Will I hate ocean view on Majesty?

We are cruising the week of Thanksgiving, so the cruise is $575 pp for an oceanview. It is better this way than applying $500 to a 7 night which has outrageous prices that week right now. JR suite that week is $1200+ pp for a 4 night and that is just too expensive to justify. We are cruising with family, so changing the cruise dates is not an option. We would never do RCCL again, but that is what the family likes and since it is free, we thought why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really such a first world problem it's hard to take seriously, but since it appears you do not really want to pay to upgrade - why not just go, focus on your family & enjoy the days, regardless of what your room is. Isn't that better than fretting about only having an ocean view?

This is really such a first world problem it's hard to take seriously, but since it appears you do not really want to pay to upgrade - why not just go, focus on your family & enjoy the days, regardless of what your room is. Isn't that better than fretting about only having an ocean view?

Exactly. Either go or don't go. It sounds like youre looking to be disappointed, but don't want your family to go without you. Your choice to make...

Cruise Critic really really needs a LIKE button.

This is going to be a FREE cruise! And for not for more than 4 days. Take the outside cabin, and knowing that it is FREE....enjoy yourself!

I know we will have a good time, I am not worried about enjoying the cruise at all. It is just going to be so different from previous cruising experiences that I was hoping to hear from others who have had a similar experience. I think I am more worried about my family, who are sharing a small Ocean View cabin with three people, and have only ever cruised with balconies on much larger ships. I want everyone to have a good time, and I am hoping that preparing them for the experience, they won't focus on the cabin size and smaller ship as much. This is the first family vacation since I was in high school, and my parents have high expectations for it!

We are cruising the week of Thanksgiving, so the cruise is $575 pp for an oceanview. It is better this way than applying $500 to a 7 night which has outrageous prices that week right now. JR suite that week is $1200+ pp for a 4 night and that is just too expensive to justify. We are cruising with family, so changing the cruise dates is not an option. We would never do RCCL again, but that is what the family likes and since it is free, we thought why not.

Actually – I believe the “free 4 night cruise on points” has a max benefit of $1000 for the lowest available OV ( non-guarantee) cabin. (At least it did when we used the benefit last year). You note your sailing is $ 575 pp ( 1150 total) so the benefit may not pay for the entire fare. Using the benefit for a free cruise is generally “worth more” than the $500 reduction in price for other cruises.

Will your travel plans allow you to sail the same week on the Monarch? These cabins seem to priced lower for the same dates.

The Monarch is basically the same as ther Majesty so you will face the same Balcony vs OV etc. issues

Good luck

Actually – I believe the “free 4 night cruise on points” has a max benefit of $1000 for the lowest available OV ( non-guarantee) cabin. (At least it did when we used the benefit last year). You note your sailing is $ 575 pp ( 1150 total) so the benefit may not pay for the entire fare. Using the benefit for a free cruise is generally “worth more” than the $500 reduction in price for other cruises.

Will your travel plans allow you to sail the same week on the Monarch? These cabins seem to priced lower for the same dates.

The Monarch is basically the same as ther Majesty so you will face the same Balcony vs OV etc. issues

Good luck

When I talked with the customer service rep about booking this cruise using our points, she saw no limits or restrictions on it. I called the point redemption line directly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off Majesty today... we had 8032 and 8034 and had absolutely no obstruction. Perfect view out of both cabins. If you looked way up you could see the bottom of the lifeboats... looking down you saw a deck and the beautiful ocean!

• 1 month later...

I just checked, and today an OV starts at $349 and the SO is only $369. So, $575pp seems awfully high for that Nov sailing. If prices have come down, time to check on the upgrade to an SO category!

I know it is none of our business, but why would you cancel the card? It is a no fee card. Just put it aside and use your new card. If your points are about to expire, I would suggest looking at one of the other 4 night iteneraries and booking one of them.

The only reason I ask, the daughter of a friend thought she was doing the right thing and cancelled all of her extra charge cards. The remaining banks then reduced the limits on her open cards because of the change in her available credit. I know it seems counterintuitive, but that is the reality of modern banking.

Also, double check before booking to confirm you can use your points on a Thanksgiving cruise. Some holidays are excluded. If you have any flexibility you can book Liberty out of Ft Lauderdale or Jewel out of Tampa.

Also, if cabins are available you can pay the difference to upgrade.

