Bringing your own wine onboard

bobnjeff

I was looking at the FAQs on HALs website and noticed something I had not seen before. I usually bring my own wine on board, open it my cabin and often carry a glass to a show or dinner. HALs seems to not allow this though I have done it before. Is this new? Has anyone had any experience with this. How do they know where you got the glass of wine?

Thanks

You are able to bring as much wine onboard as you wish for drinking in your cabin.

If you take it to a public bar or lounge they charge a corkage of fee of $18 a bottle.

I am not sure how much they would charge for a glass of wine.

Maybe they would not charge but this is the sort of scenario that might make HAL change their policy on wine to that of most of the other cruise lines. Nowadays, most either do not allow it or charge for bringing it onboard.

........ and often carry a glass to a show or dinner. HALs seems to not allow this though I have done it before. Is this new? Has anyone had any experience with this. How do they know where you got the glass of wine?

Thanks

The glasses in the rooms are different than the glasses in bars and dining room, though I've never heard of a bartender or steward pointing that out and charging corkage to anyone who brought a filled glass from their cabin.

You are able to bring as much wine onboard as you wish for drinking in your cabin.

If you take it to a public bar or lounge they charge a corkage of fee of $18 a bottle.

I am not sure how much they would charge for a glass of wine.

Maybe they would not charge but this is the sort of scenario that might make HAL change their policy on wine to that of most of the other cruise lines. Nowadays, most either do not allow it or charge for bringing it onboard.

ditto:D:D The wine you bring on board is for consumption IN YOUR STATEROOM only. Hal's policy is very good. Dh and I buy their wine/drinks in public areas - or pay corkage in the MDR - we never take it from our stateroom to public areas.

The waiters and bar staff on HAL ships earn the vast majority of their income from gratuities, including the 15% gratuity added to bar beverage purchases and corkage fees. To deprive them of income by bringing a glass of wine from one's room to dinner in order to avoid paying a gratuity is ... what word to use and still be nice? -- inconsiderate IMO.

Abd the same goes for those of us who buy bottles of alcohol through HAL.

We have those drinks in our cabin. We would never think to take a drink from our cabin and go to the dining room or a lounge with it.

We do buy the Beverage Cards and use them for those lounge drinks and dining room drinks.

The glasses in the rooms are different than the glasses in bars and dining room, though I've never heard of a bartender or steward pointing that out and charging corkage to anyone who brought a filled glass from their cabin.

If they should ever start charging for taking a glass into the DR simply reuse one of the bar glasses over & over. Why pay them to drink your own wine.

Years ago when cruiselines charged a couple if dollars more than you would pay at home was one thing but now it is more often 2-3 times what I would pay at home so...

Several other people told this was what they did years ago on a Baltic cruise and I have done it since on on HAL, Celebrity and others without any problem. Hope it can continue that way.

This will eventually be a mute point. I'm sure Hal will soon fall in line with the rest of the fleet, and decide to sell passengers their products and make some money.

I'd love to ask an owner of a sports team ie Yankees, Green Bay Packers or

Los Angeles Lakers if they would like to give up their beverage sales and let fans bring their own.

This will eventually be a mute point. I'm sure Hal will soon fall in line with the rest of the fleet, and decide to sell passengers their products and make some money.

I'd love to ask an owner of a sports team ie Yankees, Green Bay Packers or

Los Angeles Lakers if they would like to give up their beverage sales and let fans bring their own.

That's why they invented the RumRunner.

When that day comes, you can rest assured that it may be a moot point on HAL, but it sure won't be a "mute" point on these boards.

There will be threads galore!

Not a frequent cruiser at all but if this happened, I'd be a free agent in choosing a cruise (the current policy is a major reason why I chose HAL for a TATL and avoid RCCI lines & Carnival like they were yellow flagged) and that French (or any other) freighter line will start looking mighty tempting. I wonder if HAL did this, they'll lose the wine drinkers like they would lose the nicotine addicts if they banned smoking.

I was looking at the FAQs on HALs website and noticed something I had not seen before. I usually bring my own wine on board, open it my cabin and often carry a glass to a show or dinner. HALs seems to not allow this though I have done it before. Is this new? Has anyone had any experience with this. How do they know where you got the glass of wine?

Thanks

No this is not new, you probably never read FAQs thoroughly. This has been Hal's policy for many years.

There is no way they know where your glass of wine comes from. Often we take our drinks from one venue to the next because we haven't finished them, we've never had any problem doing so.

Not a frequent cruiser at all but if this happened, I'd be a free agent in choosing a cruise (the current policy is a major reason why I chose HAL for a TATL and avoid RCCI lines & Carnival like they were yellow flagged) and that French (or any other) freighter line will start looking mighty tempting. I wonder if HAL did this, they'll lose the wine drinkers like they would lose the nicotine addicts if they banned smoking.

