Suggestions on Istanbul Hotels

On the Mariner 7/3 and disembarking in Istanbul. My first time there and I am very excited to see this city. We will be there an additional 3 nights.

I have been told to stay in the old city (sultanahmet) near all the major attractions and I have also been told to stay near Taksim Square (beyoglu). Taksim is just a short tram to the old town and has advantages of better shopping, dining and not having to constantly put up with the aggressive touts in the old city.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed at the Hotel Sultanhan in the center of the Sultanhamet following our Regent cruise. Very reasonable rates and a large room and bathroom. Also a nice rooftop terrace with a view of the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque as well as the entrance to the Bosphorus. The staff responded quickly to any email inquiries. They arranged for a car to pick us up at the port and to take us to the airport. It was VERY convenient for everything in the old town. We did not need to use the trolley or other public transportation. We saw another couple from our cruise there as well.

I was tempted by the more luxurious hotels near Taksim or on the Bosphorus, but we decided to stay in the old town to maximize what we could see in our limited time. We would have loved to stay at the Four Seasons in the old town but could not justify the $800 for one night.

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton on our first Regent cruise and loved it. Enjoy Istanbul, it is a wonderful city.

We also stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and it was a fabulous hotel. Take the tram into the old town as taxis can be slower.

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak. The location is perfect. It was a short walk to the Topkapi Palace and to the Spice Market. There was also a tram. It was easy to get around. The hotel is small with a very accommodating staff, including the manager of the hotel who gave us his cell phone number and said to call him if we needed anything. When we stayed there (two years ago) it was the #1 rated hotel on Trip Advisor. Just checked and it is now #5....still very highly reviewed considering there are over 750 hotels listed. Our room came with a decent buffet breakfast. There was a roof-top restaurant. I would stay there again. Will definitely want to visit Istanbul again....it's such a facinating city.

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak in April before a trip on Mariner and were very happy indeed with it. The staff made us very welcome and both the dinner and breakfast were excellent.

I wouldn't say it's as up-market as the Ritz Carlton (not that I've stayed there) but it's around a third of the price and it's only a short walk from the Hagia Sofia. You'll need a taxi to get there from the boat, it's too far to walk and ytou won't get on the tram with your luggage.

We look forward to staying there if we visit Istanbul again.

R

We stayed at the Four Seasons on the Bosphorus and it was superb for room, food and service BUT we did get upgraded to what was probably the best suite they had - wonderful views over the Bosphorus to the Asian side. ;)

Also not sure how easy it would be for sightseeing but we had no time anyway.

We stayed at the Ottoman Hotel Imperial prior to an Oceania cruise and had a wonderful stay. It's a great location for walking the city, the staff was great, and we had a lovely room looking out at Hagia Sofia.

Here's a link to the reviews on TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d629391-Reviews-Ottoman_Hotel_Imperial-Istanbul.html

Istanbul, despite the incredible dirtiness, is one of my favorite cities in the world. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Istanbul, despite the incredible dirtiness, is one of my favorite cities in the world. Hope you enjoy yourself.

I am quite surprised by your comment. We have been in Istanbul twice and find it one of the cleanest countries in the world. It seemed that people were cleaning and sweeping everywhere we went. I just wanted to post a different perspective.

Regardless of where you stay - try to get to Cirgan Palace for tea (it is actually a full meal with little sandwiches, pastries, etc. and sit outside overlooking the beautiful Bosphorus. I was quite impressed with Istanbul and did not find it dirty at all - we spent two days touring all over with a private guide.

We spent three days in Istanbul after the Voyager's Dubai-Athens-Istanbul cruises in MArch-April this year. Here's what we had to say (on TripAdvisor) about the Gezi Bosphorus Hotel, Mete Cd. No 34 Taksim, Istanbul 34437, Tel: (90) 212 393 2700, E-mail: info@gezibosphorus.com[/email]:

"A reasonably priced very modern small hotel just down the street from Taksim Square. Unusual setup; rooms above the lobby have views of the Bosphorus, those below look out into a sunken graden as the hotel is built on a steep hill. The standard and deluxe rooms themselves (difference apparently is view only) are not overly large, but they are beautifully furnished, with an excellent bath and adiquate storage space. Wi-fi is included as is a laptop-sized safe; no extra charge for either. Staff is friendly, most helpful, and quite knowledgable. The restaurant offers a rather complete hot and cold breakfast (included), with a changing menu of special items - crepes, pancakes, quiche - featured each day. Lunch was reasonably priced and service was prompt and cordial. Overall we were quite happy with our three day stay during the ANZAK holiday period."

