Will I hate ocean view on Majesty?

DH and I have a free 4 night Ocean view cabin on the Majesty for Thanksgiving. It is free because of our RCCL Visa points. We have given up sailing RCCL for Celebrity, but wanted to use up our points before canceling the card. We Always, Always, Always get a balcony (or AQ) on Celebrity, and even past RCCL cruises. We hope that the free part will outweigh the small ship, not preferred line, and OV room. We figure we won't be on the ship or in our room much, but we have to spend a lot of money for flights, so we don't want to be too disappointed!

Anyone had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 4 nights, you'll make do....the cabin is very small...this is an older ship and the cabins are teeny. Assuming you don't spend lots of time in your cabin (and you certainly won't want to on this ship), you'll have a good time and plenty of other places to be on the ship.

Considering it's not really costing you anything....I don't think disappointment will be what you need to worry about!

DH and I have a free 4 night Ocean view cabin on the Majesty for Thanksgiving. It is free because of our RCCL Visa points. We have given up sailing RCCL for Celebrity, but wanted to use up our points before canceling the card. We Always, Always, Always get a balcony (or AQ) on Celebrity, and even past RCCL cruises. We hope that the free part will outweigh the small ship, not preferred line, and OV room. We figure we won't be on the ship or in our room much, but we have to spend a lot of money for flights, so we don't want to be too disappointed!

Just a regular OV or is it a Superior Oceanview on deck 9? The deck 9 SOV's are a little bigger and can make a big difference.

Just a regular OV or is it a Superior Oceanview on deck 9? The deck 9 SOV's are a little bigger and can make a big difference.

If I am not mistaken... The OV's on 8 are mostly obstructed view due to the lifeboats. We stayed in 8060 and had a window between two of the boats, so we were able to out.

If I am not mistaken... The OV's on 8 are mostly obstructed view due to the lifeboats. We stayed in 8060 and had a window between two of the boats, so we were able to out.

Our current preference for both the Majesty and Monarch are the deck 5 OV cabins, especially the few tucked behind the stores on the centrum. 6 was good, but the track above could have some noise. By tucking behind the stores, the hallway traffic is virtually none. They are really great.

Having cruised on all but the Freedom Class ships (which we fix later this year), normally getting balconies, I totally know what we are getting on a Sovereign class ship. Yea, maybe I have rose collored glasses, but we love them- they are all different, and deliver something on their own.

Again, if you go into the cruise thinking you'll hate it, that's a pretty easy goal to meet.

Hearing your comments, I'm not sure

Since you sail Celebrity ( already a step up), and sail in a Celebrity AQ ( no equivalent on the Majesty). I honestly suspect you will be disappointed. If you, as you say, always always always get a balcony you will likely not be happy with the Majesty and DEFINITELY not in an OV cabin.

The “free points” Majesty cruise will give you the cheapest OV cabin ( that will likely be a deck 8 obstructed or deck 2 - porthole)

The ship is older, smaller than most Celebrity ships, has no specialty restaurants and OV cabins are VERY small. (122 Sq. Ft.)

Perhaps you can use your points for a 4 night Jewel from Tampa. The Jewel is a newer, nicer ship. Still – you will likely want to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

Will you be happy sailing on an older ship, in a tiny cabin with no balcony?

M

I stayed in an inside cabin on the majesty last month and it was fine. It is very small but I dont care because all I do in the room is sleep and shower. It was a small ship but I enjoyed the cruise. Your in a different port everyday so the small ship isnt a big deal.

Can you pay the difference and move up to a deck 9 SO? I highly recommend it. There is a big difference between the OV and SO rooms.

Too much money being a holiday week and only a 4 night.

My first thought itmthat, if you don't have a compelling reason to cancel the card, hang on to it and wait until you can book something you actually want to do. Does it have an annual fee?

