Common courtesy?

This is a question for both non-smokers and smokers.

What would a smoker accept as a form of communication between their self and a non-smoker on balconies next to each other?

Both have rights - is there a way something could be worked out so that both parties could enjoy their balconies without anyone being put out?

Tough question and I'm sure there will be a lot of strong emotions in some answers. I don't smoke, my husband does. We book a balcony for 2 reasons. He likes to watch the water but he also likes the convenience of going out there to smoke. He would NEVER smoke in the cabin even IF it were allowed. Don't know how he would respond if ask politely. Probably favorably. But if you have a problem with a next door smoker, just don't get snobby or rude. You tend to get back what you throw out.

I personally will smoke in the morning on my balcony, probably 2-3. Maybe another 2 before lunch and maybe 1 late afternoon. At night I will smoke 2-3 before I go to bed. The rest of the time I will smoke elsewhere in the public smoking areas. I smoke up to a pack a day. I would not be rude if someone asked me to stop smoking but I would most likely ignore it unless I was about to head out to a public area where I could continue. I hate being discriminated for doing something legal. I will make an effort to not offend people with my smoking. I am generally a sensitive and caring person. But if Carnival says I can not smoke in my room but I can on the balcony then I will. It's a big open air world and the 20 knot wind will keep a breeze going and no one will get too much second-hand smoke. Some people get upset just getting a hint of smoke. Obviously, if I see a cloud of smoke permeating the balcony then I will put it out and wait until I can go to a more open public space. I don't need someone to tell me. I know this may not be the answer you are looking for but it's my opinion.

I don't mean any disrespect but I will defend my right to smoke as long as I am not creating a smoke den.

When I am on my balcony, I make a point of asking my neighbors if they mind me smoking.

If they do mind, I tell them if they rap on the balcony divider, I will put it out, no problems.

I figure they should be able to enjoy their balcony also.

What would a smoker accept as a form of communication between their self and a non-smoker on balconies next to each other?

Both have rights - is there a way something could be worked out so that both parties could enjoy their balconies without anyone being put out?

I am sure there could be as there always has with my balcony neighbours but I will never stop smoking in a allowed area on a ship...since we have so few...

I haven't smoked for 19 months using a PV[personal vaporizer also known as a E-cigg] When I did smoke ciggs I always asked my neighbours if my smoke bothered them. They had responses : NO,Not yet. Never a yes it does. If they were eating [i could hear the forks on plates] I would go up on deck. If someone said it does annoy me I would try to be more aware of when they were out or not. I'm glad I don't smoke them stinky things anymore.

When I am on my balcony, I make a point of asking my neighbors if they mind me smoking. If they do mind, I tell them if they rap on the balcony divider, I will put it out, no problems. I figure they should be able to enjoy their balcony also.

Very kind and thoughtful of you. :) Not everyone feels this way.

Having said that...

I am sure there could be as there always has with my balcony neighbours but I will never stop smoking in a allowed area on a ship...since we have so few...

Quite true. If we choose to sail on a cruise line which allows smoking on the balcony, we have no recourse if a neighbor is, indeed, smoking out there. S/he is allowed to, end of story.

We have never sailed Carnival but absolutely have sailed other lines where smoking on the balcony was permitted. Yes, we have been bothered by smoke, but since we knew it going in, there was nothing to be done. On our Med cruise last year, we booked the most forward balcony cabin, hoping to reduce the amount of smoke. Unless the ship was docked, the smoke blew backward and we weren't bothered as much on that cruise. :)

You take your chances. :)

DH & I both smoke, we book a balcony so we can enjoy a cig out there. I would put it out if someone was annoyed by it, but within reason. Like if they were annoyed 24/7 I might just have to annoy them. It is open air, especially when ship is moving. The smoke should be minimal. But if you're concerned still, book a forward cabin or on the spa deck (if available). Also remember that the serenity area is smoke free. We tend to be out & about during the day & only smoke in the designated areas. So our neighbors won't usually be bothered by our smoke during the daytime. Morning & evening are a totally different story tho, that's when we'll be smoking on our balcony the most.