We would stay there again if we return to Istanbul.

I must weigh in on the cleanliness issue. I lived in Turkey for four years, and visited Istanbul just last year. I did not find Istanbul dirty at all, and as a general matter Turks are very attentive to hygiene and cleanliness. There are parts of the old city (and maybe elsewhere, it's a very big city) that do not have modern infrastructure, so it's possible to see patches of dirt in the pathways, water running along the curb, and so forth. But in all the places that matter -- your hotel room, a restaurant, for example -- I would feel confident that the proprietors are being mindful of cleanliness.

When we were in Istanbul, we saw much litter in the streets throughout the tourist areas. There were even many empty water and soda bottles floating in the fountains in the lovely park adjacent to Topkapi Palace. Our hotel was very clean, as were the restaurants we ate in. This was in May 2008 and we saw a lot of trash on the city streets. There was a public holiday at that time and perhaps the litter-bugs were out in force but it made a big impression on me (born and raised in NYC). That said, would I return to Istanbul - YES, YES, YES!

Commodore2010-

My best friend and are on this cruise as well. We are very excited. Our TA highly recommended the Ritz Carlton and we will be staying there for one night after the cruise. I think I am more excited about Istanbul than any of the other ports.

Commodore2010-

My best friend and are on this cruise as well. We are very excited. Our TA highly recommended the Ritz Carlton and we will be staying there for one night after the cruise. I think I am more excited about Istanbul than any of the other ports.

You won't be disappointed (with the hotel is Istanbul). It is one of our favorite cities in the world:)

We love the Hotel Nena in Istanbul! Near all the places you want to see! Breakfast is fabulous and on the top floor. It is in Sultanhamet. It is important to spend at least one half day at Topkaki and hire a guide! you can also eat there.

HAGIA Sofia is also there plus the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. If the Four Seasons is important to you, then do it? But to feel Istanbul stay at a local hotel!

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak in April before a trip on Mariner and were very happy indeed with it. The staff made us very welcome and both the dinner and breakfast were excellent.

I wouldn't say it's as up-market as the Ritz Carlton (not that I've stayed there) but it's around a third of the price and it's only a short walk from the Hagia Sofia. You'll need a taxi to get there from the boat, it's too far to walk and ytou won't get on the tram with your luggage.

We look forward to staying there if we visit Istanbul again.

R

We've stayed at the Sirkeci Konak on two different occasions. It is a very special place. The sevice is very warm and personal. When we checked out the last time, the staff lined up to shake our hands goodby.

We stayed at the Best Western Premier Regency Suites in the Sultanahmet area in May 2010. It is a small hotel very close to the Four Seasons on a nice litte street with restaurants, and only a few blocks from all the sites. We were very pleased with the location and the hotel and would definitely stay there again. We stayed in an Executive King room facing the front on the third floor or so(did not want to be on the ground floor). I e-mailed the hotel directly to make sure which type of room we wanted and to arrange for a driver to pick us up from the airport. We took the tram over to the "new" side one afternoon but were very glad that we actually stayed in the old part of the city.

We spent 4 nights at Hotel Nena in the old part of town where I prefer to stay. The service was spectacular. We had a deluxe room with balcony, worth the extra $. Their rates include breakfast on the upstairs terrace (it's a restaurant at night). Because we were there 4 nights, they even had a driver pick us up and returned us to the airport.

It's not fancy like the Ritz Carlton but the staff is so personable going out of their way to please. Our last morning they even made us a "to go" breakfast to take with us on our 7:00 am flight.

The best part is their location, can't be beat for walking everywhere and just 1/2 block away from public transportation.

I think you'll love Istanbul.

A shopping tip for anyone heading for Istanbul (or Kusadasi, for that matter): Whilst walking around, you will undoubtedly come across some small stores selling perfumes, by the name of D&P Perfumum. They sell a limited range of simply packaged "reproduction" perfumes which smell remarkably like the real thing. Years ago, they'd name them, giving a clue to the original source - our son loved "Boss" which they called "Manager" ! But these days, they don't go that far and simply number the fragrances. They have a website http://www.dpperfumum.com which lists locations.

Well worth a go, their products are inexpensive and, I think, pretty good ;-)

Incidentally, I agree with recommendations to stay in Sultanahmet. Our favourite would be the Four Seasons but I agree that a little local colour can be a fun alternative. In our opinion, the Ritz Carlton was a bit more out of the way and not the easiest of hotels to access on foot either. If you're in the city for just a short time, then it's great to be right in the midde of things, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived