First HAL Cruise-Underwhelmed by Nieuw Amsterdam

Aquahound

Wow, as the first person who responded to your review I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of people who have posted and by the "tone" of all of the posts! :cool:

Hopefully someone from HAL is reading... because as much as DH & I love their port intensive itineraries there is no way we would consider HAL for a cruise with a lot of "sea days"(ie. a TransAtlantic) which is unfortunate. With the price of airfares, a cruise to Europe for example would be wonderful.

Thank you. :). There are one or two that I don't think understand exactly what it is I'm complaining about, but I am very pleasantly surprised at the level of maturity and understanding in this thread. :)

Thank you. :). There are one or two that I don't think understand exactly what it is I'm complaining about, but I am very pleasantly surprised at the level of maturity and understanding in this thread. :)

It's not that I don't understand. I really do. Just because I don't agree please don't take that as not understanding. I would not go on the Oasis of the Seas expecting to be self entertained or that it would be quiet. For that reason it's highly doubtful that I will cruise on that ship. I would not try it hoping that they would choose to change things to suit me. I'm sorry if you do not understand this.

Wow, as the first person who responded to your review I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of people who have posted and by the "tone" of all of the posts! :cool:

Hopefully someone from HAL is reading... because as much as DH & I love their port intensive itineraries there is no way we would consider HAL for a cruise with a lot of "sea days"(ie. a TransAtlantic) which is unfortunate. With the price of airfares, a cruise to Europe for example would be wonderful.

I would also not consider a multiple sea day cruise on any line because that does not work for me. Isn't that sort of a good thing to understand that about yourself instead of trying to change to world to suit yourself? I'm sorry if you feel my "tone" is not appropriate but I think it's sort of ok to be realistic.

It's not that I don't understand. I really do. Just because I don't agree please don't take that as not understanding. I would not go on the Oasis of the Seas expecting to be self entertained or that it would be quiet. For that reason it's highly doubtful that I will cruise on that ship. I would not try it hoping that they would choose to change things to suit me. I'm sorry if you do not understand this.

Exactly. To not meet all tastes and expectations all the time is not a deficiency of any particular cruise line. It is merely an observation of one passenger's tastes. You stated this point well. The good thing today is one can get the virtual feel for almost any cruise line from multiple sources, well ahead of signing up.

Things to do on sea days - we did a transatlantic and I wondered what 7 days would be like but HAL put on some great lectures and a lot more than on a typical cruise on a variety to interesting topics appropriate to where we were traveling and general interest as well.

There were themed buffets for lunch and wonderful afternoon teas that broke up the afternoon. The movies were current. And the draw of the outdoors just being at sea with a good book or an iPod or browsing the excellent ship Library worked for us.

Not having a 24 hour restaurant (besides room service) was hardly a drawback for us because there were things to nibble at all day long. We just kind of moved from meal to lecture to meal to activity and then it was time for dinner and more meal to activity. It worked and the 7 days really flew by.

Respectfully (and I really mean that), I think you are focusing a little too much on my lack of entertainment complaint. Believe me, I know enough about the cruise industry to not expect a HAL ship to be like the Oasis. I not only cruise a lot, I am in a career field that regulates and often investigates the cruise industry. Much of what I found on NA did not surprise me one bit. However, there were 2 things that really did surprise me......the really bad dining room service, and the fact the ship actually did shut down as early as it did. And like I said in the original review, it baffled me they had no entertainment on nights preceding sea days. Those 2 nights, especially, when there was no reason to get up early, they should have done more to entertain.

But let's remember one other thing I said. I booked this cruise because no other cruise line could match the itinerary. I went in to this optimistic and frankly, was just looking for the cruise to be nice. And nice it was. But like the title of my thread, the ship was just underwhelming to me.

I would also not consider a multiple sea day cruise on any line because that does not work for me. Isn't that sort of a good thing to understand that about yourself instead of trying to change to world to suit yourself? I'm sorry if you feel my "tone" is not appropriate but I think it's sort of ok to be realistic.

