onboard expense account question

We're going on our 1st cruise in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to best handle an onboard account for my 12 year old. Does everything have to go on a seapass or can extras be paid for in cash? My daughter is a pretty responsible kid but I'm concerned with a credit card being tied to the card in the event she loses it.

What do people with kids who may be around the ship with older cousins but w/o mom or dad do about this?

Thanks.

They do not handle cash on board, it all goes on the seapass cards. Having a talk with your kids precruise will help. And you can track purchases on the Televisions in your room. You can set it up on a cash account and not tie it to your credit card. We have done this on past cruises and it works out great, we just visit very early in the am to put more in our account if we need to.

We're going on our 1st cruise in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out how to best handle an onboard account for my 12 year old. Does everything have to go on a seapass or can extras be paid for in cash? My daughter is a pretty responsible kid but I'm concerned with a credit card being tied to the card in the event she loses it.

What do people with kids who may be around the ship with older cousins but w/o mom or dad do about this?

Thanks.

I believe Guest Services will also work with you and put an upper limit on a SeaPass account if you desire.

We sailed last year with our 15 and 12 year old boys. I went to Guest relations and put a limit on what they could use, then the boys came and told us when their seapasses had reached the limit...and as long as they were'nt running thru it too quickly , then I upped the limit.

Guest Relations are well used to it.......either go early or late at night on your way to bed ! ( thats what I did!!! )

When we cruised with our two DD's we set up a daily limit for them. So they could never go crazy. It was actually a great idea, it taught them to budget their money. They were 13 and 18 at the time. My DH set it up at guest services.

I don't think there's much to interest a kid, as far as spending goes...except for the arcade, if they're into that.

You can put a set amount on their seapass....if they spend it...too bad! It's gone! Lovely lesson in money management!

The best suggestion that we have heard is to put a certain limit on the account (i.e. $50 or so depending on their age) and let them know that whatever is left over at the end of the cruise, they can keep. Then they feel an ownership of the money and tend to spend less frivolously. Just a thought... you know your kids best.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I went ahead and set my daughter's seapass as pay in cash. I was more worried about the card getting lost and someone using it with my credit card attached than I was with her overspending. Luckily she doesn't like the arcade or soda but I imagine the gift shops will hold some interest.

Archived