Alaska questions

lawyerrose

I've been looking into either an Alaska or Hawaii cruise. I'm running into many questions with Alaska. I didn't realize that an Alaskan CRUISE was different than the CRUISE/TOUR thing. I thought they all had the land stuff. That was my first surprise. Actually, it makes sense.

If I'm going to go to Alaska, would y'all recommend that I do it with a cruise/tour combo? It seems like that would get me the most out of the trip. But that means I'd be flying into one city and out of another. Doesn't that make the flight costs prohibitive? Does HAL provide cheaper rates, or can I book an "open jaw" flight and still get a decent fare? I've never really ran into this before, since I live in Florida and have always (except once) simply sailed from MIA or FLL.

Is it worth it to get a balcony cabin when the weather is so cold? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me. :)

If there was ever a time that I wanted a balcony it was in Alaska.

Others may disagree, but we got a lot of use out of the large window and glass door and we used the balcony on glacier days and to view the Inside

Straight.

Weather in Alaska varies and some trips it's fairly warm.

Cruise tour/cruise? Do you like bus tours? If so, consider it. If not, just cruise.

Airfare is what it is; which is seldom good. We just count it as part of the costs, and sometimes it's quite high.

If you can go to Alaska - GO!

If there was ever a time that I wanted a balcony it was in Alaska.

Others may disagree, but we got a lot of use out of the large window and glass door and we used the balcony on glacier days and to view the Inside

Straight.

Weather in Alaska varies and some trips it's fairly warm.

Cruise tour/cruise? Do you like bus tours? If so, consider it. If not, just cruise.

Airfare is what it is; which is seldom good. We just count it as part of the costs, and sometimes it's quite high.

If you can go to Alaska - GO!

I've noticed that the ''bus tour' should be taken prior to the cruise -- it is intensive and 'long' take this into consideration when you make your decision.

We love our verandahs for all itineraries.

In Alaska we are out there watching as we approach a port -- as we are leaving -- at the glaciers -- sometimes it is warm enough to have cocktails out there in the afternoon.

Many times we have had warm temperatures in Alaska. The first time we were there in July -- they were having a heat wave. Temperatures were in the 80's -- Mendenhall Glacier was melting and flooding onto the roads. Parts of Skagway had experienced some flooding.

Then other times it has been rainy and chilly -- hard to predict what the weather will be.

Many years ago we did do the land tour first -- saw many things you won't see from a ship. Then we did the cruise -- got a chance to rest up from the long hours on the bus and train rides. You have to decide if you want to spend many hours riding from one place to another.

I've been looking into either an Alaska or Hawaii cruise. I'm running into many questions with Alaska. I didn't realize that an Alaskan CRUISE was different than the CRUISE/TOUR thing. I thought they all had the land stuff. That was my first surprise. Actually, it makes sense.

If I'm going to go to Alaska, would y'all recommend that I do it with a cruise/tour combo? It seems like that would get me the most out of the trip. But that means I'd be flying into one city and out of another. Doesn't that make the flight costs prohibitive? Does HAL provide cheaper rates, or can I book an "open jaw" flight and still get a decent fare? I've never really ran into this before, since I live in Florida and have always (except once) simply sailed from MIA or FLL.

Is it worth it to get a balcony cabin when the weather is so cold? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me. :)

We did the cruise on our first trip. We decided before the end of that trip that we needed to do the cruise/tour. We just returned from our cruise/tour.

We booked the whole trip (cruise/tour/airline) through HAL. I kept an eye on the airfares as we waited for the trip. The cost of airfare seemed to stay right around what we paid for it through HAL.

A balcony or not, is really up to you. On our first cruise we booked a partially obstructed view, but got upgraded to a verandah. On our most recent cruise we booked an oceanview. Generally, when you want to see things (like Glacier Bay) you're going to get a better vantage point on the upper/open public decks then you'll get from your verandah. That said, a verandah is nice if you need to be in your room for a while, you can pop out on the verandah for a bit to look at stuff.

:)

WARNING: In my experience, Alaska is addictive. In 2007, we booked our "once in a lifetime Alaska cruise," but this summer we will be returning to Alaska for the sixth visit.

For DH and me, we would not be interested in the land tour portion of the cruise/tour packages. We have flown up to rent a car for the past two summers, and we have seen the "rushed" experiences of the bus riders (since we also were staying at HAL and Princess hotels). There's a tight window with limited time to experience the greatness that is Alaska.

If it is truly the ONE time you'll go, I wouldn't miss Denali, but... I've given you my warning of the pending addiction.

I think having a balcony in Alaska, is a must. Your own private area to view the glaciers, the inside passage, etc.. As trvlcrzy said, Alaska is addictive. We're going back this summer for our 7th cruise to Alaska. Never have done the land part, so I can't give you any thoughts on it.

