I am doing some research and am hoping that you are able to tell me the job function

rrfsteve

I am doing some research and am hoping that you are able to tell me the job function of the Jr. Assistant Cruise Director aboard Princess Cruise Lines. Also, aprox. how many do they have aboard each ship?

Many thanks,

Stephen:)

OK. To start over.... I am writing a paper on peoples perception of job titles, and as a result I want to find out what the job function of the Jr. Assistant Cruise Director aboard Princess Cruise Lines. Also, aprox. how many do they have aboard each ship.

I have princess' job desc. but I need yours!

Many thanks,

Stephen:)

Dreamer 33,

I am writing a paper about job titles and their effect on employees. Basically I am attempting to find out if calling a garbage man a ‘Refuge Technician’ makes a difference. It’s all to do with HR practice & Kirkpatrick’s ‘success’ theories.

Stephen :)

Dreamer 33,

I am writing a paper about job titles and their effect on employees. Basically I am attempting to find out if calling a garbage man a ‘Refuge Technician’ makes a difference. It’s all to do with HR practice & Kirkpatrick’s ‘success’ theories.

Kirkpatrick's Four Levels of Evaluation

from

http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/k4levels/index.htm

developed by Donald Kirkpatrick (1994)

from

http://www.isixsigma.com/dictionary/Kirkpatricks_4_Levels_of_Evaluation-626.htm

Kirkpatrick's Four Levels of Evaluation

from

http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/k4levels/index.htm

developed by Donald Kirkpatrick (1994)

from

http://www.isixsigma.com/dictionary/Kirkpatricks_4_Levels_of_Evaluation-626.htm

Thank's for your help derf - but i do have all of kirkpatrick's publications and articles... trust me, the make enjoyable reading :confused: !

however i need actual views of the job function etc.... I am writing a paper about job titles and their effect on employees. Stephen :)

Well, Stephen, my opinion, as a non-employee of any cruise line, the job of "Jr. Assistant Cruise Director" would be a title meant to appease the poor young fool who fell for the hype and signed on for the romance and adventure of working aboard a cruise ship. And that it would be a thankless job, akin to being a gofer, at all hours of the day and night. Not a first step on the ladder to anywhere. Perhaps, if lucky, it could be a sort of internship to a great CD, but this sounds like an entry-level job. And no, the title itself would not make me feel better about the job. In fact, there are too many diminutions. (JR and Assistant both imply "not there yet" and to have two in one title, well, not good)

Basically I am attempting to find out if calling a garbage man a ‘Refuge Technician’ makes a difference.
They'd probably prefer that over "Refuse Technician", since they could tell folks that someone mispelled "refugee". Of course "refuse technician" does give them the option to turn down stuff they don't like!

I don't know how many are on a ship, but I do see them as junior host/hostesses and assistants.

On our last cruise they were greeters at every activity, "attended" in the Library, dressed up and participated in all activities, and were very pleasant young people. I think most of them were having a great time while trying to decide what next to do with themselves............whether to stick with the cruise direction, or go on to something else.

On our previous to last cruise, they were virtually non visible.............as was the cruise director. There were only about 2 activities every day..............Bingo was only a couple of times a week.............it was boring!

I think their job duties are probably directed by the Cruise Director while aboard.

Well, Stephen, my opinion, as a non-employee of any cruise line, the job of "Jr. Assistant Cruise Director" would be a title meant to appease the poor young fool who fell for the hype and signed on for the romance and adventure of working aboard a cruise ship. And that it would be a thankless job, akin to being a gofer, at all hours of the day and night. Not a first step on the ladder to anywhere. Perhaps, if lucky, it could be a sort of internship to a great CD, but this sounds like an entry-level job. And no, the title itself would not make me feel better about the job. In fact, there are too many diminutions. (JR and Assistant both imply "not there yet" and to have two in one title, well, not good)
The title Junior Assistant Cruise Director would make one think it is a position of less importance than the Assistant Cruise Director, Senior Assistant Cruise Director, Deputy Cruise Director or Cruise Director. And it might be true. JACDs usually are the ones who staff the library, the golf simulators, etc. They are considered not yet ready to fully interact with passengers by leading activities (such as trivia games and the like) but will often assist at the larger events like Bingo, Horse Racing, Pool games. The person who holds the position can grow in the job and some do advance to become Assistants, Seniors and Cruise Directors.

The title Junior Assistant Cruise Director would make one think it is a position of less importance than the Assistant Cruise Director, Senior Assistant Cruise Director, Deputy Cruise Director or Cruise Director. And it might be true. JACDs usually are the ones who staff the library, the golf simulators, etc. They are considered not yet ready to fully interact with passengers by leading activities (such as trivia games and the like) but will often assist at the larger events like Bingo, Horse Racing, Pool games. The person who holds the position can grow in the job and some do advance to become Assistants, Seniors and Cruise Directors.
I've been following this thread with some puzzlement. Does this mean that there are no plain vanilla "cruise staff" any more on Princess? (It's been a long time since my last Princess cruise ...)

Dreamer 33,

Stephen,

IMO a title doesn't pay the bills. I used to work at a bank where there were more Vice Presidents (they kept their original job functions & had no additional ones) than tellers or loan officers. They would give the title instead of a raise. While that would look good on a resume, it's only real value was if you were leaving the company. I personally didn't care if I had the worst job title in the world, if I made more money than the VP's.! And it happens. A lot depends on the person recieving the title... a less than intelligent person would be thrilled to be TITLED. One that understands the real world, that MONEY makes the world go 'round (and pays for vacations)... doesn't appreciate the snowball affect & sees it for what it is.

The PR people are Marketeers. Not everyone buys it.

Hope that contributes something useful! :D

Ah yes - titles for everyone - we must be politically correct.

City I used to work for was so PC they changed the signs from "Men working" to "People working", and changed the names of "manhole covers" to "personhole covers".

Absolutely ridiculous, I do believe, not counting the expense of changing the signs.

Thanks for your help everyone. Some intresting views. Incase anyone is wondering, princess describe a Jr Assistant Cruise Directors hours as: 11 hours per day, with no scheduled tine of for 6 months!

Thanks for your help everyone. Some intresting views. Incase anyone is wondering, princess describe a Jr Assistant Cruise Directors hours as: 11 hours per day, with no scheduled tine of for 6 months!

But then they get 2? months off. So lets work it out.

Home for vacation (2 months). Back to work (6 months)

Back home with a new baby (takes 9 months)

Archived