Liberty of the Seas

Not usually a fan of ship excursions...however on our western med (LOS) cruise this past August out of Barcelona we did a few of the ship offered DIY's and were very surprised how well they turned out and how much we enjoyed them...The only port we booked a private tour was in Rome and the Vatican with RomeInLimo...Enjoy this amazing itinerary !!

We are doing this cruise in a few weeks. Because of really slow roll calls, I ended up booking the Ships DIY Fast train to Rome, which is aircond, and everyone gets a comfortable seat, and it is reliable. I had planned a RIL tour with other cruise mates but no-one wanted to join. I'm also doing the ships tour to Aix-en-Provence, just for a few hours and because private tours dont really do Toulon. For Livorno and Naples I did manage to get together with another couple and we are sharing a private shore excursion.

The one thing we don't like about ships tours is dealing with around 50 other people for toilet stops etc, and those who keep others waiting. And they are more expensive.

I've been waiting for reviews but they are slow incoming. I will be able to provide info on what we did when we get back in July. I can tell you about what I liked/didn't like but it sure is difficult to make a recommendation for someone you don't know.

Thank you.Have a nice trip.
Not sure which ports you are visiting but here's a link to the shore excursions offered on our recent 5 night sailing where we visited Cannes, Livorno (for Florence and Pisa) and Civitavecchia (for Rome).

As we had visited Rome on 2 occasions previously we opted for the LV20 Florence and Pisa 'on your own' and I think it was excellent.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B1y6fxoIXyDxWlY4SGhzQktzcjA

We are doing this cruise in a few weeks. Because of really slow roll calls, I ended up booking the Ships DIY Fast train to Rome, which is aircond, and everyone gets a comfortable seat, and it is reliable. I had planned a RIL tour with other cruise mates but no-one wanted to join. I'm also doing the ships tour to Aix-en-Provence, just for a few hours and because private tours dont really do Toulon. For Livorno and Naples I did manage to get together with another couple and we are sharing a private shore excursion.

The one thing we don't like about ships tours is dealing with around 50 other people for toilet stops etc, and those who keep others waiting. And they are more expensive.

Please, please come back and report on your Fast Track experience. We have it booked for October. ;)

because private tours dont really do Toulon.

Have you looked at this company?

because private tours dont really do Toulon.

I am sorry, somehow I messed up that link. :o

Here it is again. http://www.tours-in-provence.com/english/home.html

I had a look at those tours, they look lovely but given three long days with Rome, Livorno and Naples, I think a shorter day might do the trick - the ship leaves at 5pm which is when they say the tour returns. And for two people, 160 euros - not sure I want to pay that much. The ships Aix en provence gets reasonable reviews, and you have time to wander on your own which is what we want to do.

I am a bit lucky though - we are driving from Paris, through the Champagne region, Chamonix, Avignon, and then into Barcelona before the cruise (for three weeks!!!) so it isnt like we wont have seen much of Provence before the cruise.

This time in four weeks we'll be in London.

I haven't seen any reviews about the fast train - I guess people think it is expensive given the public train, but if it is hot (we'll be there in late July), crowded, and we are tired from the day, never been to Rome before, well, I am going the safe route and doing the ships train. Maybe next time I'll be brave and go public.

Archived