If you have never been to Alaska, I would consider a cruise tour. When we started cruising again in 2002, our first to Alaska was a cruise tour that started in Fairbanks, then a train ride, then Denali Park, and finally Copper River and boarded the ship in Seward. Yes, it was on buses and at times tedious but we saw the countryside which you don't see solely on a ship.

Ever since then, we do the cruise only at least once a summer to get out of the Tucson heat. Most Alaskan cruises do the southeast portion only, at least the 7 day ones.

WE've done Alaska 5 times, now (w/ 7 cruises, as we've done 2 "back-to-back"). Our favorite was one in hich we cruised Inside passage from Vancouver to Seward (w/verandah - a must at least once) then flew from Anchorage to Deadhorse (well above the Arctic Circle). 5 day bus trip south to Fairbanks, train to Denali for a 2-day stay, train to Anchorage. We got a car, and drove slowly back to Seward (overnight along the way) then cruised back to Vancouver.

The cost of the second cruise (OV cabin) plus R/T Vancouver flights was less than the open jaw San Francisco-Vancouver Anchorage-SFO flights!

We don't think a balcony is a "must" in AK at all. It is often too cold to sit outside for very long as we would on a warm-weather cruise. We use our AK cabin just for sleeping/changing/bathing etc, and when we are in scenic areas there are plenty of public places to get good views of whichever side of the ship the view is on --- which may not be the side where your balcony is!

If you choose a cruise/tour on an R or S class ship you can take a cabin on the Lower Promenade (outside or inside) and quickly get outdoors on whichever side you want.

Funny - my better half and I just had this conversation last night (don't even remember how I got on the topic...). Anyway, I personally do not like the idea of an inside cabin or just "view" cabin. Maybe it has partially to do with my drowning phobia, not sure. :eek: (Long Story!) Regardless.... we use our balcony a lot - Hawaii or Alaska and we understand that minds differ on whether it is worth the investment. I personally could never book anything but a cabin with a balcony. We truly enjoy it.

As for the weather. I did not think it was that cold. It was about 48 degrees when we were there in late May/early June and it felt good to me. :)

It is absolutely worth it in my opinion. It rains a lot in Alaska and having a covered balcony was so nice. It pretty much rained the entire time we were in Glacier Bay and it was cold. While we did spend some time out on the upper decks and on the bow, it was pretty uncomfortable out in the cold rain. It was nice to get out of the rain on our balcony and being just a step away from a nice warm cabin. I'm certain I would not have enjoyed the day nearly as much without a balcony.

As for the cold, it is what it is. Dress appropriately and it won't be a problem. Hawaii is beautiful, but Alaska is beautifuler. :)

If I'm going to go to Alaska, would y'all recommend that I do it with a cruise/tour combo? It seems like that would get me the most out of the trip. But that means I'd be flying into one city and out of another. Doesn't that make the flight costs prohibitive? Does HAL provide cheaper rates, or can I book an "open jaw" flight and still get a decent fare? I've never really ran into this before, since I live in Florida and have always (e

Fares to/from Alaska are expensive. So expensive that the one-way cruises that dump you off or have you embark in/near Anchorage aren't selling well. You're seeing, at leas in the early season, two back-to-back one-way cruises selling for about the same or even less than a one week roundtrip cruise.

You've given me lots to think about. Maybe that's the answer to the airfare issue; to do a cruise/tour one way and come back on a 7 day cruise. That way I can fly to/from the same city. I really would like to see Denali - I've heard so many people talk about it.

I love my balcony cabins! It's good to hear that they aren't a waste on an Alaska cruise. Thanks!! I was surprised how many people think that doing just the cruise part is just as good (or better) than the cruise tour thingy.

Now you got me all fired up!! I booked last time directly through HAL and though that was fine, I've heard so much about how a good TA can give good deals and perks, I'd like to try that this time.

We will be leaving on our first cruise/tour in a little over a week. We have done the 7 day round trip cruise on Holland America four times and last year did the 14 Day Explorer Cruise on the Amsterdam, which I would highly recommend. The 14 day cruise allowed us to visit ports we had not yet seen and 14 days seemed just about right. We are excited for our upcoming cruise/tour and also because, this time for the first time, we have booked a verandah.

We will be leaving on our first cruise/tour in a little over a week. We have done the 7 day round trip cruise on Holland America four times and last year did the 14 Day Explorer Cruise on the Amsterdam, which I would highly recommend. The 14 day cruise allowed us to visit ports we had not yet seen and 14 days seemed just about right. We are excited for our upcoming cruise/tour and also because, this time for the first time, we have booked a verandah.

I'd love to hear about your cruise/tour when you get back! Sounds lovely.

Archived