Being nice to the bus drivers...

Lowie

Why am I noticing so many posts that reiterate the fact that we should "ask nicely" or "say good morning then ask for directions" to the bus drivers???

It's not that I would be rude to a driver... Or well, anyone... But I get the feeling that people feel that the drivers will be less than helpful unless we kiss some tush.

So, are the drivers on a power trip and expect behind smooches or do some CC posters feel we are an impolite group?

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Why am I noticing so many posts that reiterate the fact that we should "ask nicely" or "say good morning then ask for directions" to the bus drivers???

It's not that I would be rude to a driver... Or well, anyone... But I get the feeling that people feel that the drivers will be less than helpful unless we kiss some tush.

So, are the drivers on a power trip and expect behind smooches or do some CC posters feel we are an impolite group?

It is not just the bus drivers in Bermuda. You can't just go up to a local and ask a question, you should always start with hello or good aftenoon. Bermudians are a very polite and respectful people and expect the same in kind. It is also not a matter of "kissing tush" it is just a matter of being in a foreign country and being respectful.

We've been to Bermuda a bunch of times and have taken pretty much every bus route they offer.

We have generally researched and known our route/destination in advance and followed our progress as we proceed.

Per common courtesy, we will always say hello to the driver as we board with a thank you when we exit.

The drivers have always been friendly and helpful if needed and asked. I believe that that is their general practice with or without any "pandering".

There is dignity in all work and it deserves respect regardless of the task.

We have been to many places and consider the Bermudians (especially the bus drivers) to be among the finest people we have encountered.

John

What is so horrible about saying "please", "thank you", and being polite?

DON

As other posters have mentioned, its more about what is considered common practice in the country you are visiting.

Bermudians ARE a very polite and friendly group of people. One thing I noticed every single day we were there...residents ALWAYS saying hello to people they pass on the street, offering polite greetings and smiles. Here in the US I think, overall, the population tends to 'keep to themselves' and not acknowledge every passing person.

We learned so much about the island and experienced wonderful hospitality simply by saying hello and engaging with the people we met. THAT is what its about...engaging.

We might never have gone to Crystal Caves had we not struck up a conversation with a bus driver who encouraged us to give it a try.

What is so horrible about saying "please", "thank you", and being polite?

DON

Not a thing wrong with it. I just wondering why I've noticed several posts pointing out the need to be polite. Should be a foregone conclusion.

Not a thing wrong with it. I just wondering why I've noticed several posts pointing out the need to be polite. Should be a foregone conclusion.

Yes, it SHOULD be a foregone conclusion but I've seen my share of people who never said a word. Also, remember all those inconsiderate people at the buffets or elevators who push ahead of everyone? They ride the buses too. Maybe we can make up for those.;):)

Yes, it SHOULD be a foregone conclusion but I've seen my share of people who never said a word. Also, remember all those inconsiderate people at the buffets or elevators who push ahead of everyone? They ride the buses too. Maybe we can make up for those.;):)

Well said

Hi All,

Perhaps I can explain it this way - it's the way we were brought up.

Not so much the younger generation (assuming you can drag their attention away from texting or facebooking on their phones), but people of my generation would be thought of as very rude if we didn't "speak". That means we say good morning, good evening, whas happnin' or 'sup mate? - depending on who we are addressing.

In my youth, you not only said good morning to the bus driver, but then addressed the whole bus with a hearty good morning. Then you gave up your seat to any lady and stood for the whole ride. Then you thanked the driver as you got off.

Have Fun!

Hi All,

Perhaps I can explain it this way - it's the way we were brought up.

Not so much the younger generation (assuming you can drag their attention away from texting or facebooking on their phones), but people of my generation would be thought of as very rude if we didn't "speak". That means we say good morning, good evening, whas happnin' or 'sup mate? - depending on who we are addressing.

In my youth, you not only said good morning to the bus driver, but then addressed the whole bus with a hearty good morning. Then you gave up your seat to any lady and stood for the whole ride. Then you thanked the driver as you got off.

Have Fun!

My wife was pleasantly surprised a couple of years ago when a child apparently on her way home from school and wearing her school uniform offered my wife a seat...so apparently this custom is not totally lost in Bermuda. This is in sharp contrast to my's wife's experience riding buses in NY City years ago, belly bulging in her eight month of pregnancy, and no one offering her a seat.

Heck, as NY natives, even we were taught to always offer our seat to a woman or older person who was standing...something we rarely see here now.

Here in the US I think, overall, the population tends to 'keep to themselves' and not acknowledge every passing person.

That depends on what part of the country you are traveling through. Large portions of the south, outside of the larger cities, still acknowledge everyone they pass as if they are an old friend. Problem is this invites unwanted solicitation and requests for money in other places, particularly in large cities. A person like me that has a habit to greet people I pass, quickly learns to avoid eye contact as I travel place to place.

That depends on what part of the country you are traveling through. Large portions of the south, outside of the larger cities, still acknowledge everyone they pass as if they are an old friend. Problem is this invites unwanted solicitation and requests for money in other places, particularly in large cities. A person like me that has a habit to greet people I pass, quickly learns to avoid eye contact as I travel place to place.

Bermuda has a few "street people" but if you decline their request, they will not continue to bother you. :) Also, never had anyone trying to sell something on the beach or asking to braid my hair.

Perhaps the good people of Bermuda are weary of boorish tourists who waddle up the stairs of the bus, without so much as a greeting and ask "Am I on the right bus for (fill in the blank)"?

Bermuda is still very British in many ways, and the informality of the Caribbean islands -of which Bermuda is not one- doesn't always mesh well with the way of life that makes Bermuda such a treasure.

DH has a friend who cruised to Bermuda, got on the bus and asked the driver something, to which she replied,"What do you say first"? She 'schooled' him and he quickly learned.

Personally I like it when people say "Good morning" to each other...sort of sets a nice tone, don't you think? Certainly nothing to do with tush-kissing:)

Archived