WOW not so WOW!

I booked my first Royal Cruise early - for two reasons. First to get a good rate and second to get my choice of rooms.

There was a WOW sale in May but our 2014 cruise had not come out yet.

Traditionally the WOW's are in June and September (so my diamond level cruise friend told me and I read here on CC as well). I know those are not set in stone but seemed to be the general rule.

So I booked in good faith, feeling like I got a good price (early). The price has not moved at all.

Imagine how not WOW'd I was when they announced a WOW sale for June. I am not allowed to take advantage of the sale. I feel that this ruling is prejudiced. Anyone already booked cannot cancel between June 5 - 13 and rebook the WOW sale - you will not be eligible.

In my opinion - this is prejudiced and bad business. If I were to cancel I would be forfeiting my choice of room at my own risk. I understand this.

What I don't understand is if I were to cancel my room - shouldn't I be treated like anyone else at that time?

According to RCCL's rules for the WOW sale - anyone who previously booked is alienated from the sale. Where is the business sense in that? To treat customers you already have as second class citizens????

The sad part is the room rate is still the same from day one - it hasn't moved. So technically this would be like an OBC for the $100 the WOW sale would give me.

If the price had moved up, then I could understand - but it hasn't.

Sorry for the rant - but this is ridiculous :mad:

Don't cancell.

Hold your booking. Book your WOW. (has to be a different date), wait a month, (if you can before loosing anyting) and cancell the previous booking.

There is nothing that I have read that doesn't allow you to do that.

Don't cancell.

Hold your booking. Book your WOW. (has to be a different date), wait a month, (if you can before loosing anyting) and cancell the previous booking.

There is nothing that I have read that doesn't allow you to do that.

If the OP does that, they may lose their original room, and I think that was one of the reasons they wanted to book early. It's possible that the room might still be available, but not a sure thing, and it's also not a sure bet that RCI would allow you to cancel one and transfer to that room.

If I cancel I would have to wait to rebook it wouldn't be during the wow sale so there is not point.

With the WOW I could have gotten 50% lower deposit and a $100 OBC.

$100 OBC may not be alot to some people - but to us it is.

Just saying that having never cruised before this leaves a sour taste in my mouth for sure. - bad business indeed!

Is this for the cruise you have booked in Feb 2014? My suggestion...forget about this wow sale, be happy about booking a cruise, and come summer/fall 2013, check for price drops. You might get a decent price drop.

Wow sale hasn't happened yet, I bet your cruise fare will increase before the 11th, they almost always go up prior to the sale.

Exactly. I was going to book a cruise within the next week or so because the price was so good. when I saw there was a WOW sale I made sure to book today, before the price goes up for the WOW.

$100 OBC may not be a lot to some people - but to us it is.

I agree that shipboard credit is nice. I've booked with two different internet cruise travel agencies, and they've both given me at least $200 shipboard credit, and in some cases, paid gratuities.

For our next cruises, I did not book during a WOW Sale so I do have to pay the complete deposit, though. I'm happy I booked when I did because I like the location of our cabin.

I get e-mails from Cruise Critic, which informs me about internet travel companies. Try not to be discouraged. We all learn from each cruise.

Can you ger stockholder OBC and the OBC thats offered by RCL during the WOW sale:confused: Thanks in advance

No...and you also cannot use Crown & Anchor coupons or Platinum or higher balcony discounts...

If you are griping about the cruise you have booked for 2014, you need to chill your heels! You have plenty of time to "shop" for price drops on your cruise! Use the time you have to WAIT and keep checking for price drops and save up the $100 you are complaining about that you would be having to save anyway!

I think it's just a chance you take. I think it is fair, You just have to decide whether cabin selection or the WOW perks matter more. I don't care as much about where my cabin is located but, being a single mom, love the reduced deposit and OBC that goes along with the WOW sale. Also, the TA i use usually offers additional perks during the wow sale. Either way, you take your chances. As others have said, check back EVERY SINGLE DAY for price drops. It is well worth it. Last cruise, there was a residential rate after i had been checking back for almost a year. I got to upgrade to a balcony for the same price as the ocean view i had reserved. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!

Yes we will have a blast - even if I have to drag you kicking and screaming into that disco:p

For others - I am a first time cruiser so this is all new to me. The clause in the wow sale that dis-allows you to cancel to take advantage of the sale is less than impressive to a new customer - thats all I can say.

I've booked our last three cruises on the day they became available and in every case the lowest price was the initial one. I've not only gotten the best price but my choice of cabin too (center hump). I would have paid significantly more by waiting for a WOW sale ... even when factoring in the OBC. Example ... paid $1199pp (before Plat discount) for a JS on AdOS last year (cabin 9318). The price today is $1649pp. Do the math.

I feel fortunate to be able to book and plan so far in advance and by doing so have saved myself a tremendous amount of money. I do the same for airfare. For the cruise mentioned above, I paid $515pp RT to SJU. Todays price is now $953pp (Delta).

My advice is to book as early as possible for the dates you anticipate being able to travel. Ignore the WOW sales. They are just not worth it IMHO.

You can always cancel if things don't work out.

Oh ... IMO the reduced deposit is a joke and nothing more than an ploy ... you will end up paying it all in the end anyway. No savings there either.

Archived