AirTran Personal Item

Alaska_2012

Hello! If I would like to know how strict AirTran is about the size of your personal item. I have a backpack that is two inches longer and one inch wider than their requirements. Do they actually measure them? Thanks!

The big question is, does it fit under the seat completely so that you won't tangle your feet in it if there is an emergency? That is the main requirement of a personal item.

A carry-on item, such as a carry-on sized suitcase must fit in the overhead compartment.

If the flight is full (many of them are these days) and it doesn't fit, they may check it at the gate. Just be prepared.

Thanks for your replies. I've only flown once and it was awhile ago. I'm not sure about the amount of space under the seat and whether the backpack will fit. We are in exit row seating. Would this give us extra room? Thank you.

Thanks for your replies. I've only flown once and it was awhile ago. I'm not sure about the amount of space under the seat and whether the backpack will fit. We are in exit row seating. Would this give us extra room? Thank you.

The exit row will have extra leg room, for your legs/feet, but the actual "under the seat" space for your stuff will be the same as any other seat, so your personal item can't be any bigger, just because you are in an exit row. In fact, since it's an extra row, the FA's will possibly be MORE diligent in checking to make sure that the personal item is COMPLETELY under the seat in front of you.

Also, your "personal item" is not code for a slightly smaller carryon. If it is a small backpack (like a computer bag), that may very well be a personal item. If it's a backpack that you would go camping with, it's not a personal item.

I use the standard of computer bag/briefcase as the max for a personal item. Of course, YMMV.

That makes sense. I didn't know if it would be allowed to hang over a little because of the extra leg room.

You have to keep the exit row clear, so if anything, the FAs are more vigilant in keeping your belongings totally under the seat in front of you.

Archived