Frankly, your post stunned me. Why on earth do you think that I was referring to you in any way? :eek:

And my use of the word "tone" was not derogatory in the least, to ANY poster. I think I stated that I was "pleasantly surprised" by the response received... :confused:

Frankly, your post stunned me. Why on earth do you think that I was referring to you in any way? :eek:

And my use of the word "tone" was not derogatory in the least, to ANY poster. I think I stated that I was "pleasantly surprised" by the response received... :confused:

Ok, my bad. I took it as being negative so I apologize since it's seems that was not your intent. Since I've been more vocal than most in this thread I took that to mean me. I took a cruise on the Veendam in April and there were a lot of complaints about the cruiseline by peeps on my cruise that I simply could not understand. I think it's good to match expectations to reality because I really don't like to see anyone waste their money on something that may not be their style.

Ok, my bad. I took it as being negative so I apologize since it's seems that was not your intent. Since I've been more vocal than most in this thread I took that to mean me.

Thank you so much for your apology because I truly meant no disprespect to you or anyone here! :eek: Perhaps my use of "quotations" for the word tone was confusing, but I honestly was trying to tell the OP how pleased I was that he had received such positive feedback (by everyone, including you!).

Heck, I'm several years older than you, Mr Chew is over 60, and we feel like WE have been the babies on our two long HAL cruises! On our shorter 10-day Caribbean cruise this Feb on the Noordam, the average age was probably much younger than noted above, lots of 20/30-something couples, but I guess the longer itineraries skew the average upwards.

Totally agree! :D

The average age, as reported by the bridge on our 15 day Hawaii cruise was 73. :eek:

That was the cruise that I learned that I prefer a more port intensive cruise, I was not well suited to only 4 port days of the 15 day cruise! Lesson learned, our next cruise has 20 ports in 24 days! ;)

Respectfully (and I really mean that), I think you are focusing a little too much on my lack of entertainment complaint. Believe me, I know enough about the cruise industry to not expect a HAL ship to be like the Oasis. I not only cruise a lot, I am in a career field that regulates and often investigates the cruise industry. Much of what I found on NA did not surprise me one bit. However, there were 2 things that really did surprise me......the really bad dining room service, and the fact the ship actually did shut down as early as it did. And like I said in the original review, it baffled me they had no entertainment on nights preceding sea days. Those 2 nights, especially, when there was no reason to get up early, they should have done more to entertain.

But let's remember one other thing I said. I booked this cruise because no other cruise line could match the itinerary. I went in to this optimistic and frankly, was just looking for the cruise to be nice. And nice it was. But like the title of my thread, the ship was just underwhelming to me.

I will repeat (and I know I better throw on my flame suit) that I totally agree with you. In my humble opinion, HAL does the smaller ships far better than the larger ones. In fact the entertainment on the Prinsendam was FAR better than most entertainment I have seen on many ships.

Mind, you it's more laid back, not Las Vegas style, but if you like real talent, we had it.:) As to dining - we stick with fixed dining so I can't comment there - I just go by comments I have heard so we happily stick with fixed dining - HAL does it well - :)

and yes, I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam (tightening up the strings on my flame throw protection suit) and it is the LAST ship I would sail on HAL (ok, maybe 2nd last). the service level on this ship, the dining room service, etc simply do not compare to other ships in the fleet. I would rather take my chances with older ships and have good service than new ships and lacklustre service JMO though.

Wait, I have to make sure the flame thrower suit is on tight

Good to know Jacqui, because I've learned that you are a "person to pay attention to" here! :cool:

We've sailed on the Veendam (pre- "improvements" ;)), Ryndam, Westerdam, and Eurodam. Our first repeat will be on the Eurodam in September.

We also only sail with fixed dining, and I quickly learned that when the HAL site says "waitlisted only" that doesn't really mean anything....

