Need some camera/lens advice

I just purchased my very first DSLR a couple days back....got the Canon 60D w/ the 18-135mm IS kit lens and also the 70-300mm USM lens. Deciding on the body and lens combo was quite an undertaking that I am glad is over. :) I'm upgrading from a Lumix FZ35.

Now I have been debating if I should return everything (30 day return policy Best Buy) and buy the 60D and Tamron 18-270 PZD lens from an online retailer. Best buy doesn't sell Tamron and if I don't want an unneeded lens.

Is the lens combination I have sufficient for my needs in Alaska for our cruise in August? Will I be needing to change lenses alot with my setup for what I plan to do? I obviously want some wide angle shots of the landscapes but also some good telezoom ones as well. We have a salmon fishing trip booked, float plane tour of the Misty Fjords, and whale watching. Any recommendations? THanks!

Just my personal opinion, but I hate carrying and changing out multiple lens. I have done it, but since I bought the Tamron 18-270 those days are few and far between. Couple the Tamron with a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter and you rarely will need another lens. With the teleconverter it will autofocus but I find it easier to use manual. Attached is a picture I took using the Tamron with the teleconverter.

Cheers,

F1_BH.jpg.f42745686d1687e685fc95fe279d535b.jpg

Nice photo! I really do think I'd like the convienence of the Tamron but I've read mixed reviews about it.

If I had the Tamron....would there be a need for me to keep the 18-135 or 70-300?

I also see you're in VA, which part? I live near Roanoke.

A superzoom is a nice convenience. The tamron is one of the widest range, has decent image quality. If you are a peeper the tarmon will IQ will be inferior to your two lense combo, but have the huge advantage of rarely every having to change lense.

Got to ask, why you bought a DSLR? For the faster performance ( focus, FPS ), for the ability to interchange lenses for the best image quality?

If only for the range there are a lot of good superzooms these days that are cheaper and smaller than DSLR.

I've actually gone the other route from superzoom, to 2.8 zooms, and likely 1.4 primes and zoom with my feet soon.

Personally I'd go with the two lense kit.

Got to ask, why you bought a DSLR? For the faster performance ( focus, FPS ), for the ability to interchange lenses for the best image quality?

If only for the range there are a lot of good superzooms these days that are cheaper and smaller than DSLR.

I bought for speed and better IQ.

Trust me, I am questioning if I made the right decision about buying the DSLR. Last Thursday I had decided I would buy the 60D on Friday. Thursday night I was researching my butt off on those new mirrorless cameras because I thought I should give them a fair shake before committing to a DSLR. Went to the store to check out the mirrorless and bought the 60D. Although it sounds as if I bought the 60D on a whim, I did TONS of research. I just became very unsure of myself the night before and wondered if a newer superzoom (upgrade from my FZ35), mirrorless or micro 4/3rds would better suit me. What does that say about me? Indecisive, right? :)

I do enjoy taking photos and wanted to "up my game" to the next level. The main reason for the new purchase RIGHT NOW is my Alaskan Cruise. I wanted to buy ASAP to become proficient with it. When Alaska has come and gone, I'll use the camera mainly for hunting (harvest photos), wildlife whether hunting or not, pics of my DIY handywork, landscapes, sunsets, etc. The following is something I posted to another site before I bought my 60D.

Things I need in my new camera

1. DSLR-like quality photos

2. Smaller size

3. Fast continuous shooting speed

4. Availability of Tele- zoom lens for wildlife photography

5. Quiet operation (I take a lot of photos within 10-20 yards of deer, turkey, etc from a treestand)

6. Good low light operation

7. HD video

8. Weatherproofing would be a bonus but I can sacrifice this since it will limit my choices

Realize that the higher power the zoom lens, the less optical quality it will have. As you increase zoom power, the quality goes down and down.

But this might be OK for vacation, if it helps just carry a single lens.

I have a Nikon 18-200mm lens for vacation precisely as it is a single lens and easier to carry. However, this lens - even though it is an $850 lens, is not quite as high quality as my shorter zoom lenses.

Testing I have done on this lens revealed it is a bit soft in certain areas of the zoom range. At least when used wide open.

However, if I stop down to f/8, then the lens is sharp enough to be acceptable, and I am willing to be restricted to using f/8 for this lens on vacation for the ability to carry a single lens.

When I am at home, I get out my more capable lenses though.

At any rate, having to stop down to f/8 means this lens is basically a daylight lens.

So that is one consideration when contemplating replacing your two lenses with a single lens - that it will not have the optical quality of the lenses you have.

