Escape completely

framer

Wow! Which month was that? Since we are going in May, I've been kinda curious about how cold it will be. If this pic is later in the season, not sure how we'll keep warm in May. Great pic though!:D

Wow! Which month was that? Since we are going in May, I've been kinda curious about how cold it will be. If this pic is later in the season, not sure how we'll keep warm in May. Great pic though!:D

We experienced this along with ice/snow at the end of July! :eek:

You just never know. Layers layers layers.

Sorry, I could resist posting this. It's the dear wife and sister watching the Hubbard Glacier.

:D

escape.jpg

This was pretty much what folks were wearing last week in the Tracy Arm fjord; Sea Princess.

You should enter send this picture and title to Princess and see if they used it for one of their "Escape Completely" e-mails they send you every so often lol. I think not. Hilarious...I made my DH get up from his chair and come and look at this picture. You made my evening...thank you!!!

This was May 27, 2012 Sapphire Princess.

framer

This was May 27, 2012 Sapphire Princess.

framer

Great picture. And...it appears it was taken on the Sapphire's promenade deck! The Sapphire has the wider promenade deck with padded wooden lounge chairs ~ perfect for glacier viewing. :)

Love the Sapphire. :)

I live in a northern city, Edmonton. I have been to Skagway, Alaska but arrived overland from the Yukon, Canada. It too was May and had two cruise ships in dock. Skagway is at the end of a fjord and the geography means the wind does not generally get down to water level and soothe cold water and ice cools the local air. (You will feel wind, but weather stations on the tops of the fjords tell the full story.)

If the weather is good, you MAY not need such clothes in the sun. However, pack them as you will not know until the day. There are more places in the world where you have to dress to cope with heat. This is not one of them.

I love that picture. I had to show it to my DH ... it is his first time to Alaska very soon (he was born and raised in TX). Last time I was in Alaska it was July and I froze!!! Many family members had balconies that they could only use for 10 minutes at a time... they would then run back in to warm up!

We are going to buy many layers of clothing for this trip! :D

I had mentioned on another thread that I really wished I had brought along my down ski jacket just for the Tracy Arm detour. Other than that day, my long silk underwear, long sleeved T-shirt, sweater, wool cap and insulated jacket was fine. Actually in Haines, once it stopped raining and the sun came out, I took my jacket off.

LMAO!! That is the exact image my DH has of an Alaskan cruise, which is why we still haven't gone yet!

Exactly as my wife pictures it as well. Finally convinced her to go though, now I just have to keep this picture out of her site!!

I love that picture. I had to show it to my DH ... it is his first time to Alaska very soon (he was born and raised in TX). Last time I was in Alaska it was July and I froze!!! Many family members had balconies that they could only use for 10 minutes at a time... they would then run back in to warm up!

We are going to buy many layers of clothing for this trip! :D

It's not always that bad! You can get lucky and have nice weather, like we did 3 years ago.

6253_1212213782960_1116868_n.jpg

We enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast on our Tracy Arm sailing day and it was so nice out. That's a very lightweight jacket I'm wearing, and only a short-sleeved t-shirt underneath. I'm only "bundled up" this much because it was cool near the glaciers. I wore shorts most of the week.

Of course, if you are from Texas, you might not think it's "shorts weather" at 60-70F, but you shouldn't freeze to death either.

Admittedly, it can be quite cold in May and September, but if you are sailing mid-June to mid-August, it shouldn't be too bad.

If a picture says a thousand words, let this one define why some of we Canadians will never sail to Alaska. Snow capped everything we get all winter long and the one thousand and one word is long.

If a picture says a thousand words, let this one define why some of we Canadians will never sail to Alaska. Snow capped everything we get all winter long and the one thousand and one word is long.

Exactly why we haven't brought ourselves to book one yet. My idea of a cruise is pools and shorts not winter clothes. We get to wear those 8 months a year (this year STILL and it's mid June) so spending my holiday in winter like conditions not so much:)

FYI, we live in Northern West Canada and our weather patterns are often close to those of BC, Yukon and Alaska. This has been a particularily cold and wet spring.

Can someone explain what is funny about the picture?

They are in an area surrounded by GLACIERS, so cold weather gear is appropriate (wear layers to adjust to current conditions).

Also on our Alaska cruise they were signing out those blankets up by the pool so one didn't need to borrow from MUTS on previous days. They were wonderful on our balcony.

Two years ago July, we were in shorts and tees in Juneau and Skagway. On the glacier days we were in our jammies, and I did have to throw on a robe...

The weather in Alaska is a mysterious entity!:)

Great photo!!!We live in snow and ice, hence the name Snowman. We did the Glacier Bay in Sept. and it was 50 degrees and people were dressed like that. People thought we were wierd because we were in shorts and T shirts, that is childs play here. Of course the hot coco laced with Kalula helped.

Can someone explain what is funny about the picture?

They are in an area surrounded by GLACIERS, so cold weather gear is appropriate (wear layers to adjust to current conditions).

Yes - glaciers are big blocks of ice - take cold wind and blow it across a big block of ice and it gets cold!

Archived