I'm curious as to what the other HAL ship is that you wouldn't repeat? :confused:

and yes, I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam (tightening up the strings on my flame throw protection suit) and it is the LAST ship I would sail on HAL (ok, maybe 2nd last). the service level on this ship, the dining room service, etc simply do not compare to other ships in the fleet. I would rather take my chances with older ships and have good service than new ships and lacklustre service JMO though.

That's good to know, but really a shame if you think about it. A cruise line such as HAL really should strive to provide excellent service on all ships. What is it? Is it HAL, or is it a trickle down effect from the bean counters at Carnival Corp? Or does HAL just not do well with large ships? Either way, new ships tend to attract people from other cruise lines, but unfortunately, NA does not give a good first impression.

hi,

maybe I missed something.....but is the "red" dining room for anytime dining only, and if so ..what about the traditional dining room ?

we have not sailed with HA for several years, and the reviews for NA are making me question things.

I defintely want some after dinner options besides prodcution numbers and I'd love to hear about the pools, too.

thanks!!!

Wait, I have to make sure the flame thrower suit is on tight

Why? :cool:

We are all entitled to our opinions. My least favorite vessel is in the current "S" class, my one cruise on her was a really stinky one if you get my drift. :eek: Again, our experiences vary wildly by person by cruise.

I would hope that we are all adult enough that we can all agree to disagree without flames......:D

hi,

maybe I missed something.....but is the "red" dining room for anytime dining only, and if so ..what about the traditional dining room ?

we have not sailed with HA for several years, and the reviews for NA are making me question things.

I defintely want some after dinner options besides prodcution numbers and I'd love to hear about the pools, too.

thanks!!!

We're only talking about the Nieuw amsterdam here - she has a lot of fans - I just don't happen to be one - dining room is red both upper and lower - what I found was that the words of certain passengers reverberated and we could hear them two tables away - probably the wrong table - not sure - but I wasn't the only one at the table who noticed it.

Haven't heard this complaint on any other ship - and have been on a few.

Heading back on the Prinsendam happily and loved the Maasdam.

so don't worry about the cruise line - what we don't like might not even phase you and it was only the one ship:)

I just (well in March) took my first 7 day cruise -- on the Eurodam. Now I won't 'diss' the ship -- but for me it was a tad too big -- and the cruise too short -- what was interesting is that it was obvious from the first day that the ambiance was different. Didn't feel like the 'home' that I used to come to on HAL. Just my humble opinion, but we did mention it to one of the officers who agreed that a 7 day cruise is definitely a different atmosphere. The service was superb as usual -- no complaints there.

My grandson was impressed that people remembered his name, his preferred soda and that he liked the 'real' Sambal (ie from the crews mess).

He was also flabbergasted that on the last night when we went to the SeaView Bar that the bartender had noticed that we missed a couple of nights(we would go up for my DH cigar and after dinner drinks).

All in All -- I would have to say -- I much prefer the smaller ships and longer cruises.

I just (well in March) took my first 7 day cruise -- on the Eurodam. Now I won't 'diss' the ship -- but for me it was a tad too big -- and the cruise too short -- what was interesting is that it was obvious from the first day that the ambiance was different. Didn't feel like the 'home' that I used to come to on HAL. Just my humble opinion, but we did mention it to one of the officers who agreed that a 7 day cruise is definitely a different atmosphere. The service was superb as usual -- no complaints there.

My grandson was impressed that people remembered his name, his preferred soda and that he liked the 'real' Sambal (ie from the crews mess).

He was also flabbergasted that on the last night when we went to the SeaView Bar that the bartender had noticed that we missed a couple of nights(we would go up for my DH cigar and after dinner drinks).

All in All -- I would have to say -- I much prefer the smaller ships and longer cruises.

wise words :):) mostly because I agree - smaller ships and longer cruises as opposed to bigger ships and shorter cruises:p:p

I defintely want some after dinner options besides prodcution numbers and

I'd love to hear about the pools, too.

