Barcelona, Hotel Continental

Lambo62

First I want to give credit to this board, it is a wealth of information and has really helped my wife and I plan for our first cruise (less than 2 weeks).

We are staying pre and post cruise at the Hotel Continental Barcelona and I have two questions for those that are familiar with it's location.

1)What is the best way to transfer from the hotel to the airport, I believe i have read of a shuttle. How far would the shuttle drop off location be from the hotel.

2) Is there a wine store close to the Hotel Continental as we would like to buy a few bottles to take on the ship.

Thanks in advance.

There is an Airport shuttle that costs about 5 euros. At the airport just follow the signs to buses and taxis. The bus will right at the bottom of the escalators. It is blue and has Airport Shuttle on the side. This will take you to Placa Catalunya which is the last stop. When you get off the bus look strait ahead and you will see the Corte Ingles which is a hugh department store with a food section in the basement. You can buy almost anything in this store. It has a great wine selection.

To find Hotel Contenental walk around the bus to the right and head for the far side of Placa Catalunya. When facing the square with Cort Ingles to your back, keep left to the cornor then turn right. As you walk look for the Hard Rock Cafe across the street. You will need to cross the street some where near the Hard Rock and continue to the cornor which will be La Rambla. Turn left when you get to La Rambla and walk about 1/4 block and you will see the hotel.

OP, if you are interested in sampling some wine while in Barcelona, there is a wine bar just around the corner from Hotel Continental Palacete. It's called Monvinic, located at 249 Diputacio. It is highly rated on TripAdvisor, and I read an article about it from WSJ which called it "the best wine bar in the world," LOL. I don't know if it is THAT good, but I'm planning to try it when we stay at the Continental next month.

Come back and lets us know how you like the hotel, and also the wine bar if you decide to try it! I'll post about them when I get back in July. I'm looking forward to checking them out!

Edited by luckybecky

A picture is worth a 1000 words:)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=La+Rambla%2FRambla+de+Canaletes&hl=en&ll=41.386267,2.170572&spn=0.004459,0.009431&sll=41.386227,2.170701&sspn=0.004459,0.009431&geocode=FQyGdwIdwB4hAA%3BFSp8dwId-h4hAA&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

Green 'A' is the airport bus stop, 'B' is the Continental. Keep all your belongings close...pickpockets are rife!! There is a supermarket almost opposite your hotel for wine etc (if you can't find it anywhere else!).

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

Remember - there are TWO Hotel Continentals in Barcelona. The Hotel Continental Barcelona and the Hotel Continental Palecete. Barcelona in on "La Rambla" and Palecete is on Rambla Catalunya north of Placa Catalunya. Be sure you have the right one matched to where you want to be!

Remember - there are TWO Hotel Continentals in Barcelona. The Hotel Continental Barcelona and the Hotel Continental Palecete. Barcelona in on "La Rambla" and Palecete is on Rambla Catalunya north of Placa Catalunya. Be sure you have the right one matched to where you want to be!

You are right, Slidergirl. Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten this when I suggested Monvinic to the OP. Monvinic is just around the corner from Continental Palacete, which is a few blocks away from the Continental Barcelona. Sorry, hope I didn't confuse anyone!

Stayed at Continental-Ramba in March. Everyone very pleasant. Buffet breakfast was fine, buffet during day was OK. Wine on tap and a friendly attitude from all. Computers available on each floor and by reception.

If you are sailing from Barcelona, there is a small liquor shop on the pier. If you a planning the HOHO bus, get the discount coupon from reception. Also show the Rick Steves Barcelona book for a Continental Hotel discount.

It's been three years, so I post this with a caution on the currentness of my comments. When you exit the hotel onto La Rambla, go left. On the opposite side of the street you'll come to a Carrefour Express. This is very much like a WalMart or large big box store. There is a huge wine selection on the street level...starting a one euro and up (two buck chuck?). It's before you reach the marketplace...and there was a high end wine shop in there. We stayed at the Continental. It's not the Ritz, but it was clean, and we loved the Rubbermaid drawers as end tables! We had a LaRambla balcony room and had a birds eye view of the celebration of Barca winning the Euro Cup...wow!

It's been three years, so I post this with a caution on the currentness of my comments. When you exit the hotel onto La Rambla, go left. On the opposite side of the street you'll come to a Carrefour Express. This is very much like a WalMart or large big box store. There is a huge wine selection on the street level...starting a one euro and up (two buck chuck?). It's before you reach the marketplace...and there was a high end wine shop in there. We stayed at the Continental. It's not the Ritz, but it was clean, and we loved the Rubbermaid drawers as end tables! We had a LaRambla balcony room and had a birds eye view of the celebration of Barca winning the Euro Cup...wow!

Hey Andrea, just wanted to say 'hello', I am going to Barcelona again in the fall and saw your post! First time back to the Med. since the Ruby in 2009. That was a wild night when they won the cup, glad i was inside looking out!! Thanks for the above info, plan on taking a few sodas onboard the Carnival Breeze.

Big hug from Vic and I. :)

Hi Bev!

Nice to hear from you again. We are sailing on the Ocean Princess at the end of August to ports in Spain, Portugal and Gibralter. The cruise will end in Barcelona, but this time, we've got to head right home.

