Taking Amtrak home from cruise

april47

I'm taking a TA that disembarks in New York. I am considering taking Amtrak home to Houston. You can get up and move around, go to the observation deck, and dining car. They even have little sleeping room you can book instead of a regular seat. It takes a long time so most people on a schedule would never consider it but I'm retired. You can see a little of the country on the way. Has anyone done this? I am a single lady so is this safe?

I'm taking a TA that disembarks in New York. I am considering taking Amtrak home to Houston. You can get up and move around, go to the observation deck, and dining car. They even have little sleeping room you can book instead of a regular seat. It takes a long time so most people on a schedule would never consider it but I'm retired. You can see a little of the country on the way. Has anyone done this? I am a single lady so is this safe?

Have not tried it yet, but have always wanted to....someday, I hope. I think I would love the relaxation of a train and see parts of the country that one would probably never see. I do not see why it would not be safe....:o Good luck and have a great cruise.:o

NYC to Houston? As in Texas? Talk about a scenic ride home! I doubt you'll find any trouble at all.

It also sounds like a lovely change from cruise life to home life, an extension of your vacation at that. I see no problem, just be sure to pack your bags in a way so its easy to get all your necessities out. Not sure if you hold your luggage with you in the sleeping cabin, perhaps look into that? Its been a while since I've been on amtrak.

We booked the family room Seattle to Los Angeles and a sleeper RT LAX to NYC.

Both those trips were wonderful. As a single I would feel very safe on a train.

Be aware that the train travel is bumpy and jerky and very fun.

I've done cross-country trips with my son a number of times; our first one was in 1991 when he was 6, so from a safety standpoint that almost counts as doing it alone :) That first trip was CT to FL. On another trip (1997?), we flew from CT to San Diego, then took trains from SD to Portland Oregon (Coast Starlight) to Milwaukee (Empire Builder) to CT (Lake Shore Limited). And in 2004, when he was 19, we went CT to DC to Chicago to New Orleans to CT.

Be aware that the sleeping accommodations are rather expensive, and the cost is in addition to the regular rail fare. And unless you book the most expensive ones, you share shower facilities with other people in that sleeping car. You do, however, have your own private toilet and sink in your roomette.

Space in sleepers is limited; you check the bulk of your luggage and only take a smaller suitcase with things you'll need while in transit.

Sometimes the scenery is exquisite, however, when you go through cities and towns, it's generally the worst part of town ("the wrong side of the tracks").

It's certainly doable. Personally, I find train travel to be relaxing and enjoyable, and never once have I felt unsafe.

Keep in mind that you'll have to change trains in Chicago, and each train (New York to Chicago and Chicago to Texas) is an overnighter. I strongly urge you to book a roomette; the extra expense is well worth the privacy and much better sleep you'll get, as compared with sitting upright in the passenger coach.

The train will only take you as close as Longview; you'll then transfer to a bus for the rest of the way to Houston. Don't worry about missing the connection; the bus is dedicated to the train and will wait if it's late. And yes, it may well be late; the Texas Eagle (the train from Chicago to Longview) has a pretty poor on-time performance.

The take-away from this is that you have to have lots of time to kill in order to make this work. But it sounds like you do. I'd say, go for it!

You do, however, have your own private toilet and sink in your roomette.

That is only on the older eastern trains. The Superliners do not have any facilities in a roomette. You need the larger bedroom to have a sink, toilet, and shower. The shower on the lower level is therefore only shared by the roomettes. Best to use in the evening right after dinner if possible.

Hi- Have traveled on Amtrak from Boston to Denver on my own and many times from Boston to California with family. Also travel from Boston to Florida on Amtrak for most of our cruises.

As someone mentioned , be sure to reserve a roomette early as they go up in price sometimes.

If you have a roomette, you will be able to go to the special lounge in Chicago when you wait for your train.

We enjoy train travel and are planning another Boston to California in the Fall.

I remember when rail service was the main means of intercity transportation, and miss its demise more terribly each time I have to endure flying.

But I have only taken a fairly short journey on AmTrak between Reno and Emryville to San Francisco. Loved it, loved it. But...the people on the train (California Zepher) who had ridden it a long distance looked like zombies, hard ridden. The regular seats were like 1st class airline seats, very comfortable, and although I didn't need to sleep, I think I easily could have.

One possibility you may consider would be to not take the full journey, but to stop along the way or to do part rail, part air.

Your post did stir thoughts with me about doing the same thing to avoid at least some air travel and have a more interesting trip home.

Another thing about Amtrak is that freight trains own the rails and if there is a delay, Amtrak must suffer it. You can't set your watch by when the train arrives and departs like you can in Europe. Of course, you can't do that with the airlines here or anywhere, so maybe that's not a big deal.

I am at the point that my next w/in the US travel WILL be by train. I have HAD IT w/all the nickel & diming (sounds like a cruise complaint) of the US airlines and REFUSE to pay more for a 'special (?)" seat, luggage, pkg of peanuts...............

If more of us do/were able to do this we just might be able to reverse some of crazy airline surcharges.

I do NOT mind them on cruise ships because then it is MY choice. The basic needs are covered by my cruise fare, taxes, port charges & the daily service charge. It is my choice to eat in a special place, play bingo, gamble, drink alcohol...............Most of which I do NOT do (do drink some, same as at home).

Just a couple of thoughts...

As others have noted, Amtrak service is notoriously late, so do be prepared for delays.

Definitely, getting a roomette for the journey is worthwhile, but expensive.

You may be disappointed in the service, especially after having just completed a cruise. The staff on many of the Amtrak journeys I have been on just don't seem to have a good attitude towards customer service. Amtrak markets their sleeper service as the reincarnation of the Golden Age of rail, but sadly it does not really measure up.

Archived