And especially as the Tamron is a higher power zoom than an 18-200, you will probably even see more defects. If you want an all-in-one lens, restrict it to a 18-200, and don't be tempted to go further. Even then, like my 18-200, you will probably find you have to go to f/8 to get it to be acceptable.

If you are not prepared to limit yourself to 18-200 in a single lens, then I would advise keeping the two lenses you have.

Good camera + mediocre lens = mediocre photo.

Nice photo! I really do think I'd like the convienence of the Tamron but I've read mixed reviews about it.

If I had the Tamron....would there be a need for me to keep the 18-135 or 70-300?

I also see you're in VA, which part? I live near Roanoke.

Personally I would not keep the two lens. I currently have the Tamron 18-270 which takes 95% of my pictures (along with the 1.4 TC), a Tamron 17-50 2.8 for indoor stuff, a Tamron 90 macro for close-up work, and a Sigma 50-500 for birding and wildlife when I know I can set up on my tripod somewhere.

I am in just outside Warrenton near Manassas.

Cheers,

2. Smaller size

5. Quiet operation (I take a lot of photos within 10-20 yards of deer, turkey, etc from a treestand)

7. HD video

8. Weatherproofing would be a bonus but I can sacrifice this since it will limit my choices

I just bought a Sony Nex-7 as a compact companion for my A77 DSLR. It will be decked out with a wider zoom on Alaska cruises with the long telephoto on the A77. For Caribbean trips and general walkabout, it may be the only camera I haul with me.

Here's how it stacks up to your wish list:

Better than most DSLRs at 24MP. DxOMark score of 81 - same as Canon 5D III and a bit better than the Nikon D7000 (80).

2. Smaller size

Smaller then the Micro 4/3 group and as small as the new Nikon V1 despite having an APS-C sensor wit 1.5x the area of M4/3 and over 3x the area of the CX sensor in the J1.

3.5 fps with full autofocus, 10 fps in speed priority mode with focus locking on first frame. Almost no shutter lag since it has no mirror to move.

Excellent 18-200 lenses available plus the LA-EA2 allows you to mount Sony Alpha lenses on the Nex-7 with full phase-detect autofocus even during movie mode. For more serious tele work, the Sony 70-400 is a best-of-breed lens and is widely available for rental.

Using the front-curtain electronic shutter, it is very quiet with a soft shutter sound and no mirror to slap.

Quite good. DxOMark rates it as 25% better than the 60D and 40% better than the top-end Lumix DMC-GH2.

7. HD video

Max of full-HD at 60p-1080 (30p and 24p available as well)

Rugged body but not specifically weather sealed to shoot in the rain. Small enough for the gallon ziplock raincoat trick!

Hope the info was useful.

Dave

I have an older Canon dslr with kit lenses...I had debated getting the Tamron lens also, just to alleviate always changing lenses. And when out on tours, it would become a pain and get heavy toting around...

I have a cruise to Hawaii/Australia in Sept. and then around South America next Feb. After much thought, though I'm still bringing my dslr, I am going to buy either the new Canon or Panasonic Lumix that have 20x optical zoom. For me, it will be easier for me to tote this around, especially on tours.

But I would like to know how the Tamron works for you if you decide to get it.

Keep what you have. One thing to concider is that for cameras Best Buy charges a 15% return fee on cameras, unless you can get around that somehow, you will lose 15% right off the top.

As far as carrying them around, they are not that heavy, my husband carries around several lenses, oh wait, I mean I carry around several lenses for him. :)

Sounds like you will have a fun cruise. Spend a lot of time playing with the new camera and lenses, taking photos similar to what you want to take.

I'd take a hard look at the new mirrorless cameras.

For IQ the NEX lines I think offers some really good models with I think the best IQ.

For focus and continuous shooting the Nikon 1 is really good. Sadly the ergo/menus leave a lot to desire. With adapter to nikon f-mount and the 2.7 crop factor there are some amazing pictures coming. Silient mode is also very nice.

6 and 8 are absent in almost all mirrorless.

Sadly the mirroreless companies have all bungled their feature set in some way or another that DSLR by accident or design is still the only line that offers everything.

The 60D is an excellente all around choice!

2. Smaller size

7. HD video

Thank you all for the responses. I tried to find the Nex 7 the day I bought my 60D but no one had them in stock. Saw the Nex 5N (perhaps, I forget) but it was an immediate deal-breaker. No view finder.

I might just give it a few more days...having a little buyer's remorse. I specifically asked the salesman at Best Buy about restocking fee and he told me no. Hmmm...I wonder.

Anyway, now time for some fun. Here's a photo I snapped this evening on my way home from work. First pic is the original and the second is after I processed it with the Digital Photo Professional software that came with my cam. Be honest with your critiques. I don't have a clue what I'm doing in the editing program, just adjusted until it looked decent.

