. He'd probably just look through old cruise pictures to see what kind of stuff I wore to dinner.)

And if anyone on the cruise wanted to know why I was wearing tennies on formal night (if they didn't assume I had foot issues) I could joyously claim "because my wonderful husband surprised me with a cruise!" and then roll my eyes and say "guess who did the packing?" It would get tons of laughs.

This is a NEED to Know, and WE need to know, what happened???

I always have to try my cruise clothes on ahead of time to make sure they still fit- I'd need extra time to shop! (or diet) no- shop. lol

Surprising my wife with a cruise to Alaska in a few days, she thinks we're just heading to Vancouver for a family visit. We fly out this weekend.

A female workmate suggested "full disclosure" today at a school function....

(We pack VERY light and a visit to Vancouver isn't the same as a Alaska cruise. )

Is a surprise a SURPRISE leading to a physical beating :o if I don't tell her until we are in the air? :o

I sprung for a Sky Suite if that makes any difference and it's out 30th anniversary gift a year and two weeks late. :o

You are great!!

That being said

1. Book her a hair appt & mani pedi the night prior

2. Have her pack the bag,then get a sister/ best friend to pick out & pack the extras (formal wear, jewelry etc)

3.Have bottle of champagne & some treats ready when she is back from the beauty parlor

then break the news

Have great cruise

Carole

He can't even pack for himself' date=' let alone for me. In this situation I'd want to know about the cruise and pack for myself. Oh, and have enough time to get a fresh pedicure before we leave![/quote']

I feel your pain. My DH can't pack either. I always have to help him. Although last cruise he made a list and did a pretty good job. After 16 cruises he's getting the hang of it. But he'd never be able to pack for me.

I agree- I would crack up showing pictures of me in a formal dress that DH remembered to pack while wearing tennis shoes or flip flops because he forgot my heels (except he wouldn't...he has really good attention to detail. He'd probably just look through old cruise pictures to see what kind of stuff I wore to dinner.)

And if anyone on the cruise wanted to know why I was wearing tennies on formal night (if they didn't assume I had foot issues) I could joyously claim "because my wonderful husband surprised me with a cruise!" and then roll my eyes and say "guess who did the packing?" It would get tons of laughs.

Exactly! I love it! :D;)

All great advise,

Should I tell her I put one of my kidneys on Craigs List to pay for all this... or keep it a secret along with the fact we're in a Sky Suite? :p

What a wonderful and sweet surprise! I hope you and your wife have an amazing trip. Have you told her yet?

We are going to Alaska in July for our 25th Anniversary. Hmmm, too bad we didn't know about Kidneys on Craig's List. DH donated one of his kidneys last summer to an 11 year old boy. What he got for it was the satisfaction of knowing he helped save a life. And I got confirmation that I married one incredible, selfless man. But, we could have been in the Penthouse Suite? :confused:

Told her about the cruise and she couldn't have been happier. (Secretly I suspect visiting my family wasn't on her top-ten list)

She didn't seem too concerned about what to bring as she is an expert in the light packing industry.

Next little surprise, that we're in the Sky Suite not an obstructed balcony. :p

I'll report back in a few days when we board the Century. :D

I'm so glad you told her. We went on an Alaskan cruise in the beginning of June last year and it was so cold! Clothes packed for Vancouver would never suffice, especially if you take a rafting or glacier tour. Seriously, however cold you think it will be... think colder! Have a wonderful time.

I feel your pain. My DH can't pack either. I always have to help him. Although last cruise he made a list and did a pretty good job. After 16 cruises he's getting the hang of it. But he'd never be able to pack for me.

There is NO WAY my DH could pack for me!! We are toward the end of a six week vacation that started with a two week TA, then four weeks in France and Englland. When we unpacked on the cruise, he had brought two, count 'em TWO, shirts other than a few polos!! We do MDR every night. He remembered a suit, but just two shirts! Luckily we found two on the ship that fit him and were reasonably priced!

Then we rented an apartment in Paris, and he left his stash of clean undershorts under the bathroom sink! Luckily we were still in Paris when he discovered this so we could still retrieve them. He did pack three pairs of shorts which never got worn, however. So I don't think packing for me would be a good idea. . .

Told her about the cruise and she couldn't have been happier. (Secretly I suspect visiting my family wasn't on her top-ten list)

She didn't seem too concerned about what to bring as she is an expert in the light packing industry.

Next little surprise, that we're in the Sky Suite not an obstructed balcony. :p

I'll report back in a few days when we board the Century. :D

Excellent - but you know us women - we want details!!! Did you do it over a special dinner? Did you make a card that told here? Seriously - we are on a need to know basis here!!! ;):D

Glad she is excited - the Suite will be a great extra surprise once onboard! I still hold to the notion that she would rather pack her clothes for the cruise herself - expecially being an expert packer - she will know exactly what to take to where with what!

Great job and wonderful surprise! (you do know we'll want an update on your return too - how she responded to the suite, in general terms of course!) Enjoy!!

This is a NEED to Know, and WE need to know, what happened???

I always have to try my cruise clothes on ahead of time to make sure they still fit- I'd need extra time to shop! (or diet) no- shop. lol

oh my gosh...I do this too:D

Whew! When I first read your question and saw the time limitation, I had to go right to the end of this thread. So happy you asked here, so happy you told her so she could pack right, so happy that you decided to keep the suite a surprise - you are keeping that a surprise, right? That one's ok to spring on her. It's ok to tell her now, but if you haven't yet, have the camera ready at the ship to capture the moment.

So happy that you two are celebrating your anniversary in this most lovely, most grand, and just enough of a surprise, way.

Have a great time.

Susan

For those who need the details there's not really much to tell.

Joni knew we were heading to Vancouver and had taken the week off awhile ago.

When she got home, I had her happy hour scotch ready with the Celebrity Cruises book 2011/2012 open to the Century. Neatly folded into the page was the original reservation print-out I made with an online TA for an interior.... I told her I believed we'd get an upgrade to Obstructed Balcony ( I'm not sure there is such a thing) and she was pretty darn happy about the whole thing. :D

Packing, we leave our carry-on bags partly packed all the time, and since we are Elite and get the laundry perks plan to finish packing the few things we'll bring tomorrow night. I'll take ten minutes, Joni one hour.:o

You are truly romantic. A surprise cruise in a suite. You are terrific. You know your wife best. If she is spontaneous, either suggest that she pack a few nicer outfits for a fancy restaurant or pack some of her dressier clothes in your suitcase. If she is critical and needs high maintenance, tell her. I love surprises. One of the best ever vacations was a complete surprise. I got into the car thinking that we were just spending a few days at the Jersey shore. Instead we went to resort in the Caribbean. I had a small carryon with enough clothes for a few days. Amazing how little you need to take. If you need something, buy it on the ship or in Alaska. Have a great time. Please post after the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
ALL MEN should follow this advice....it is just so very true and funny

ANDREW

Great video, Andrew, but a bit scary for me:

"Never try to surprise a woman!" :eek:

Ouch.... I'm too far down the path now, but I'm in the midst of a year-long process of surprising my wife with a cruise!

Hopefully the clues I'm giving her throughout the year might help soften the blow a bit.

I loved this advice from the video: "The minute you tell her what you're going to do... you just got a point and you haven't done it yet."

Maybe I'll tell her more than I originally planned to, but I suspect that I won't be able to resist still leaving some things as a surprise. ;)

Archived