How often is Cabo stop cancelled due to weather?

VT Hokie Cruiser

I was just thinking about this today, as there's a storm brewing off the Pacific coast of Mexico right now. With only 3 port days on our 7-day, I'll be very bummed if we have to skip. We sail in late July, which is when tropical storms tend to brew. :confused:

Crossing my fingers for good weather!

We would be in Cabo in mid-March 2013 at end of 14-day Panama Canal cruise. Need to arrange for one in our family to get off the ship in Cabo and fly back to U.S. East Coast because of work situation. (Can't be gone the full 2 weeks). Just wondering if we can "depend" on him getting off in Cabo. Probably so, in March.

Been on five cruises that stopped in Cabo since 2001. Two had to skip the port due to bad weather/too rough. On the west coast of Mexico hurricane season generally starts in September and ends in early January. I have been in Cabo when it was passed on in January and again in October both due to bad weather. Frankly even I got sick on the October trip as we raced back to LA ahead of the storm and I never get sick.

Another time I was there for five days in September and the water was too rough to snorkel for two of the five days.

Having said that I am still going on the Splendor in Sept for a two night stop in Cabo.

We would be in Cabo in mid-March 2013 at end of 14-day Panama Canal cruise. Need to arrange for one in our family to get off the ship in Cabo and fly back to U.S. East Coast because of work situation. (Can't be gone the full 2 weeks). Just wondering if we can "depend" on him getting off in Cabo. Probably so, in March.

March is very mello. There can be winds, but I was there the entire month in 2012 and all was well. Are you aware that the airport is not in Cabo? Transportation will be needed to get to San Jose Del Cabo. Work with the cruise line, they will help you out.

Been on five cruises that stopped in Cabo since 2001. Two had to skip the port due to bad weather/too rough. On the west coast of Mexico hurricane season generally starts in September and ends in early January. I have been in Cabo when it was passed on in January and again in October both due to bad weather. Frankly even I got sick on the October trip as we raced back to LA ahead of the storm and I never get sick.

Another time I was there for five days in September and the water was too rough to snorkel for two of the five days.

Having said that I am still going on the Splendor in Sept for a two night stop in Cabo.

Hurricane season in Cabo is June 15th- November 15th just like the east coast. Most of the storms happen August- early October. We have been going in October and November for the last 18 years and have never had a bad storm after about mid October. We have been there during many tropical storms and 1 hurricane, all early October and have seen the entire port closed many, many times then. Early spring is sometimes very windy but other than that those times, the weather is usually perfect!

We missed Cabo in September one year due to a hurricane. In other ports they were cleaning up debris and sweeping sand off sidewalks. Some excursions were canceled and shops closed. Other than the cancellation in Cabo, we stopped in the other ports.

In the past 7 years that I have lived here, there have only been less than 10 days either the ships could not tender or did not come due to weather. It usually isn´t wind that messes up the tendering but rather swells far out in the bay. Windy last week in the afternoons and at night but less than 1mph today.

As far as hurricane season, yes the Pacific season is the same dates as the Atlantic from June 1-November 30 but we already had one hurricane in mid-May this year. They usually don´t effect us til September/October and then it is just a few hours of rain.

It sounds like it might be a little more than 10 days given the posts so far. But either way I think it is fair to say it can happen from time to time but that is always the challenge of tendering in many places around the world.

The good news is that the odds are that one will be able to tender in and out of this port.

Keith

Archived