No love on the Love Boat

cruisdog

MedJet also gives a very nice discount to AARP members.

They do! A policy for myself at age 42 is far more than my mom who is 68. Go figure! I swear by MedJet even though I haven't used them.

To those who find disbelief in all Princess' inappropriate handling of this medical situation because of having experienced just the opposite situation "years ago", the same can be said for many things in cruising that have changed, and not for the better, some drastically from those we knew of a few years ago.

While not the extreme of the OP as we did not have to disembark, I have a very recent experience in the last 3 weeks with the ship's medical department (we did 3 one week cruises from 5/12- 6/2). After coming back from an excursion at the end of the first week, my mom did not feel well at all. She has a history of blood clots and anemia due to blood thinners run a-wild and has had some heart issues in the past. So we wanted to get things checked out. We went to the doctor on the Sapphire. He did a complete work up of EKG, blood, urine and vitals. Thankfully, everything checked out. The cost of this was probably 1/4 of what it would have been back home and the Doctor was fabulous! We did have to pay for it and will submit it to our insurance and then travel insurance (secondary). That is my goal for next week.

Two days later at the beginning of the second cruise, my mom came down with bronchitis and I came down with an evil cold (felt like bronchitis). Back to the doctor's office. I personally thought the doctor did as good of an exam as her doctor would do back home and prescribed very similar meds (antibiotics and cough syrup). He was worried about my mom (potentially) getting pneumonia and asked us to check back daily while he made sure she wasn't getting worse. When she didn't improve as quickly as he had hoped (though she wasn't declining), he added some steroids. He continued to touch base with my mom daily and then as she improved, bi-daily. Since I was down there with my mom during these visits - he would quickly check my temp and ask me questions to make sure my cold was not turning into something more serious.

Honestly - this doctor followed my mom more closely then her doctor back home has when she has had a similar illness. I personally don't have a GP doctor back home and have been looking for one for a few years and would consider myself extremely lucky if I found a doctor half as caring and dedicated as the doctor was on the ship.

So long story short - out of a 21 day cruise, we saw the doctor probably 12 days or so. He was extremely professional, knowledgable, caring, cautious and had a silly sense of humor that made visiting him enjoyable (who would have thought that was even possible?). On the last night of the cruise, he provided a packet for me to give to my mom's internist when we see him next with all of his notes, blood and EKG results.

Yes - we have medical bills to submit to our health insurance and what they don't pay will go to travel insurance. We did have to pay for the medical services provided on the ship upfront but the prices were incredibly reasonable (sort of an oxymoron, medical services reasonably priced). IMO - we received exceptional care. Not only was the Doctor impressive, I could not have been more impressed by every member of the medical team I encountered on the Sapphire --the nurses were equally as professional, caring and helpful.

So while the medical team on the Star may not be impressive, the ones we encountered on the Sapphire were exceptional (above and beyond what I would expect). When I get caught up with life, I plan on writing Princess to let them know how much I appreciated everything the medical team did for us and how much I was impressed with their team.

I have been on 35 plus cruises and this is my only experience with visiting the medical facility and boy was I impressed with the service and expertise.

I am so sorry for the OP (cruisdog) who did not receive the exceptional care we received on our cruise. I sure hope they are doing better now.

Theresa

I have an annual policy because I travel several times a year, whether on a cruise or visiting friends. It's relatively inexpensive: for a family, it's $395 for the year. You can purchase it short-term as well. You're covered as long as you are 150 miles from home, anywhere in the US or internationally. http://medjetassist.com/membership/regulardetails.aspx

Looks like MedJet only covers travelers up to 75 years of age, though. It is a good deal, though, for those younger than that.

Looks like MedJet only covers travelers up to 75 years of age, though. It is a good deal, though, for those younger than that.

Diamond Membership

The Diamond membership offered by MedjetAssist is available to individuals (residents of the United States, Canada and Mexico) between the ages of 75 and 85. This special membership plan was designed to accommodate individuals in this age category who continue to travel and are in good health.

http://medjetassist.com/membership/diamonddetails.aspx

They have more strict guidelines for this level (pre-existing clauses) and doctor has to fill out a form. Read the link for more info.

Diamond Membership

The Diamond membership offered by MedjetAssist is available to individuals (residents of the United States, Canada and Mexico) between the ages of 75 and 85. This special membership plan was designed to accommodate individuals in this age category who continue to travel and are in good health.

They have more strict guidelines for this level (pre-existing clauses) and doctor has to fill out a form. Read the link for more info.

Correct. A friend who is 77 just signed up a couple of weeks ago.

Diamond Membership

Ah, great. Thank you. On our first cruise my husband suffered a severely pulled hamstring at the start of the cruise- requiring that we develop a close relationship with the ship's medical center - with a suggestion, at one point, that we go to a hospital at one port for an MRI - and we considered leaving the cruise and returning to LA. Since then, I always worry a little about what might happen on a longer cruise away from the US even though neither of us have any medical conditions, you just never really know. Since we have a Panama Canal cruise planned for the fall, a short-term policy like this would be perfect. Thanks, again.

Do you have a name of the company that offers the insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, my wife is worried that if we go, we will not be covered.

We did not cash out because we still had 10 days to go on our cruise and were not expecting the cruise to be over so soon.

