chefs table

can this be booked before you sail, or only once you are on board?

I did this once on the Dawn (booked while on board) and plan to do it again.

I too really want to book this - I was hoping that there would be a possibility before the cruise started, guess we will just have to try our luck once we are on the ship!!! Jan

I'm not reading anyone the riot act for eating veal or NCL for serving it. I just have a hard time doing it, personally. And I know I'm not the only one. I'm fine with them serving it, I just wish there was one less-contentious option.

And eggs don't cry or scream. It's not exactly a horrific thing to think about when I eat an egg.

With you here. Would do it, but the veal chop was a no go.

It was 9 courses with the main course Chilean sea bass followed by veal chop.

I would do this in a heartbeat if it didn't use a fish that is on the Monterrey Aquarium watch list (avoid due to overfishing and mercury) and veal (I don't love the taste and cringe a bit at killing young animals just for our delight). They could make one of the proteins less objectionable, IMHO.

You can request a different main dish option. I just did the Chef's Table on the Star and one of the guests was Kosher, the other gluten free. They were both served equally delicious alternatives to the Sea Bass and Veal. For those considering the Chef's Table, DO IT! Totally worth it for a delicious meal, top notch service and wonderful dining companions.

You know, there are probably others like me who would do this more than once if offered, of course if someone wanted to go who hadn't been I would defer. It is a great idea!!!

I have never been to a Chef's table, but I have read quite a bit about them and they sound like very time intensive activities for the staff. I would imagine it might be difficult to do multiple Chef's tables on a cruise. I hope to do one on my next cruise, though

What is the customary dress for this event? It doesn't sound at all casual and we cruise NCL so we can leave the dress-up clothes at home.

At the Chefs Table on my last cruise we had dress from Tuxs and gowns, Dark suits and cocktail dresses, to Hawaiian shirts with kaikis. The presentation and food is what the dinner's about.

Only the couple in the tux and gown commented about others dress. They were first timers on NCL ( many cruises on HAL and X) and didn't hesitate to complain about everything. From that day on they were our resident "cruise snobs".

My advice is to go comfortable and enjoy the dinner and drinks.

We just wore dress slacks and a blouse. Others wore sundresses....there were two men there who also wore dress slacks and a polo shirt. Like WYTinman said....it's all about the food! :cool:

You can request a different main dish option. I just did the Chef's Table on the Star and one of the guests was Kosher, the other gluten free. They were both served equally delicious alternatives to the Sea Bass and Veal. For those considering the Chef's Table, DO IT! Totally worth it for a delicious meal, top notch service and wonderful dining companions.

Thanks for the tip!

We signed up while we were waiting to get on the ship. They have a table set up for specialty restaurants.

We had one sports jacket at our table everyone looked nice but no suits and prom dresses!

I will try to post a copy of the menu but I am not a computer genius, so no promises.

Archived