call from CCL

Shipbound

I hope you didn't give out the information- if you did please tell us you did not also tell the mysterious caller when you were going to be on your cruise. If you did any of this I hope you can have a house sitter when you leave other wise I hope you have good home owner insurance!

Hi Gary,

I had a girl named Anna (very nice) call me to check my address. She had my address fine. I was on the phone with her for just a minute. Maybe Carnival is sending us something? I have a minor problem with them at the moment but I am also in the very top of this new loyalty thing. 205 days with Carnival. Very mysterious.

Loretta.

What was the gist of the conversation? Did they introduce themself? What reason did they say they wanted to verify an address?

Did you have caller I.D.? I know I answer NO calls from a number I don't know, and those numbers never leave a recorded message. I would think Carnival I.D. would indicate it was them.

I got the same call today. I told her I don't give out information like that over the phone and asked for her phone number and said I'd call her back. I was in my car at the time and went on to say I'd be home in 1/2 hour.

I phoned back once home to the number she gave me, which was Carnival's number, plus her extension but it rang and rang and was never answered.

I never phoned back after that but I think it's just a new sales method. Oh and it was my cell phone that I just gave to Carnival when I booked our next cruises.

I think it was legitimate ... anyone want the number?

I got the same call today. I told her I don't give out information like that over the phone and asked for her phone number and said I'd call her back. I was in my car at the time and went on to say I'd be home in 1/2 hour.

I phoned back once home to the number she gave me, which was Carnival's number, plus her extension but it rang and rang and was never answered.

I never phoned back after that but I think it's just a new sales method. Oh and it was my cell phone that I just gave to Carnival when I booked our next cruises.

I would question ..but would think someone trying to scam or steal your identity couldnt really do much with a name and adress.Billing information or a social maybe

So, while driving, you jotted down the number she gave you? Why didn't you give the answer while she had you on the phone, if you thought it was legit? Usually if an extension number is given, and no one answers, you get a recording saying to leave a message.

I would question ..but would think someone trying to scam or steal your identity couldnt really do much with a name and adress.Billing information or a social maybe

It's not a matter of someone trying to steal your identity. It's about getting your home address so they can rob you while you are gone. Callers can spoof caller i.d. now, which is a common practice. They can make it look as if they are calling from Carnival, when they are actually calling you from their cell phone two blocks away. Go ahead and Google it. So many times, people post that they are going on vacation, and there are folks out there looking on-line for this information. What's worse, when you post it on Facebook, your home location can be found very easily.

An earlier poster had it right, ask them to give you the address they have on file for you and you can verify it.

And, thinking about it, there is a service for a fee, that does reverse people finding by using an e mail user name, a phone number. There are sites that show your location and actual pictures of YOUR house:D I know this because a friend e mailed me a site, I put in the address of my childhood home and voila...there it was. Also showed a picture of my current location. That's scarey.

Just got a call from CCL asking to confirm my home address, this was a first for that to happen. Has it happen to anyone else?

Gary

Got two calls yesterday, one to my husband then later one to me. When I answered I recognized the number. I asked her why they were calling, she said they were just updating. I was a little concerned that they may have lost some of my history so I asked how many cruises my history showed, took her a second to look it up, she said 28 for you and 26 for your husband. She said "wow, you sailed on the Festivale!" I told her I wished Carnival was the same company it was back then, some changes to the good, but just not that "magical " feeling. Using my husband's 25% on Hawaii in Oct.2013. Then branching out, we will have used all our loyalty perks, as our Diamond perks will be one time only. We will be trying to use that 3/4 person free before then to take our 2 of our grandchildren on a cruise.

What was the gist of the conversation? Did they introduce themself? What reason did they say they wanted to verify an address?

Did you have caller I.D.? I know I answer NO calls from a number I don't know, and those numbers never leave a recorded message. I would think Carnival I.D. would indicate it was them.

I got the same call. The caller ID said Carnival. They had my phone # of course and my address. I said nothing that they didn't already know. And I know they are revamping the pax information sites to show all your cruises and what are you likes and dislikes. I'm sure to was fine.

And Carnival always knows when you're not home because you're on a cruise.

So, while driving, you jotted down the number she gave you? Why didn't you give the answer while she had you on the phone, if you thought it was legit? Usually if an extension number is given, and no one answers, you get a recording saying to leave a message.

I requested the number and recited it to my wife who wrote it down. I told you already that I told HER I don't give that information over the phone. Well I guess they didn't get your memo to make a recording.

Light bulb not fully lit?

I think they have had some data get scrambled. The address for my profile on Carnival got changed to a different state a few months ago. I caught it when I was searching for a cruise and it kept selecting Mass. as my state.

What is the big deal? We received a call from Carnival asking for our updated address (we HAD made a change). We are glad they called.

You people are going to worry yourselves to death for no reason. Carnival was doing a

service for your benefit. And yes, we have caller ID so knew where the call was coming from.

I am beginning to understand why Carnival is not very fond of CruiseCritic.

I'm thinking that Carnival is calling those that will be in their new "Diamond" level to verify their address so they can send out the new Diamond luggage tags. For the ones that received the calls....do you have more then 200 cruise days?? If so then that could be the answer.

What is the big deal? We received a call from Carnival asking for our updated address (we HAD made a change). We are glad they called.

You people are going to worry yourselves to death for no reason. Carnival was doing a

service for your benefit. And yes, we have caller ID so knew where the call was coming from.

I am beginning to understand why Carnival is not very fond of CruiseCritic.

If you are certain it is Carnival, no big deal. But having a family member that is the victim of identity theft (and still having issues from that) and you are not certain it is Carnival, it's a big deal. But I suppose if you have never experienced identity theft, No big deal at all.:rolleyes:

Archived