Hope you and Vic have a wonderful cruise.

Regards,

Andrea

Just got back this week..stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Continental (our third stay) and it is wonderful! They have a little patio in back where people gather in the evening and trade stories. This is the tricky part though..as you come DOWN the Ramblas from Placa Catalyuna the Continental is at #

138 on the left. It only says "Hotel" outside.

Fun people to meet and a fine buffet for breakfast. We got wine across the street and down to the left a little at the Carrefour. You can easily take the shuttle to or from the airport. We paid 20Eu for a taxi from the ship directly to the front door of the Continental..but know that number 138!!!

Enjoy..wish we were back there! They are SO nice..our favorite Hotel in Europe!!!

We also had a Ramblas view room and worth the extra cost for it.

LaPoma across the street is fine for a quick dinner some night. Or nearby is Sabarra for Tapas! Check out the Palau Musica..we went there for the symphony one night and it was fabulous!

Sherry & Kimber

" This is the tricky part though..as you come DOWN the Ramblas from Placa Catalyuna the Continental is at #

138 on the left. It only says "Hotel" outside."

This is very true. When we grabbed a taxi at the airport, the driver did not speak English and showing him the name "Hotel Continental" did not help. Make sure you have the complete address written and ready to show someone, in the event of a language barrier.

Just got back this week..stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Continental (our third stay) and it is wonderful! They have a little patio in back where people gather in the evening and trade stories. This is the tricky part though..as you come DOWN the Ramblas from Placa Catalyuna the Continental is at #

138 on the left. It only says "Hotel" outside.

Fun people to meet and a fine buffet for breakfast. We got wine across the street and down to the left a little at the Carrefour. You can easily take the shuttle to or from the airport. We paid 20Eu for a taxi from the ship directly to the front door of the Continental..but know that number 138!!!

Enjoy..wish we were back there! They are SO nice..our favorite Hotel in Europe!!!

We also had a Ramblas view room and worth the extra cost for it.

LaPoma across the street is fine for a quick dinner some night. Or nearby is Sabarra for Tapas! Check out the Palau Musica..we went there for the symphony one night and it was fabulous!

Sherry & Kimber

Hi Sherry & Kimber, we will be staying at the Continental for 4 nights the end of September before going on a cruise, our first time to Barcelona. Where did you pick up the shuttle to and from the airpot and what was the cost? How long does it take to go through customs comming and going?

Joe

Joe,as no one has answered I will trying. The bus is just outside the airport and takes you to catulanya square... The last stop. It is a short walk to your hotel. We have stayed 3 times and going back in January. It is back up to the square to get a return to airport but if you are going to cruise port the taxi is at the same square. You will walk past the taxi rank on your way to your hotel after getting of the bus. The hoho bus will also be in this square. The hotel is well placed

Thanks for the replies folks, tomorrow is the big departure day for us, the information has been valuable!

Have a great trip Lambo62! And please come back and post on this thread after your trip and let us know your thoughts on Hotel Continental! ;) I have read that people seem to either love it or hate it and I would love to hear your opinion! Thank you! :D

Joe,as no one has answered I will trying. The bus is just outside the airport and takes you to catulanya square... The last stop. It is a short walk to your hotel. We have stayed 3 times and going back in January. It is back up to the square to get a return to airport but if you are going to cruise port the taxi is at the same square. You will walk past the taxi rank on your way to your hotel after getting of the bus. The hoho bus will also be in this square. The hotel is well placed

Thanks debbymark, how do I know what bus to take?

Have a great trip Lambo62! And please come back and post on this thread after your trip and let us know your thoughts on Hotel Continental! ;) I have read that people seem to either love it or hate it and I would love to hear your opinion! Thank you! :D

Yes please do and have a great trip.

We are staying at the Hotel Continental in November for 3 nights. Lots of people on our roll call are also staying there. We're talking about meeting for dinner someplace close to the hotel the night before we embark. Does anyone have any ideas on where would be a good restaurant for a small group?:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We were scheduled to stay at the hotel continental for our arrival night and departure night.

When we arrived we found out the hotel was overbooked, and after travelling through the night and being very tired, we weren't impressed. They were going to put us up at the sister hotel, Hotel Continental Palacete.

In the end we couldn't be happier about our experience, because of this overbooking, we were able to experience both hotels.

First off they paid for a cab to drive us the 10 minute walk to the Hotel Continental Palacete. They gave us a suite with a massive sitting room and a bottle of champagne in our room for the inconvenience of having to change.

The room was marvelous. at first we were sad not to have our own balcony, but there was a balcony in the public room which we used for hours as there was no one else there. Lovely little snack bar and we thoroughly enjoyed the wine and beer on tap!

On our return after the cruise we had a lovely room on the thrid floor of the Hotel Continental Barcelona. A cute very quirky little hotel. It suited us just fine. We were exhausted after our port intensive cruise and spent most of the day relaxing in either the rear terrance or our own private balcony.

I will post a couple room pics after we get settled, I took over 1000 pictures during our cruise and we haven't had time to look at them since our return.

I would highly recommend either of these hotels. Very good value. and both had great locations.

The info i received answers for in my original post was spot on. Very easy walking distance from the airport shuttle, and several stores nearby that sold nice wine to take onboard our cruise.

Thanks

Lambo