Water on ship

kr9457

Read somewhere that the water on the ships are filtered sea water and that it contains salt yet. Do the cruiseships allow people to bring bottled water onboard? If so where in Seward is a good place to purchase it before boarding? Are there ports that it's possible to pick up 12 packs of water to take back on board? Or is bottled water fairly reasonable on Celebrity ships?

Yes, the ships often desalinate water and it is more pure than anything you can purchase in a bottle. What a lot of people do is just refill bottles and keep them in their fridge as the water from the tap can be a bit warm.

Putterdude is correct. You might do a forum search for desalination if you want to learn more about the water on cruise ships. I'd save the time and money and bring a refillable bottle onboard. However if you feel it is necessary, then there are a number of stores in the small boat harbor area of Seward that is a short walk from the cruise pier that would undoubtedly have water for sale.

I'm picky about water and only like a few brands of bottled water because i don't like the mineral or metalic taste of many of them (like Desani). The water on the cruise ship was very good.

Read somewhere that the water on the ships are filtered sea water and that it contains salt yet. Do the cruiseships allow people to bring bottled water onboard? If so where in Seward is a good place to purchase it before boarding? Are there ports that it's possible to pick up 12 packs of water to take back on board? Or is bottled water fairly reasonable on Celebrity ships?

Even if it starts as seawater, the water is not filtered. Filtering takes out solid materials with particle sizes larger that the pore sizes of the filter. Since salt in sea water is sized at the atomic level, it is impossible to filter salt out of sea water.

There are, however, many other processes that can remove salt from sea water. You can use distillation, ion exchange, or RO membranes.

The bottom line is that regardless of the source of the water you drink on the ship, the final product is probably better than the stuff that comes out of your faucet at home.

However, if you as with many other people are convinced that tap water at less than 1 cent per gallon is not good to drink, you can pay dollars per gallon to buy bottled water and bring it on the ship with you.

BTW - do not believe everything you read or have heard from a source somewhere (even if you find it on a Google search on on Wikipedia) unless you verify the accuracy of the source of the data.

DON

I would check the Celebrity board about costs to purchase water.

Yes, you can easily get water in Seward.

Keith

I have heard that people attribute swelling to cruise ship water; therefore, the choose to bring it on. (We all make choices for personal reasons - not my place to change your mind.)

Most lines (if not all - it can be a money maker) will sell you bottle water - at a premium just like soda, beer, wine & spirits.

I can't speak to Celebrity, but there are lines that will allow you to bring on bottled water. Call Celebrity & ask someone with the authority to answer your question & can give you any resrictions.

I also can ot speak to where in your port to make the purchase - look for a grocery or Wal-Mart rather than a convenience store...

Archived