I really loved to cruise and this was our 15th cruise, hopefully we will go again next year.

Any insurance that I have used, will cover pre-existing as long as you buy it within a week of putting your deposit.

Diamond Membership

Hmmm, looks like they don't have the short-term option for this membership either.

Diamond Membership

They also have platinum for AARP members over age 85. As with diamond, more guidelines, etc.

very sorry to hear of your situation and I am wishing you well.

I sailed on the Star for 30 days in feb/March and visited the medical center twice (first time I have ever been down there in my 30 cruises) and found the staff to be very professional and helpful. They never asked for my insurance coverage (however my visit was not serious) all charges were charged directly to my on board account. And two copies were provided of the bill for my insurance and an extra just in case.

when I got home I submitted the bill to our provincial medical and they have reimbursed us completely.

I too have a year long insurance that covers medical (over and above what my provincial doesn't cover) and cancellation insurance. I have this extra coverage thru my credit card - as long as the voyage was charged to that card. I have used it once for a ding in a windshield of a rental car. And once when we had to cancel a cruise within a week.

Vickie

Not defending Princess' actions in rushing the OP off the ship, but I am wondering if it had to do with the scheduled departure time? From what I understand, departure time is pretty much cast in stone.

A friend on the Star on our HI cruise in mid-March was bitten by a spider while on a shore excursion, and it led to cellulitis (a large localized tissue infection). Her medical care onboard was outstanding, including daily IV infusions of antibiotics. She raved about the degree of caring and concern by the medical staff.

There were a number of medical emergencies during that cruise, resulting in passengers having to be evacuated to hospitals on various islands in HI. One even required that we turn the ship around and return to port.

I wonder if the person "Moving into the original posters cabin" had an issue in their individual cabin such as toilets not working, etc..." and Princess told them they had a cabin available and unfortunately the move happened before the OP was out of their cabin. It sounded like it was handled poorly but it is not like they picked up new passengers in Hawaii to fill the original posters cabin. They just shuffled some cabins around.

It sounded like it was handled poorly but it is not like they picked up new passengers in Hawaii to fill the original posters cabin. They just shuffled some cabins around.

This case was certainly handled very poorly. I am glad the OP feels better now. My husband's short experience with the doctor on the Sea Princess this February was not particularly good. Maybe other lines have a better grip on the quality of their medical teams.

We were on the Statendam's Panama Canal cruise last year when we happened to see a medical evacuation. The elderly gentleman was alert on a stretcher, his wife at the arm of a nurse who talked to her in calming tones and a sailor handled the luggage. At the end of the cruise, we met the couple who was given the evacuees' cabin. Their original cabin was noisy and hot, but the ship was fully booked. They knew then that an upgrade was only possible if someone left the ship.

Do you have a name of the company that offers the insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, my wife is worried that if we go, we will not be covered.

We did not cash out because we still had 10 days to go on our cruise and were not expecting the cruise to be over so soon.

I really loved to cruise and this was our 15th cruise, hopefully we will go again next year.

CSA, I just paid for our cruise in full the other day and TA said if I paid for insurance on the same day pre-existing conditions are covered. And we had to cancel a cruise about 3 years ago 2 days prior to departure and we that insurance back then and had no problem getting all our money back.

Very, very sorry for your experiences and sincerely hope this is just a fluke.

In all honesty this is the first time I have heard of this kind of experience on Princess from a medical emergency.

On the contrary I have heard nothing but very good comments on this subject. Because we are in or getting to this age bracket our ears perk up when this subject comes up. We followed Pam's ordeal very close because we wanted to learn about it and also because we have met Pam from a previous cruise, she is very nice and very creditable.We always take out insurance and Princess Insurance if for no other reason than we get the up grade free.

In retrospect and every thing is great in retrospect. In regard to vacating the cabin and ship maybe a call to passenger service supervisor or the Capt Circle rep might have helped. On your insurance once you called them they hopefully handled everything to your satisfaction and IMO Princess should have contacted them.

Hope all is well and please dont let this drop Princess needs to respond.

To those who find disbelief in all Princess' inappropriate handling of this medical situation because of having experienced just the opposite situation "years ago", the same can be said for many things in cruising that have changed, and not for the better, some drastically from those we knew of a few years ago.

I have to sadly agree with this. DH and I just returned from our 3rd cruise last month and while we still had a wonderful time, the service was of the lowest quality I had experienced, especially the Pursers desk.

That said, Pam, so sorry about your brother. Cruisdog, glad you are feeling better and I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. :( I find this really distressing.

I haven't had to use the medical facilities on Princess but my BIL did on a Celebrity ship.

Worst set of nurses, total lack of communication, they wouldn't fax the medical records to the travel insurance so that they could make arrangements to meet us at the port. We finally had to go to the hotel manager to get anything done.

They had Travelguard who was wonderful - it's all we buy now.

I've decided that if you need a bandaid, the medical center is probably fine. If it's something really serious, they're going to evacuate you. Anything in-between and you'd better cross your fingers.

Glad that you are ok.....

Robert,

This doesn't surprise me. The people in the medical centers are literally a bunch of quacks. I don't blame you for not sailing with them again. Have you considered suing them? You should. I am sure they "sold" your cabin when you got off the ship, not gave it away. What crappy customer service - you could do better with other cruise lines that actually care.

Archived