DH and I have a free 4 night Ocean view cabin on the Majesty for Thanksgiving. It is free because of our RCCL Visa points. We have given up sailing RCCL for Celebrity, but wanted to use up our points before canceling the card. We Always, Always, Always get a balcony (or AQ) on Celebrity, and even past RCCL cruises. We hope that the free part will outweigh the small ship, not preferred line, and OV room. We figure we won't be on the ship or in our room much, but we have to spend a lot of money for flights, so we don't want to be too disappointed!

Anyone had a similar experience?

We are going on the Monarch in Sept. We always book a balcony cabin except for our 2 adventure cruises (Antarctica and Galapagos). We will be staying in an Outside on the Monarch because I thought the price for the Junior Suite on a 3 night was too crazy high.

I am going this cruise so that I earn Diamond this year, I was going to be 2 days short. The cruise was cheap and I can drive to Port Canaveral in a day.

I will let you know what we think of it when we get back. I figure I can deal with the small room for 3 nights.

I know it is none of our business, but why would you cancel the card? It is a no fee card. Just put it aside and use your new card. If your points are about to expire, I would suggest looking at one of the other 4 night iteneraries and booking one of them.

The only reason I ask, the daughter of a friend thought she was doing the right thing and cancelled all of her extra charge cards. The remaining banks then reduced the limits on her open cards because of the change in her available credit. I know it seems counterintuitive, but that is the reality of modern banking.

Also, double check before booking to confirm you can use your points on a Thanksgiving cruise. Some holidays are excluded. If you have any flexibility you can book Liberty out of Ft Lauderdale or Jewel out of Tampa.

Also, if cabins are available you can pay the difference to upgrade.

Canceling the BoA card because NoA is annoying me with their recent political moves. Not worried about our credit score, rating or available credit. When we bought our car, our credit score was 813 and I am 27.... No complaints and no debt other than the house!

We are going on the Monarch in Sept. We always book a balcony cabin except for our 2 adventure cruises (Antarctica and Galapagos). We will be staying in an Outside on the Monarch because I thought the price for the Junior Suite on a 3 night was too crazy high.

I am going this cruise so that I earn Diamond this year, I was going to be 2 days short. The cruise was cheap and I can drive to Port Canaveral in a day.

I will let you know what we think of it when we get back. I figure I can deal with the small room for 3 nights.

Thanks, would love to hear your thoughts.

Our first cruise as in a JS on Monarch. Our 2nd was an OV on Majesty. The room was small but even with a connecting door and a large (6'2" 240 lb) hubby we did not kill each other.:rolleyes: Since we were in a port each day we really only used the room to sleep and shower. Didn't really miss the balcony on this itinerary. Chances are you will either 1) be in the ports each day or 2) have no trouble finding a nice quiet place to sit up on deck while everyone else is in port. Go with a "glass half full" attitide and enjoy the free cruise :p

I'm posting this response from some months back, but the prices for the November 19th cruise isn't $575 pp for an oceanview cabin. The Superior Oceanview is currently $369 pp. The extra 35 square feet between a regular oceanview and Superior oceanview will make a huge difference.

As long as you go on this cruise to be with your family and enjoy the time together, you will have a wonderful time. If you get on the Majesty and start trying to compare it to a Celebrity Cruise experience you will be disappointed. We sail both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and love both lines. Whether you get a standard oceanview cabin or a superior oceanview cabin, hosting a cocktail party in your cabin will be out of the question. :D

You will love the ports and the friendly staff. There are some quiet places on the ship, away from the pool that are outside and very comfortable. If you go on this cruise with the right attitude, you will have a much much better time than you are expecting.

Steve

We generally only sail in a Balcony or JS but took a 3 night cruise in June on Majesty -my husband was in Miami at a conference so I tagged along and we took a 3 day cruise. We had an oceanview (Deck 9) and it was fine. On a short cruise you barely have time for sitting on a balcony. We were pleasantly surprised by the shape the ship was in given its age and really enjoyed our mini cruise. Go ahead with the cruise -you'll be fine

I was faced with this decision a month or so back and ultimately decided to go with the Liberty 4 day out of FLL....I looked hard at the Majesty because it's a much better itinerary. But on the plus side, since it's a port intensive itinerary, how much time will you really spend in the room other than maybe getting ready for dinner and sleeping? So I say go and ENJOY!

Archived