Why can people LINK to external pages instead?

I am sorry, but I just need to make a thread about this: I think it would be great if people started to link to external pages for photos. Certain members repeat their photos over and over and over and over and over again, and that gets actually a bit boring. I understand that you are proud of your photo skills, but it is enough with publishing them one time. If people is asking for photos of a stateroom, harbour etc etc, then it will be a lot easier to just post a link to Flickr, Photobucket etc.

..and then someone might ask: What about new members of the forum, how can they find and see MY photos if they want to?

..answer: It is a quite good search function in this board:)

I really haven't seen repeat postings of the same image, at least not enough to be an issue. Perhaps you can point one out?

As long as the photos are presented at a reasonable size and are in context with the subject of the thread, I fail to see the issue. For me, it is much easier to view the image inline rather than go to some cluttered Flickr or Photobucket page and dodge all the ads.

Just my 2¢...

Now we are up to 4¢ on this subject!

Dave

OK, .04$............Even a fancier way of showing cents. Speaking for myself, I like the ease of viewing photos here without having to click to another web site. Putting up with advertisements and pop-ups that are on many of the free photo sharing sites are a major pain to me. Also, I try to be careful when I click on links posted on discussion boards like this one. You never know what you may accidently find.

Larry

I think the problem is with someone quoting a post with photo's and you get post ofter post with the same photos.

framer

Likely what the OP was referring to since in all the years I've been on here, I've never really seen examples of someone repeating an image post over and over and no examples were offered. I always try to delete the photo links in quotes to cut down on the scroll-wheel mileage but I don't always remember.

Dave

Follow Europe-board for a while, especially Italy and Northern Europe & Baltic part, it it especially one that keep on posting his photos again and again.. Kinda boring..

That clears it up!

This forum is sort of separate area geared towards actual photographers-who-cruise as opposed to a cruisers-who-photograph (as well as C-W-Ps aspiring to become P-W-Cs :)). Most of the threads here in response to questions and are intended to be informative, instructive and even inspiring to folks who want to improve their photography and share their experiences. Threads here are usually subject-specific and usually consist of posts and responses with one or two illustrative images displayed in-line. Your comment was confusing since it would be unusual for a post to contain string after string of photos. Postings about someone's trip to here or there where many images are involved are encouraged to and usually do point to sharing sites.

Dave

Exactly - that clears it up a bunch. I agree that I rarely or never saw someone on this particular board posting the same photos over and over again - we photography enthusiasts rarely linger on one photo for very long because we're always out shooting more! If this is occuring on some of the line-specific or location-specific boards, that makes more sense, as you may have someone less of a photo-enthusiast and more of a board enthusiast, who might get a little overzealous about sharing their photo or trip.

As Dave said, most of us share photos here, not even only about cruises, which are usually recently taken, rarely repeated, and sometimes for purposes of photography discussion. For the most part, those referencing a trip they took will post some photos from that trip in an original thread, then usually link to the rest of their photos on a gallery...and once they've posted their trip report or thread and linked their galleries, they rarely ever post those photos again.

I see it once in a rare blue moon here but very frequently in the main cruise line forums. Someone will post 6 extra-large photos of their cruise, a subsequent poster will reply by including all 6 pics again with a comment along the lines of "Great pictures!"

I think it would be great if people started to link to external pages for photos. Certain members repeat their photos over and over and over and over and over again, and that gets actually a bit boring. I understand that you are proud of your photo skills, but it is enough with publishing them one time. If people is asking for photos of a stateroom, harbour etc etc, then it will be a lot easier to just post a link to Flickr, Photobucket etc.

I think I see where you're coming from. In many cases I find it very useful to have a photo right there, but you have a point about publishing links. I think it could be useful to post an excerpt from the album, perhaps, at a smaller size, (you know, one or two photos) and then a link to the rest of the album, where you can view them full size.

That said, I found the photos a recent cruiser posted about her visit to Paradise Cove to be SOOO helpful. I had posted a thread about needing advice about visiting Freeport, and an admin or mod merged my thread into hers. I just got sucked in to the thread, scrolling to photo after beautiful photo. Let's just say I think I found my shore excursion in Freeport! :D (I think the thread I was merged into was originally her review or report or whatever about her visit to Freeport, so of course lots of photos are called for!)

I guess it's all about context. Sometimes lots of photos are good; sometimes they just get in the way.

I see it once in a rare blue moon here but very frequently in the main cruise line forums. Someone will post 6 extra-large photos of their cruise, a subsequent poster will reply by including all 6 pics again with a comment along the lines of "Great pictures!"

I see that on forums of every sort, even those catering to the very technologically savvy! I think sometimes people don't think about editing their quote, or realize that you can.

It's always helpful to excerpt the quoted material to only include the salient bits. (Especially if it's a really long quote…) Of course, you should be careful that you don't change the person's original intent or tone by doing so. But as long as you stick to that, editing can be very helpful to others reading the thread. After all, the little blue arrow after the username will take you directly to the original post!

Of course, if it's the next page and you have a comment or inquiry regarding a particular photo, it REALLY helps to include the original in question in the quote! :D

Ah, I think I know who that is now... I find it interesting that he feels the need to share, but you know what, I also find in many of those threads people who post thanks for the images and gets them excited about their upcoming trip.

Like everything in the net take the good, with the bad, and this isn't bad, just a few extra bits... no harm done is it?

Follow Europe-board for a while, especially Italy and Northern Europe & Baltic part, it it especially one that keep on posting his photos again and again.. Kinda boring..

no harm done is it?

Of course no harm done. It is rarely that something people post here on CC that harm, but it is a bit tiresome.

And it is really cute when some people that has been on one or two cruises somewhere, acts like experts about that area, even when they are from another part of the world. Cute, no harm.

Well I feel better now, I thought it was only me that felt that way. Have wanted to comment many times but never have as I have no desire to hurt someone's feelings.

Well I feel better now, I thought it was only me that felt that way. Have wanted to comment many times but never have as I have no desire to hurt someone's feelings.

...and I thought it was only me. But I couldnt hold it to myself anymore. I am sorry.. Great to know that I am not alone..:)

ROFL he is just too proud of them pictures from his D3100 :D

Ok, now It is getting really silly! The same pictures 15 minutes between, in two different threads. I would call it photo spamming...

Archived