Triumph or Elation

cruzinlisa

I am looking at a cruise next summer with DH and our daughter who will be 2 1/2 years old at that time. I want to go a specific week in July when baby sitter is on vacation. Because the cost is higher that time of year we are looking at a 4-5 day on a smaller ship. I would like to leave from NOLA or Galveston so we can drive to save airfare. These two look to have the same intinerary. NOLA is closer and cheaper so that gets it a point also. However, I believe that Triumph has the 2.0 upgrades. I guess my question is, are the 2.0 upgrades worth an extra 300 dollars (total) and miles round trip?

I have been on Imagination, Valor, and Conquest but DH only on the two larger ships. DD won't care much about any of the amenities, unless they have a better kiddie pool assuming she is potty trained by then (which I hope will be the case). DH and I would probably like extra food/bar options.

Not sure what you mean by extra food options as neither has a steakhouse or other dining options other than the MDR, pizzeria, deli, Lido grill/buffet and room service

We were on the Elation a few weeks ago. While we love the Fantasy Class, the rooms on her were not all updated. They were clean but still had old style TV's, life jacket box in the corner and old/worn pink decor. It was still a fun ship, though

I've been on the Elation and Triumph. I'd pick the Triumph. Easy choice. More of everything. More pools, more deck areas, big screen to watch movies at night, more jacuzzis, more balcony cabins, etc, etc. I was on the Triumph before the Elation. While I enjoyed the cruise on the Elation, it WAS somewhat underwhelming after the Triumph.

I've been on the Elation and Triumph. I'd pick the Triumph. Easy choice. More of everything. More pools, more deck areas, big screen to watch movies at night, more jacuzzis, more balcony cabins, etc, etc. I was on the Triumph before the Elation. While I enjoyed the cruise on the Elation, it WAS somewhat underwhelming after the Triumph.

I totally agree! I have been on both. Elation was fine (going on her again in October) but Triumph seems "grander" in appearance, amenities, etc.

We were on the Elation a few weeks ago. While we love the Fantasy Class, the rooms on her were not all updated. They were clean but still had old style TV's, life jacket box in the corner and old/worn pink decor. It was still a fun ship, though

Agree. That life jacket box in the corner makes the room uncomfortable imo. Been on the Elation once and the Triumph twice. I'd vote for the Triumph.

Not sure what you mean by extra food options as neither has a steakhouse or other dining options other than the MDR, pizzeria, deli, Lido grill/buffet and room service

I Meant with the 2.0 upgrades. But apparently they do not get the 2.0 upgrades until 2014.

Sorry... not to thread jack, buuut I'm thinking about booking on Triumph and I was looking at the deck plans. Does it not have a promenade like Royal Caribbean? I've seen pictures of an atrium but it looks a lot smaller...?

The only other cruise we've taken was on Allure of the Seas so I'm a little nervous about trying a "smaller ship"! I do have a bunch of cruise credit for Carnival that needs to get used and a vacation is a vacation :)

Hey Herfnerd, glad you had a good time on the Elation. Which did you like better, the Elation or the Fascination?

Also, from what I can tell, neither the Elation nor the Triumph has the waterworks slides but it does look like at least the Triumph has a stand alone slide that doesn't go into the pool and the one on the Elation it only has the slides that go into the pool. Is this correct?

I have a cruise on Elation in October, first time on this ship. However, I've sailed other "smaller" ships (I never can remember "classes") including Holiday, Ecstasy and Fantasy. And, I've cruised on Triumph. For me, I think I'll always choose a smaller ship. I wasn't impressed with all the "extra's" on Triumph. I prefer less crowds and easier to navigate. Heck, I kinda even like the orange cube in the corner and I could care less about "decor"!

That said, I have an annual cruise and we only sail from New Orleans and Mobile, before Carnival left. So, we sail whatever ship is there!!

For the extra money, I'd also stay a night in New Orleans and eat some beignets!

Hey Herfnerd, glad you had a good time on the Elation. Which did you like better, the Elation or the Fascination?

Also, from what I can tell, neither the Elation nor the Triumph has the waterworks slides but it does look like at least the Triumph has a stand alone slide that doesn't go into the pool and the one on the Elation it only has the slides that go into the pool. Is this correct?

Hey jbanana - long time no speak! To be honest, I liked the Fascination much better - the rooms were all updated and I did like the Waterworks. Preferred the itinerary of the Elation, though

The Elation's slide does go into the pool.

Sorry... not to thread jack, buuut I'm thinking about booking on Triumph and I was looking at the deck plans. Does it not have a promenade like Royal Caribbean? I've seen pictures of an atrium but it looks a lot smaller...?

:)

RCL promenades as far as I know are only on RCL no other lines, including Carnival. Its their own design.

The only difference to me is on Carnival its more spread out, but the stores are still entered from inside areas, etc.. same amount of inside stores and whatever.. of course compared to Allure and Oasis they will both be smaller, but Triumph is almost Conquest size.. way bigger than Fantasy class.

Ive been on both Triumph and Elation and liked both for different things.

Triumph still doesnt have Mongolian BBQ dissapointingly.

We only sailed on one Fantasy Class ship, the Elation. I know a lot of folks love them, but we would never sail on another one. The lack of outdoor space had us dumbfounded. To get outside from a lower deck it is quite a distance to travel. We've been on many ships on many lines and this was unlike any of them.

Plus we've pretty much switched to booking balconies. The Fantasy Class has almost none, so the few they have are expensive.

I know this sounds very dramatic, but it would have to be almost free before we would go back on one. Not kidding :)

I think I'd vote for the Triumph ;)

I really like Triumph.

It is my favorite ship so far.

But Elation is okay.

And Elation is a really pretty ship.

If I had to choose between Triumph in Galveston and Elation in New Orleans for $300 less I would choose Elation.

To me, considering the price difference and having to go to Galveston would make the choice easy.

RCL promenades as far as I know are only on RCL no other lines, including Carnival. Its their own design.

The only difference to me is on Carnival its more spread out, but the stores are still entered from inside areas, etc.. same amount of inside stores and whatever.. of course compared to Allure and Oasis they will both be smaller, but Triumph is almost Conquest size.. way bigger than Fantasy class.

Ive been on both Triumph and Elation and liked both for different things.

Triumph still doesnt have Mongolian BBQ dissapointingly.

Thank you! I appreciate the info :)

Archived