compare Queen Elizabeth to QM2

jimmybean

We've sailed on the QM2, but not the Queen Elizabeth, and would appreciate subjective comments on how these ships compare. In what ways do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• QM2 has a great, teak promenade deck for walking that extends around the ship and a classically terraced stern. QE has a plastic coated deck that doesn't go all the way around and has a squared off stern.
  • QM2 handles the sea far better that the Vistas.
  • QE's interior is much more intimate and attractive.
  • We prefer the Lido on QE/QV to King's Court.

For a crossing I'd go on the QM2. For cruising calm waters I'd take the QE/QV.

• QM2 has a great, teak promenade deck for walking that extends around the ship and a classically terraced stern. QE has a plastic coated deck that doesn't go all the way around and has a squared off stern.
  • QM2 handles the sea far better that the Vistas.
  • QE's interior is much more intimate and attractive.
  • We prefer the Lido on QE/QV to King's Court.

For a crossing I'd go on the QM2. For cruising calm waters I'd take the QE/QV.

Slight correction, QEs' prom deck does go all the way round... The QV doesn't.

The QM2 is huge, and has a big ship feel, everything is big and feels solid and built for the Atlantic. The QE and QV are more intimate and have a cosier homely feel. LookIng forward to being on any of the three soon!

The theatre on Queen Elizabeth is better than on QM2.

Commodore Club on Queen Elizabeth is more open and has full hight windows

Queens Room on Queen Elizabeth is midships so you walk through it so you can just sit there during the day.

Lido is more open the Kings Court

If you like QM2 you should enjoy a cruise on Queen Elizabeth.

The service level shoud be about the same, but some things are done slightly differently. Like jam pots and cream already on the table at afternoon tea.

Having spent a month on QM at xmas and just come off QE I tried to make a comparison but it was difficult !

For me personally I thought the spa, Commodore club, Churchill's, Britannia restaurant,ballroom and the actual outside view was far better on QM

But QE would win in all other area's, she is a very pretty ship inside and easy to navigate.

If I had to pick either would be just fine :)

Thank you all for your comments!

It's good to hear honest comparisons between the two ships.

We have upcoming crossings on the QM2 this fall (crossings number 4 and 5). Then, will board the Queen Elizabeth in February 2013.

You all make me feel enthusiastic about both ships!

Thanks again and Happy Sailing!

During this past January it was over to England on the QM2 and back to the States on the QE. The QM2 certainly had the smoother quieter ride, and there were 30 foot waves both ways. But in the food department there was no comparison between the Queens Grills on the two. The food and service was much better on the QE. Ico, the QE's Maitre'D, was as fantastic as the food. Perhaps our waiter on the QM2 was new, he certainly wasn't up to the top-notch waiter that we had on the QE. The waiter on the QM2 told a passenger at our table that caviar was extra and he could not bring the passenger any without a further charge. Wow, you can imagine the stir that caused the first night.

During this past January it was over to England on the QM2 and back to the States on the QE. The QM2 certainly had the smoother quieter ride, and there were 30 foot waves both ways. But in the food department there was no comparison between the Queens Grills on the two. The food and service was much better on the QE. Ico, the QE's Maitre'D, was as fantastic as the food. Perhaps our waiter on the QM2 was new, he certainly wasn't up to the top-notch waiter that we had on the QE. The waiter on the QM2 told a passenger at our table that caviar was extra and he could not bring the passenger any without a further charge. Wow, you can imagine the stir that caused the first night.

Interesting that such an "error" should happen in the Queens Grill, underlines the fact that the staff are often either "not fully trained" or that they have their own mind set.

What was the result, did the Maitre 'D come to the table to apologise?

Although there are posters who refuse to believe that anything bad can happen on Cunard, the reality is that passengers (of any cabin classification) are "at the mercy of the staff" in any given particular situation.

Interesting that such an "error" should happen in the Queens Grill, underlines the fact that the staff are often either "not fully trained" or that they have their own mind set.

What was the result, did the Maitre 'D come to the table to apologise?

Although there are posters who refuse to believe that anything bad can happen on Cunard, the reality is that passengers (of any cabin classification) are "at the mercy of the staff" in any given particular situation.

The Assistant Maitre 'D did come by and apologize for the misunderstanding, and two servings of caviar were delivered to the recently offended passenger. Nevertheless, it is something that never should have happened.

We've sailed on the QM2, but not the Queen Elizabeth, and would appreciate subjective comments on how these ships compare. In what ways do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've done both QV/QM2. We like QM2 more, as it's a true liner. The QV/QE will really toss about in rough seas. Vista hull design isn't really that good. That aside the QV/QE will have a nicer more traditional interior.Much nice use of wood vaneers & quality granite than in QM2. Food was about equal. The Grills are more exclusive on QV/QE. You need your room key to access the grills on these 2 ships. If you want to "sneak" a peek, you can climb a few stairs to check them out. This is best to do in off hours, as otherwise they will brush you off pretty quick.

Having eaten in Todd English on QM2 and the Verandah Grill on Queen Elizabeth, my experience of the latter was streets ahead. Even taking into account my preference for the style of food in the Verandah Grill, the overall quality, choice, service and ambiance were superior.

The staff were more knowledgeable about both the food and wine, they were friendlier and helped create more of a sense of occasion. It doesn't help of course, that if you have a window table in Todd English you might end up with a view of smokers having a quick cigarette. In terms of atmosphere, I think the Verandah Grill offers a little bit of the classic ocean liner experience of bygone days, and given the overall Art Deco feel to the Queen Elizabeth, that's very fitting.

Todd English was nice, but only that, and I'm not sure I'll be making another booking when I'm on QM2 again in November. However, I would definitely book the Verandah Grill again, next time I'm lucky enough to be on the QE.

Archived