Baltic Cruise-currency question

Pirouette

We are looking forward to our upcoming, port intensive Baltic cruise on the Marina. I expect it would be advisable to have some local currency for each destination. For those countries that are not part of the Euro-zone, do you obtain your DKK's, rubles etc. before your trip, exchange on arrival in port or is there a currency exchange on board the ship that could exchange small amounts for the local currency in each port? We are primarily concerned about convenience as opposed to securing the most favourable rate. Any suggestions?

ATM's are available in all the port areas. You could probably get away with Euros except local transport. The ship does not have local currency for your ports. One port did arrange for on board, I believe it was Denmark.

I usually get some small amounts of local currency before we go then hit the ATM if we need more

Not sure on roubles if you can buy here or not

..last time in SPB (2003) they took USD....

If you're planning to do your own thing in Gydnia (Gdansk) you might want to take some zloty, especially if you want to take the train from Gydnia to Gdansk. I've so far been unable to determine where an ATM is - but I don't think there's one in the port OR the train station. Apparently many cab drivers will take U.S. dollars to take you from the port to the train station, but then I think you need zloty for the train (only around 10 I think, but nevertheless, might be problematic if you only have a credit card and they won't accept it).

As for Copenhagen, it's my understanding that many U.S. cards aren't usable there because they don't have a PIN and a chip, so I am planning to find an ATM there (airport - we fly there) and get some money changed.

Sure wish more Baltic nations were on the Euro as it would make things a lot easier!

Pirouette, you aren't on the Aug. 11 Marina from Copenhagen to Stockholm, are you?

According to another post on CC, there is an ATM at the train station in Gydnia.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23377863&postcount=2

Also, see this from CruiseBaltic: http://www.cruisebaltic.com/media(1060,1033)/Gdynia.pdf

There is a useful chart showing what currency and cards are accepted. Also shows the distances to the railway station where there is supposed to be an ATM.

At least we are counting on this info! Any updates much appreciated.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I started really looking at that bus information for Gydnia, and it took me a while. However, from what I can tell there is now more than one bus that goes from the port to the train station, and some that return to the port as well. Maybe that's why the cruisebaltic site says there's a shuttle at the port.

With the trips to the train station being fairly cheap, I suspect I'll just take cabs, especially given that a local bus is not all that likely to take U.S. or euro coins. However, it's still nice to know that there are options available other than cabs to get to/from the

Gydnia train station!

http://www.inyourpocket.com/data/download/gdansk.pdf

I found the above link to a great site called "In Your Pocket." It has some good info about the railroad stations in Gydnia and Gdansk, plus currency conversions, etc. It also has great tourist info and some maps. I wouldn't suggest printing it, as it's very long, but you can flip through the Gdansk and Gydnia sections to learn a lot, and print out whatever pages interest you. It pretty much put a lot of stuff together for me, and told me a few things I didn't already know. For example, there's a special 24hr. tourist card that includes all public transportation in the Tri-City, including the commuter train to Gdansk, plus discounts to certain tourist attractions. Good stuff for those folks headed to Gdansk.

Archived