Golden, Anybody been on her since drydock?

slomotion

I read on an earlier thread here (before the dry-dock) that they were going to take out the Godiva chocolate store and put in a pizzaria. Can anybody confirm whether or not that happened? (It relates to some clues I am giving my wife about an upcoming surprise cruise on the Golden.)

The chocolate shop is called the "Vines Shops" and it is still there. As far as I know, there were NO major changes to any facilities onboard.

Thanks, robsaw. Do you know if it was changed from Godiva to Vines Shops or was I just mistaken about it ever being Godiva?

I',sure they now have pools all working. I'm not sure about Godiva but was surprised to see a fudge shop. Lots of new carpets which did make quite a mess as new carpet does shed a lot.

Thanks, robsaw. Do you know if it was changed from Godiva to Vines Shops or was I just mistaken about it ever being Godiva?

All I know is that it was called "Vines Shop" before this dry dock and for at least some time before that. No idea if it used to have another name at some point in its history.

All I know is that it was called "Vines Shop" before this dry dock and for at least some time before that. No idea if it used to have another name at some point in its history.

"Vines shop" is what it is called on other ships that sell* the Godiva chocolate there.

* "Sell" is used loosely here. I have never seen a customer looking at or buying chocolate there when I have been near it.

It started life as the Vines Shop after her 2009 major drydock. At that time there were a lot of wine related items stocked there. We haven't sailed her since October of 2009 or the Star since March of 2010 but I have seen posts that on the three ships with the Vines Shop (Golden, Star and Caribbean) they have tried stocking different products such as Godiva chocolates to find a more profitable product mix.

It started life as the Vines Shop after her 2009 major drydock. At that time there were a lot of wine related items stocked there. We haven't sailed her since October of 2009 or the Star since March of 2010 but I have seen posts that on the three ships with the Vines Shop (Golden, Star and Caribbean) they have tried stocking different products such as Godiva chocolates to find a more profitable product mix.

Star Vines shop shown below. I never saw it any busier than it is in these pictures.

2600327650016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2792188440016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Star Vines shop shown below. I never saw it any busier than it is in these pictures.

Vines, from what I remember was never too busy on the Caribbean Princess either.

That's also about the busiest we have seen the Vines Shop on the Golden and the Star. Vines Shop is pretty much a waste of space. This area wasn't changed during the Star's major drydock last November so it will probably stay the underutilized Vines Shop at least until the next round of drydocks for the Caribbean, Golden and Star in 2014/2015. If the Celebrations Gift Shop is successful on the new Royal then maybe they will rework the area similar to that.

I was on the Golden twice in 2011, and the Vines Shop had been replaced by Godiva Chocolates. All that was in the space was expensive boxes of chocolate. I saw no wines for sale in that area. (The Vines Bar was still next to it, however.) It agree with the other posters that it's a waste of space. It was hardly ever open, and when it was no one was there.

5432069329_939d9d2ab9_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

5432069411_d6d92cde9e_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

That's also about the busiest we have seen the Vines Shop on the Golden and the Star. Vines Shop is pretty much a waste of space. This area wasn't changed during the Star's major drydock last November so it will probably stay the underutilized Vines Shop at least until the next round of drydocks for the Caribbean, Golden and Star in 2014/2015. If the Celebrations Gift Shop is successful on the new Royal then maybe they will rework the area similar to that.

On the Grand that is where they moved the Vines bar and then put Alfredo's where the bar had been.

On the Grand that is where they moved the Vines bar and then put Alfredo's where the bar had been.
There was no Vines bar on the Grand before her drydock last year so no Vines bar to remove for Alfredo's. I doubt that Princess will tear out a perfectly good Vines bar to put in Alfredo's. Alfredo's only went in on the ships that did not have a Vines bar already (Grand, Sapphire and next year probably the Diamond). If Alfredo's was going to replace the existing Vines bar they probably would have done that on the Star last November. At least other ships with a Vines bar offer tapas and sushi with your drinks.

"Vines shop" is what it is called on other ships that sell* the Godiva chocolate there.

* "Sell" is used loosely here. I have never seen a customer looking at or buying chocolate there when I have been near it.

I was on the Golden for two weeks (Feb 2011) and never saw anyone buying chocolates.....

Bob

Archived