Automatic Tips?

hihello

I've read the rules for Carnival...they said they will be charging 11.40 per person per day onto you sign and sail card as you enter the ship. It then stated that you can choose the amount once you're onboard.

What do they mean? Can you tell them not to charge you for tips and that you will tip the people yourself? Can you select a cheaper tip?

I know tipping is important and I am not trying to get out of tipping, but am just wondering how this works with Carnival?

Thanks! :)

I've read the rules for Carnival...they said they will be charging 11.40 per person per day onto you sign and sail card as you enter the ship. It then stated that you can choose the amount once you're onboard.

What do they mean? Can you tell them not to charge you for tips and that you will tip the people yourself? Can you select a cheaper tip?

I know tipping is important and I am not trying to get out of tipping, but am just wondering how this works with Carnival?

Thanks! :)

Did you search tipping.

OK, here is the skinny.

You can adjust the amount you tip (up or down). The auto set the tip per day per person at the set amount. You can go on day 2 and turn them off if you want as well. They suggest that you do not just say your going to tip people because the tip is split up to people you may not see/know, etc.

Hope that helps.

Actually I think its $11.50 per person per day. If you have never cruised, maybe you will be surprised by how much service that provides, I was.

If you choose to remove tips, your name will go onto a list of who removed tips and it will be posted in the crew quarters and distributed to the crew so they know who is stiffing those behind the scenes and possibly others.

If you go to the pursers desk to "adjust" tips, of course they will ask you why, was service not up to par .. myself I was find this so humiliating to be so cheap I could not tip the standard amount.

btw its not charged as you enter the ship, it probably takes at least 24 hours to post before you can go "adjust" tips.

Unless you have a problem, I would never remove tips and be so cheap. Everyone will think to themselves you are cheap including those at the pursers desk you have to deal with to adjust the tips. I would hate people thinking badly of me .. so be forewarned.

Carnival should call this a service charge so people just add it into their cruise budget.

This post is not directed at you or anybody else.

I find it rare that I have poor service. It can happen here or there. Overall the employees work long hard hours to make our vacation enjoyable, are away from family for many months, and are trying to better their lives. Please give them the respect they deserve. Tips are their primary source of income. Pay your share and sleep well at night.

I know it is up to you but do most people Ive only cruised once and I tipped room attendant and waiters and even added to bar tabs to about 25 percent most of the time only once in mdr cause our waiter was slow and rude I did not

I know it is up to you but do most people Ive only cruised once and I tipped room attendant and waiters and even added to bar tabs to about 25 percent most of the time only once in mdr cause our waiter was slow and rude I did not

I dont tip extra unless I ask for something extra to be done. 15% tips are automatically added to all drinks .. which seems adequate to me. If you want to get in good with a bar tender, I bring some ones to tip with, have tipped a dollar or two dollars extra for making drinks. Some say they get extra strong drinks this way. .. but only if you go to the same bartender all cruise would I go this route all the time as I dont drink that much.

Ive tipped a cabin steward extra if I asked for extra. Have never had a waiter do anything extra yet .. so no I dont tip them extra.

Some say they tip Camp C staff, so that would be extra, as they are not included in the tipping pool to my knowledge.

No I do not tip cash along the way...well wait I did when the towel animal (monkey) got all ruined and my kids wanted it again so we went outside in the hall and asked...gave him a couple of bucks for doing it again.

I think that if the cruise called it anything but a tip then it would be viewed differently or charged it up front and in turnned paid their employees with it. I don't find it 'mean' or anything if people turn them off or adjust up or down. It is your money and you spend it how you see fit.

You can also pre-pay your gratuities. This will get that charge out of the way before you even step on the ship. This way, you will not have to run around and try to tip everyone that is due a gratuity. Part of the tips go to the buffet workers and other behind-the-scenes persons. It would be very difficult and time consuming to try to tip those due individually. It's nice knowing that it is taken of for you. We love the pre-pay option.

:):)

I have never kept my tips added into my account. And I have NEVER received bad service due to taking my gratuities off of my account! But I also see no reason to tip the Maitre D, really, what do they do for me? I guess I would tip if I just had to have my seating arrangement adjusted...

I ALWAYS bring enough cash to tip my waiter and assistant waiter, my room steward and his assistant. And should I purchase room service I write in a tip on the receipt.

I have never kept my tips added into my account. And I have NEVER received bad service due to taking my gratuities off of my account! But I also see no reason to tip the Maitre D, really, what do they do for me? I guess I would tip if I just had to have my seating arrangement adjusted...

Maitre d' is not included in automatic tips. I think I read they also quit leaving a envelope in case you wish to tip him, which Im glad they discontinued. I just think its a waste of envelopes. If I wanted to tip him, I would and perfectly capable of getting a envelope at the pursers desk if I need one. leaving a envelope to me feels tacky.

Firefly, I thought that the Mtrd was in with the "other" tip amount or at least that is what someone told me?

No one knows as far as I know who the $2 per day goes to. John never answered the question. I have heard lots of speculations about who people dont want to tip .. but no facts.

Carnival used to say it went to buffet workers when it was $1 a day

I like the tips being put on the account automatically. Then I don't have to think about it. I did a Royal trip a couple of years ago - they did not do autotips & we ended up standing in line at the purser's desk to have them added to our onboard account. I have no desire to carry wads of extra cash on vacation if there's a way to avoid it. I also have no desire to spend the last day of my vacation trying to 'catch' people to hand deliver a tip. I also have no problem pre-paying tips. I have no intention of taking them away, even if there are service glitches here & there. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, but I can't complain about the staff on the cruises I've done so far.

