Solstice Sunset Veranda (Aft) or Aqua Class which would you book?

BBsails

We've sailed on several M-Class ships and on the Equinox. I have a 24-hour hold on a cruise on the Solstice (Barcelona to Venice to Barcelona). Previously, we've sailed in a suite, Concierge class, and a couple different balcony levels but have never had a Sunset veranda (aft) nor been in AQ. There's a $40 difference between the two, so price is not a factor. I'm not asking you to make the decision, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have about the pros/cons of each. Thanks a bunch!

I'll let you know after we get home on the 25th! We have had a SV on Equinox and it was very peaceful. Quiet location but far from the elevators or stairs. As for AQ we are in one in less than two weeks. All depends on whether you want the benefits of Blu versus the view from the aft.

Snow bunny

Hi Betsy, would love to talk to you since our cruise on Equinox. We had an aft on our cruise to Australia on Mercury. The balcony was huge and it was fabulous. The wake is mesmerizing. We had dinner out there three times. I can't comment on AQ since we have not yet sailed in that class, but will next year. I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise no matter what you choose.

We just returned from Solstice cruise in early May and had Sunset aft cabin. Loved the views and the long walks to stairs but our cabin on deck 8 had very limited cover from elements so useless when it rained and a little brutal on strong sun days after couple hours sitting out. We also had a soot issue. We had looked at Aqua class but price difference made it not worth it as premium was over $ 600 for both of us

We've sailed on several M-Class ships and on the Equinox. I have a 24-hour hold on a cruise on the Solstice (Barcelona to Venice to Barcelona). Previously, we've sailed in a suite, Concierge class, and a couple different balcony levels but have never had a Sunset veranda (aft) nor been in AQ. There's a $40 difference between the two, so price is not a factor. I'm not asking you to make the decision, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have about the pros/cons of each. Thanks a bunch!

We've done both SV (Equinox) and AQ (Silhouette). For a $40 difference, we would select AQ. We were not impressed with SV due to reasons a previous poster mentioned - soot, small overhang (~18 inches) exposes you to the elements, and we experienced awful vibration & noise at 6:00am when the ship docked. Since you live in SF Bay area, you can relate when I tell you that the first morning we woke to this shaking of the bed, we immediately thought of an earthquake, and in our grogginess it took a little while for us to realize, "wait a minute, we're at sea" :o. Yet other posters, in other threads, have reported no noise/vibration, and little or no soot (depends on wind direction, I guess). The view from SV is great and is the only redeeming value, from our perspective.

The walk from SV to elevators was not bothersome most of the time, but toward the end of a 14-day cruise, it started to become annoying for "quick trips" to Oceanview buffet for a cup of coffee or cold drink to bring back to the cabin.

I didn't think there were any aft Aqua cabins, only Concierge, on Deck 11. Can anyone confirm?

1668-1676 are aft and AQ on Solstice only, I believe - we have 1670 for Australia/NZ Feb 2014 and are looking forward to having the best of both worlds! :)

SL_Penthouse_Deck_1450.gif

I didn't think there were any aft Aqua cabins, only Concierge, on Deck 11. Can anyone confirm?

I think that me staying in the cabin is confirmation enough..., but they were CC and during the Solstice dry dock a fewmonths ago, they changed many of the CC cabins on deck 11 to AQ. I actually didn't realize it was only on Solstice?

Other than an aft view, the aft balcony cabins are nothing to write home about. (unlike the Mclass acts). Not even something I would have to consider. It would be AQ without QUESTION.

Jo-Ann

It is very much a personal choice. We have done aft cabins and loved them. The view is wonderful and you are protected from the winds in cooler climates. We have come to love Aqua class simply because we love Blu. The food is excellent and we like the more intimate atmosphere. We will choose Aqua every time but if you like the main dining room, go with aft.

Quick update: Thanks to Wonders10 we have a deposit on an AQ aft cabin on the Solstice. Had no idea there were AQ aft cabins! We also have a deposit on a C1 aft on another cruise (all AQ afts booked) for the same itinerary, and will decide closer to final payment which to book. One thought is that we will probably have more opportunities to book AQ than aft on future cruises (more AQ cabins available than aft), so we may go ahead and do C1 aft this time and AQ aft or non aft next time. Thanks for your help. The aft/Aqua combo sounds great!

Betsy

Archived