I suppose one could get on a Chiquita banana barge and sit atop 2 million pounds of bananas and slug two buck chuck till their hearts content.

Do they Sail out of Fort Lauderdale?

No this is not new, you probably never read FAQs thoroughly. This has been Hal's policy for many years.

There is no way they know where your glass of wine comes from. Often we take our drinks from one venue to the next because we haven't finished them, we've never had any problem doing so.

As long as you purchased wine or a drink in a bar or dining room you are free to take it from one venue to another. It's when you bring your own wine on board for room consumption only under the rules and then take it to a bar or dining room that you are breaking the rules. You are only supposed to purchase from HAL in a bar or restaurant. And the glasses stocked in your room are different than those poured in a bar or restaurant or at least used to be.

IMO the decision that HAL made to forego "profits" from wine sales is based on their wine list and desire to satisfy the tastes of their clients. We had the opportunity to compare HAL's with X's in back to back cruises in January (NA v. Solstice)

We took a case of wine on the NA, mostly older, upper end bottles that would sell for $70-$100 in a restaurant setting. The NA's wine list was very middle of the road with VERY young wines that could put up with the abuse of being on a moving ship but because of pricing would turnover very quickly. For us, the corkage fee was a perfect option that allowed us to pair great bottles of wine, not otherwise available, with excellent food. We took care of our Wine Stewards over and above their tiny fraction of the corkage fee.

Boarding the Solstice the next week, we were limited to 2 bottles. Again, we brought something really nice. Interestingly, their were multiple wine lists on the Solstice. They progressed in pricing (and not necessarily quality) through MDR, Tuscan Grill and Murano's. At the top end we felt like we were being robbed, literally, for wines that we could have bought for 25% of the cost on land. As we looked around the room, the number of tables having water or iced tea was noticeable. It was hard to accept paying a higher PP fee for the "pleasure" of dining there and then not being able to find a bottle of wine under $85.00.

I think HAL has opted to take a larger chunk of the middle of the road in wines and making it with volume, over trying to pick-off the high rollers with high priced, poorly cellared wines. I think it's a smart marketing decision that also takes the pressure off Wine Stewards to make high-end recommendations about wines with which they have little experience.

The waiters and bar staff on HAL ships earn the vast majority of their income from gratuities, including the 15% gratuity added to bar beverage purchases and corkage fees. To deprive them of income by bringing a glass of wine from one's room to dinner in order to avoid paying a gratuity is ... what word to use and still be nice? -- inconsiderate IMO.

I agree with you, but inconsidererate is too nice a word for those who do this! IMO these people are gauche!

If they should ever start charging for taking a glass into the DR simply reuse one of the bar glasses over & over. Why pay them to drink your own wine.

Because one that does this is stealing from both HAL & the Crew! :( Would you try to sneak a glass of wine into a Land based Restaurant?

In addition, you are taking advantage of their policy & causing a problem for those of us who are willing to drink our wine in our cabins, pay the corkage fee or purchase a beverage card for our glass of wine at dinner!

One of these days HAL will decide to put a stop to this thievery & not permit any of us to partake of this wonderful amenity, which many of us have come to enjoy!

Betty

Because one that does this is stealing from both HAL & the Crew! :( Would you try to sneak a glass of wine into a Land based Restaurant?

If I could I would.

In addition, you are taking advantage of their policy & causing a problem for those of us who are willing to drink our wine in our cabins, pay the corkage fee or purchase a beverage card for our glass of wine at dinner!

One of these days HAL will decide to put a stop to this thievery & not permit any of us to partake of this wonderful amenity, which many of us have come to enjoy!

Betty

They would probably lose more business that would be gained by that move but in the mean time take full advantage of it.

We feel fortunate that HAL and some other lines allow us to bring wine on board. HAL is very good with this and does not limit us.

We consume it on our balcony. We never take it to the MDR-not because of the corkage fee but our selection is usually comparable to a good house wine. It is easier for us to just order from the HAL list.

We would NOT, however, feel comfortable leaving our cabin with a glass of wine and taking it into a HAL food and beverage venue or another public space.

It seems to me that this practice is a good way to encourage HAL to cease permitting us to bring wine on board. We also respect HAL's right to generate revenue and profit in their public spaces.

They would probably lose more business that would be gained by that move but in the mean time take full advantage of it.

Who are they going to lose the business to?

All of the other lines don't let you bring alcohol.

Except Circle Line

IMO the decision that HAL made to forego "profits" from wine sales is based on their wine list and desire to satisfy the tastes of their clients. We had the opportunity to compare HAL's with X's in back to back cruises in January (NA v. Solstice)

We took a case of wine on the NA, mostly older, upper end bottles that would sell for $70-$100 in a restaurant setting. The NA's wine list was very middle of the road with VERY young wines that could put up with the abuse of being on a moving ship but because of pricing would turnover very quickly. For us, the corkage fee was a perfect option that allowed us to pair great bottles of wine, not otherwise available, with excellent food. We took care of our Wine Stewards over and above their tiny fraction of the corkage fee.