I tell them if they rap on the balcony ...........

When I first scanned this post, I had a vision. If you watch AGT you will know what I mean.

"If I am out on the balcony having a toke,

Tell me if you are bothered by the smoke.

You may like to go out to enjoy the air,

but don't be mean like a bear.

I like to sit and watch the sea,

just don't tell me to go climb a tree"

Whatcha going to do, whatcha going to do.....whatcha going to do, watcha going to do.?

Yea.... have the smokers book cabins on the "smoking side" of the ship, and Non Smokers have other.. In the case of aft balconys. Same applys except ones in middle at the dividing line between the 2 would have a conflict.. If all the "smoking" balconys are taken.. Oh well.. It is what it Is.. Thats why you book several months to a year in advance.:rolleyes:.

I know that rule dosent apply, but it would be nice if it did..

Im not one of those that complains.. I can deal with it.. Im just glad I never gotten that stupid habit.. There is no benifit to it.. Your clothes smell, your breath smells, your car/ home smells, paint turns yellow over time, etc.. If people like smoking so much, they need to work for the fire dept, there they have all the smoke they want.. Breathe it in.. Enjoy...

Do non-smokers not have any rights on a balcony?

Just would like to know before spending alot of money for the balcony.

Thanks,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but no, non-smokers do not have any rights on a balcony as CCL's policy allows cigarette smoking on the balconies. That being said, many smokers will respond to politely worded requests as evidenced by many of the responses. (I am a former smoker and booked a balcony knowing the risks.)

When I am on my balcony, I make a point of asking my neighbors if they mind me smoking.

If they do mind, I tell them if they rap on the balcony divider, I will put it out, no problems.

I figure they should be able to enjoy their balcony also.

Would love having you (and others like you) as a "balcony neighbor." :)

I'm a non-smoker and normally not bothered by a neighbor's smoke too much, and I would never, ever ask them to stop. But it would be nice to be asked, like you do. I don't mind someone smoking 1-2 while they're out on their balcony, but our last cruise (Freedom) the neighbors smoked a lot more, probably because they couldn't smoke inside their room.

When we were moving it wasn't bad, but I remember one day when we were in port I just wanted to spend a couple of hours reading on our balcony since I couldn't find a spot anywhere on the ship where music wasn't being played/piped in over the speakers. But. Our neighbors were out on their balcony smoking, the entire time, and since the ship wasn't moving the smell was stronger. I still wouldn't ask them to stop though, as I know it is their "right" to smoke out there. But what about the "rights" of the non-smoker too?

I do believe eventually the balconies will be non-smoking.

I've never had a balcony before but I do have one booked for next month. I would think that there would be a pretty good breeze on the balconies. Doesn't that kinda mitigate this a little?

In a word, yes. Much is made over smoking on balconies when in actuality not many people stay on their balcony and smoke for hours on end. Most cigarette smokers have one, which takes about 5 minutes, and then retreat to inside their cabins or some other place on the ship. I'm a cigar smoker and have one on the balcony from time to time but not routinely. Even the shortest cigar takes about an hour to smoke if I'm going to commit that much time to the balcony it's usually late in the evening. I'd rather be on deck with the ocean breeze all around me.

I would not worry too much about smoke on your balcony. It's not as bad as you think.

In a word, yes. Much is made over smoking on balconies when in actuality not many people stay on their balcony and smoke for hours on end. Most cigarette smokers have one, which takes about 5 minutes, and then retreat to inside their cabins or some other place on the ship. I'm a cigar smoker and have one on the balcony from time to time but not routinely. Even the shortest cigar takes about an hour to smoke if I'm going to commit that much time to the balcony it's usually late in the evening. I'd rather be on deck with the ocean breeze all around me.

I would not worry too much about smoke on your balcony. It's not as bad as you think.

Exactly, I'll have a few cigars during the course of the week, but it's usually at 10 or 11 at night, and there is rarely anyone else out on their balconies for 5 rooms on either side...

Archived