BoonesMillPP133.jpg

BoonesMillPP12.jpg

Heres the picture info. I'm not sure what all is normally included with this. I just copied it all.

Camera Model Canon EOS 60D

Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0

Shooting Date/Time 6/3/2012 6:46:53 PM

Owner's Name

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/40

Av( Aperture Value ) 22.0

Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering

Exposure Compensation +2/3

ISO Speed 500

Auto ISO Speed ON

Lens EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Focal Length 18.0mm

Image Size 5184x3456

Image Quality Fine

Flash Off

FE lock OFF

White Balance Mode Auto

AF Mode AI Focus AF

AF area select mode Automatic selection

Picture Style Standard

Sharpness 3

Contrast 0

Saturation 0

Color tone 0

Color Space sRGB v1.31 (Canon)

Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off

High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Standard

Highlight tone priority 0:Disable

Auto Lighting Optimizer Standard

Peripheral illumination correction Enable

File Size 11744KB

I would suggest just quit worrying about your gear and what to buy and go take pictures. Your greatest improvement will be if you learn the basics about photography-exposure and composition etc. You'll get sooooo many opinions on the net and 90% of the people giving them have no idea about your circumstances or have the knowledge behind their opinion. Most cameras produced currently are more advanced and will yield higher quality results than the vast majority of users will ever need or utilize. As far as your 1st quest about returning your stuff and go with one lens, your current set-up is better than having just the one Tamron lens, as far as your photo, it looks fine, but on a landscape, you would want the sun falling on the subject so you don't get the washed out sky and I very rarely shoot at f22 or small aperture like that because you will have sharper images at medium apertures.

Thank you for the advice. I am starting to warm up to the fact of keeping my setup. The Tamron would be ideal as a hunting setup but time will tell if I go with that lens.

I'll have to try again with the shot of the old train station....maybe in the morning. The sun was directly behind it yesterday evening.

Ms Kaufman....that is the appealing part of the Tamron. I'd hate to miss a shot while changing lenses.

That Tamron is impressive! I'm liking what I'm seeing. Thanks for sharing!

Still playing with my new 60D. Here's a photo I snapped this afternoon. Playing around with Depth of field.

HaybalePP22.jpg

The main reason for bying a DSLR today (I have a Pentax K-20) is for a good big view finder and a good sensor. You've done that.

The second reason is for a choice of lenses. My daughter has a Canon and loves her lenses. Canon makes some the best lenses on the market.

Thus endeth the opinion section

Now for the advice. Shoot in RAW format not JPEG. That way you control the process.

RAW images almost always require post processing, but what you can do with them with the right software is WOW.

I use Lightroom 4.0. It costs $150. It's cheaper than the Tamron lens and can put the shine on that barn, which by the way is a nice picture.

If you would like, try this. Pick a contrasty subject. Put your camera on a tripod if you have one (or free hand). Take a JPEG photo. Then do it over again in RAW. PM both images to me. I will process them for you to show you what I mean.

I got by with my Olympus e-620 and the two kit lenses. For Alaska, the 40-150mm (Crop factor makes it a 80-300mm) on shore excursions, and the 14-42 aboard ship. I left the 14-42 aboard ship. Since then, I've purchased a Nikon d5100 and the 18-200mm lens, and took it all over Hawaii. I like the all in one lens. I don't think this lens will take a converter though. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being set straight.

If you're doing the Denali Wilderness tour, you'll need as long a lens as you can handhold. I shot this one on my 40-150 at 150mm.

1097673071_Alaska2010516web.jpg.21035aa8a9d2daa20abc202ff94be594.jpg

Singinman...I'll take you up on your offer. I can shoot in both raw and jpeg simultaneously, I believe. I just googled lightroom. Is it considered photoshop? I'm just using what came with my camera which I'm sure is barebones.

Thanks for the tip, Knittingirl.

Since then, I've purchased a Nikon d5100 and the 18-200mm lens, and took it all over Hawaii. I like the all in one lens. I don't think this lens will take a converter though. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being set straight.
You're correct, the 18-200mm won't take a TC.

I also would recommend the Tamron 18-270 PZD lens. I took it on our just completed Alaskan cruise and the value of a carry all-in-one affords you more opportunities you would miss trying to fiddle around changing lenses all the time. I also found the image quality quite good, not as good I'm sure if compared one to one with a high quality prime lens, but for it's intended purpose it is the most practical.

I also have a EOS 60D, shot at highest resolution and ISO 400 setting. When I edited my photos, even the ones that I blew up to get closer view of distant wildlife look excellent!

Archived