Boarding the Solstice the next week, we were limited to 2 bottles. Again, we brought something really nice. Interestingly, their were multiple wine lists on the Solstice. They progressed in pricing (and not necessarily quality) through MDR, Tuscan Grill and Murano's. At the top end we felt like we were being robbed, literally, for wines that we could have bought for 25% of the cost on land. As we looked around the room, the number of tables having water or iced tea was noticeable. It was hard to accept paying a higher PP fee for the "pleasure" of dining there and then not being able to find a bottle of wine under $85.00.

I think HAL has opted to take a larger chunk of the middle of the road in wines and making it with volume, over trying to pick-off the high rollers with high priced, poorly cellared wines. I think it's a smart marketing decision that also takes the pressure off Wine Stewards to make high-end recommendations about wines with which they have little experience.

Wow! You took the words right out of my mouth. We just got off the Maasdam and with the exception of the first night, bought our own wines enroute.

I posted in another thread about our terribly unpleasant dinner with our family group of 11...duly scheduled for the first night, and the disaster that ensued.

After all the aggravation of dividing us up into 3 tables, I was hard pressed to pick some wines. After a 20 minute wait for someone who had the title of a wine steward, I had to make a choice. When my wife and I dine, I don't even want to see the menu before I get and taste the wine I order or bring. With a group of people, their attention spans vary.

To make it easy, I picked a 3 bottle selection from their best package. Not only was the price usurious, but when he brought the wines all at room temperature, I had to have him chill them down to cellar temp.

Still waiting patiently, he now brought what he called wine glasses...huh?. I said I just ordered 3 bottles of overpriced wine and I want proper red wine glasses.

The first expression I got was a deer in the headlights. I then asked him to bring red wine glasses similar to those in Pinnacle.

Wait..wait..wait, and now some rather tall wine steward in a suit approaches the table. I knew he was special since he was the only one wearing a tastevin. Another blank expression. I now asked him for a proper glass...his answer was that the other glasses were proprietary to the other rooms and he could do nothing...as he walked away.

With the exception of some hi-end wines on the list..about $2000 a bottle and far too young to drink, the rest were quite ordinary and very overpriced. Cellar temp is not even in their vocabulary. As most restaurants do, their reds are served too warm and the whites way too cold.

Nuff for now as I prepare to open a lovely 2005 Amarone for me and My wife. Guaranteed to be good..

All of the other lines don't let you bring alcohol.

Except Circle Line

I though we were talking about wine. Anything else has to be smuggled anyway on all the cruise lines I know about and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I suppose one could get on a Chiquita banana barge and sit atop 2 million pounds of bananas and slug two buck chuck till their hearts content.

Banana boat? Is that part of the Dole fleet?

Do they Sail out of Fort Lauderdale?

For northerly TATL, Fos sur Mer in France (east side of the Rhone at its mouth) to New York (and maybe Boston of Philadelphia). CMA CGM serves a French wine included in the price of meals at lunch and dinner on the Coral (below) and Jamaica which ply this route. It's a French ship you know. ;) And what else you want is purchasable and drinkable on board at duty free prices (this goes for all the container liners). The German line (Hamburg Sued?) sailing the Hanjin Palermo sails for Montreal from the same port in France. Both run EUR 100 PPPD either single or double occupancy, and for an outside verandah cabin at leas 2x bigger than your standard cruise ship cabin.

There's a lot more freighter routes out there where you can sail as a passenger. I'm sure that there's one that calls in MIA if not FLL (they have a 80 day route, west coast N. Am. <=> Asia ==> Europe <== east coast N. America as well as route through the Panama canal).

Illustration.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=816&vpy=348&hovh=118&hovw=253&tx=140&ty=68&sig=116045413161673400879&ei=UQHVT-bKCIfi2QXe-bG0Dw&page=1&tbnh=92&tbnw=196&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:132

Above should be a picture of the Coral.

http://www.cma-cgm.com/ScriptLibrary/Download/Download.aspx?file=/Images/ContentManagement/ProductsServices/Tourism/Documents/cargo-cruises-information.pdf

Airlines, other leisurely activities. I'm using a cruise ship main as a form of transport. Granted that there're not too many like me but lose a just few of us at the margin and you'll lose $$$ per sailing (much as in how a very few % of sold or empty seats makes or loses a flight for an airline). If HAL limits how much wine I can bring aboard, I'll fly home from Europe and they'll lose a minimum of $2,200 in revenues and service charges (essentially a wage subsidy for HAL) for that crossing (and I'd say at least a further $300 in wine sales). If I really wanted to cruise, maybe I'll even spring for Seabourn or RSSC though that's unlikely.

Archived