Kazu did answer correctly, but I'll add a little more to it. The entire dining room, both floors, was red, but what made it so ghastly was the very, very bright flourescent track lighting that went around the entire dining room. You could get away from the lighting if you were lucky enough to get a table on the windows or in the very middle of the room. It gave the room a cafeteria feel. I heard many names made up about the dining room, most I cannot repeat here.

After dinner options - In the Queen's Lounge, the cruise Director staff did several game shows. They were typically scheduled for 9:00, between the 2 main show times. They did Majority Rules, their version of the Newlywed Game, and some game where the crew had to guess the name of an actor by asking questions of the audience. Of the 12 nights, they did one lido deck party/buffet, but it started and ended early.

About the pools. The pools were cruise ship average. Nice, but nothing special. Both used ladders rather than walk-in stairs. A nice feature was, on the ship info channel on the stateroom television, it displayed the pool temperature. The pools were heated. My gripe was the private cabanas. I guess they would have been nice to reserve, but they take up a lot of deck space around the pool. Deck chairs were very valuable property around the Lido pool.

We wer actually on the same cruise as 'Aquahound' (we were on the 'Godfather' tour together in Catania - Hi!)...to be fair, we did not take advantage of activities on the ship (we were so tired at the end of the day that we went right back to our cabin after dinner)...however, we loved the cruise and ship! We've only done a few cruises (Royal Caribbean) so we don;t have much to compare it to. We loved the Pinnacle Grill & Tamarind; Canaletto was good, too. Hated the MDR! We had open-seating, and even with reservations, met mass confusion when we showed up to dinner. They never seemed to know what table to seat us at. We thought the food was simply 'ok' (but again, we were never impressed with the dining rooms on Royal Caribbean!). On the nights we did not have reservations at any of the restaurants, we opted to have dinner in the LIDO...pretty much the same menu as the MDR, but much brighter and we ALWAYS got a window-side table.We were lucky enough to be able to have breakfast every morning in the Pinnacle, too...so we got VERY spoiled by the service!

We picked this cruise because of her itinerary, and were not disappointed (except for the weather!). We actually signed up for a Caribbean cruise next March, so it will be interesting to see how that differs from a Med cruise.

We wer actually on the same cruise as 'Aquahound' (we were on the 'Godfather' tour together in Catania - Hi!)....

I have to say, the time spent with you on that tour was one of the highlights of the cruise. Sicily was a great day. I have since watched all 3 Godfather movies and reflected upon our time in Savoca (called Corleone in the movie).

2360660330080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2533348540080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

thanks to all who answered my questions.

the red dining room and bright lights might be enough to make me switch from NA to Eurodam for a similar price and comparable itinerary.

I appreciate the feedback.

I've been on both the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam, and liked the layout of the Zuiderdam much more.

Oh, dear! I just hated reading this thread : <( Since I've sailed on more than half of HAL's fleet, I didn't give a thought to the fact that service might not be up to par on this larger ship, nd we've booked her for 24 day Med cruise.

Hope my experience is a bit better than some on this thread experienced. Like others of you, we booked for the itinerary - which is always our criteria, whether on HAL, Azamara or Oceania. But there is no question in my mind: you do get better service on the smaller ships.

Oh' date=' dear! I just hated reading this thread : <( Since I've sailed on more than half of HAL's fleet, I didn't give a thought to the fact that service might not be up to par on this larger ship, nd we've booked her for 24 day Med cruise.

Hope my experience is a bit better than some on this thread experienced. Like others of you, we booked for the itinerary - which is always our criteria, whether on HAL, Azamara or Oceania. But there is no question in my mind: you do get better service on the smaller ships.[/quote']

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had some bad service on other HAL ships, both large and small. Really, I think it's the luck of the draw. I would say my service was pretty good on the NA in February.

Archived