I like the tips being put on the account automatically. Then I don't have to think about it. I did a Royal trip a couple of years ago - they did not do autotips & we ended up standing in line at the purser's desk to have them added to our onboard account. I have no desire to carry wads of extra cash on vacation if there's a way to avoid it. I also have no desire to spend the last day of my vacation trying to 'catch' people to hand deliver a tip. I also have no problem pre-paying tips. I have no intention of taking them away, even if there are service glitches here & there. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, but I can't complain about the staff on the cruises I've done so far.

Actually on RCL they put a form in your cabin you can sign and drop off into a box to have them added to your account.. you dont even need to stand in line. If you dont see the box, you can usually just hand the form to someone there without standing in line. They often have someone out front asking what you need .. but yes, it is done differently. I hear Celebrity which they own does automatic tips now, no form to sign.

You can also pre-pay your gratuities. This will get that charge out of the way before you even step on the ship. This way, you will not have to run around and try to tip everyone that is due a gratuity. Part of the tips go to the buffet workers and other behind-the-scenes persons. It would be very difficult and time consuming to try to tip those due individually. It's nice knowing that it is taken of for you. We love the pre-pay option.

:):)

First, thanks for actually answering the OP question. I also have a question for you. I don't think we are going to pre pay our tips but I'm wondering what would happen to those funds should you not get to go on your cruise?

Actually on RCL they put a form in your cabin you can sign and drop off into a box to have them added to your account.. you dont even need to stand in line. If you dont see the box, you can usually just hand the form to someone there without standing in line. They often have someone out front asking what you need .. but yes, it is done differently. I hear Celebrity which they own does automatic tips now, no form to sign.

Thanks for the info! Sure wish I had known that 2 years ago!

The "suggested" tips are a bargain...if you were to eat in restaurants 3 times daily, and tip the housekeeper at your hotel (you do that, don't you???? You're supposed to!!!), you would tip MUCH more than what the ship suggests you should tip.

Just leave the tips as they are, and be done with it....you'll be doing the right thing.

I find it rare that I have poor service. It can happen here or there. Overall the employees work long hard hours to make our vacation enjoyable, are away from family for many months, and are trying to better their lives. Please give them the respect they deserve. Tips are their primary source of income. Pay your share and sleep well at night.

I will :).

Maitre d' is not included in automatic tips. I think I read they also quit leaving a envelope in case you wish to tip him, which Im glad they discontinued. I just think its a waste of envelopes. If I wanted to tip him, I would and perfectly capable of getting a envelope at the pursers desk if I need one. leaving a envelope to me feels tacky.

I agree, it is tacky. I have NEVER talked to the Maitre nor did I ask for a favor. If I did, I would have definitely tipped him :).

I have always had excellent service on a Carnival cruise and you are correct, I HATED fooling with the envelopes years ago. Glad they automatically put it on your S& S card. If you want to leave more, you can :).

The employees make very little money and rely on the tips of the passengers. I have never had a bad experience on any of my cruises. The auto pay is the easiest way to take care of them and it is well worth it. Easy for us and ensures pay for them.

The Maitre D is another subject. They usually come around to your table once during the cruise and although I'm sure they do a great job, they aren't hands on as are the rest of the crew.

I ALWAYS bring enough cash to tip my waiter and assistant waiter, my room steward and his assistant. And should I purchase room service I write in a tip on the receipt.

Yes, but by removing them you are stiffing many others who receive a portion of those tips. The automatic tips do not go to just your room steward and dinner waiters. They are also distributed amoung the guys cleaning up after you on the pool deck, making sure the chairs are clean etc.

Leave the tips on and tip more if appropriate.

The employees make very little money and rely on the tips of the passengers. I have never had a bad experience on any of my cruises. The auto pay is the easiest way to take care of them and it is well worth it. Easy for us and ensures pay for them.

The Maitre D is another subject. They usually come around to your table once during the cruise and although I'm sure they do a great job, they aren't hands on as are the rest of the crew.

Also, the Maitre D, is payed a lot more than the wait staff.

A friend of ours actually married a bar waiter from one of our cruises (years ago). At the time, the wait staff and bar tenders were making $50/ week and their laundry bill took up most of that. The majority of their income comes from these tips.

Please leave the tips as they are - there are many more people involved than just those that you see.

I also tip extra in cash at the end of our cruise to our waiter/ass't most of the time.

Well said! The cabin steward I had on my 2008 cruise was wonderful. I got sick and was stuck in the cabin the first five days of the cruise. When he realized why I was always in there when he came to do his job, he then started just stopping by to check on me. At the end of the cruise he shared with my husband and I that he was leaving the cruiseline at the end of our cruise. Apparently, Carnival does not treat their employees very well. He was very unhappy, but was the utmost professional. They especially do not fairly compensate them well. We always factor they tips in as part of our onboard expenses and give a little something extra to those who really make our vacation enjoyable.

The "suggested" tips are a bargain...if you were to eat in restaurants 3 times daily, and tip the housekeeper at your hotel (you do that, don't you???? You're supposed to!!!), you would tip MUCH more than what the ship suggests you should tip.

Just leave the tips as they are, and be done with it....you'll be doing the right thing.

Completely agree - couldn't have said it any better!

Heck, the whole $11.50 per day wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR. And don't even get me started on what the room steward we had on our last cruise should have been paid for cleaning up after my 15 year old niece for 5 days! Just leave the tips on your S&S account, or pre-pay them if you don't want a large bill at the end of your vacation.

Archived