We normally cruise in a JS, but have sailed in an SO on Monarch a few times, and I've sailed solo in a regular OV. They are well laid out cabins and even we Clumsy Carps managed not to kill each other. So if sitting out on your balcony isn't critical to your enjoyment, you'll be fine. Otherwise don't go.:)

My first thought itmthat, if you don't have a compelling reason to cancel the card, hang on to it and wait until you can book something you actually want to do. Does it have an annual fee?

We normally cruise in a JS, but have sailed in an SO on Monarch a few times, and I've sailed solo in a regular OV. They are well laid out cabins and even we Clumsy Carps managed not to kill each other. So if sitting out on your balcony isn't critical to your enjoyment, you'll be fine. Otherwise don't go.:)

There is also the option of keeping the card, waiting until Enchantment replaces Monarch at PC and then there be the ability to get a balcony without having to do a suite or JS.

We always have balconies on a 7 night cruise, but we have no issue with the OV on Majesty for our 3 nighters. We always book Deck 8 and watch the pricing. If it goes down enough, we upgrade to Deck 9 as there is more room in the cabin. But if not, we are fine with Deck 8.

Can you pay the difference and move up to a deck 9 SO? I highly recommend it. There is a big difference between the OV and SO rooms.

This is precisely what we did with our free Visa cruise. The price difference isn't all that much for Deck 9.

This is precisely what we did with our free Visa cruise. The price difference isn't all that much for Deck 9.

That category is sold out for our week or we would do that.

I can assure you, if you plan on hating it, you will. That being said, we book whatever we can afford at the time. Sometimes it is a suite, for short cruises sometimes it's an inside. I've never had a bad time in an inside or ocean view. Go enjoy it and know its free... Or better yet go on Liberty and upgrade to a balcony, isnt she doing 4 nights then?

Hi,

You will be sailing in a small cabin on a small, old (but still nice) ship.

At least the price is right. The crew was fantastic...at least

the 2 times I have sailed Majesty.

Hope you have a good time.

We prefer Liberty but enjoy Coco Cays....so Majesty it is.

:cool:

Are you cashing in 50,000 points? Looking at the rewards menu, that's the level for a free 3-4 night cruise for two in a minimum oceanview room. I've cashed in 50,000 a couple of times, but for $500 off ANY cruise. So, I book the cruise I want, in the category I want (balcony, for example), and they take $500 bucks off (as well as the discount if you're Platinum, Diamond, Diamond Plus, etc). I've been on Majesty a couple of times, and can usually get an oceanview for 200-300 per person, depending upon time of year. So, really, that's about an equal value for your points.

That category is sold out for our week or we would do that.

Are you sure? I just double-checked and I see lots of "Superior Ocean View Staterooms" available for your November 19, 2012, date.

I also did a quick check and the often preferred 9500/9502/9504 (port) and 9000/9002/9004 (starboard) cabins are available. These few cabins don't have obstructed views.

Are you sure? I just double-checked and I see lots of "Superior Ocean View Staterooms" available for your November 19, 2012, date.

I also did a quick check and the often preferred 9500/9502/9504 (port) and 9000/9002/9004 (starboard) cabins are available. These few cabins don't have obstructed views.

I checked, too. The price different from the "minimum oceanview" to the SO "superior oceanview" is $80 per person.

We may be in the same situation as you. We have two old cruise credits, and they won't give us our balcony discount with them, so we haven't used them. I sailed in a JS on Majesty last year, and I really liked the large solid wooden coffee table instead of those rinky dink glass ones. We did a three day cruise, and had all port days. And we had four port days when we did our first cruise back in 1996. So, you'll be away from the ship all four days, then back for dinner then evening activities. The only downside we had was not being able to get into our rooms right away, so we had to drag our luggage to the Windjammer. On a good note, one of the best embarkations we've had. Another idea is to keep using your card for everyday expenses, then wait until you get a higher value cruise.

My husband and I took our first cruise on Majesty back in 1999. We weren't even engaged yet :D

Anyway, we had an oceanview cabin and it was absolutely fine. Loved looking out the window and don't really remember spending any significant amount of time in the cabin. We basically just slept there and had an awesome time. Just go and have fun...stop worrying about the cabin!

Archived