Keeping up with current events?

While I know that a cruise is an escape from our daily lives, I enjoy staying up to date with current events. I won't be getting the data plan as I think it is too expensive and unreliable from what I've read here on these board. So, my question is, what is the best way to get the news/sports? Is there CNN/Fox/MSNBC on the tv? How about ESPN?

Every cruiseline I have been on has had the same horrible TV stations.

The news is usually limited to CNN International which takes long frequent breaks to show tempertures worldwide.

Other than that there is about 20 channel for the cruiseline advertising...

While I know that a cruise is an escape from our daily lives, I enjoy staying up to date with current events. I won't be getting the data plan as I think it is too expensive and unreliable from what I've read here on these board. So, my question is, what is the best way to get the news/sports? Is there CNN/Fox/MSNBC on the tv? How about ESPN?

Yes to Fox and CNN, MSNBC, not sure don't remember it. I normally try to avoid these things on vacation, but I'll admit on my last Allure cruise word spread around the ship that Bin laden was dead. This caused me to spend 4 to 5 hours of my week in my cabin watching TV.

Yes to Fox and CNN, MSNBC, not sure don't remember it. I normally try to avoid these things on vacation, but I'll admit on my last Allure cruise word spread around the ship that Bin laden was dead. This caused me to spend 4 to 5 hours of my week in my cabin watching TV.

I can imagine the sounds of jubilation that echoed throughout the ship, not to mention the spike in drinks that were ordered!

Do they have a short printed news digest? I don't recall from my first RCI cruise, but they did on Carnival.

On our Enchantment cruise in May, the question was raised at the Captain's Corner talk about the printed daily news digest. Seems this has been discontinued due to RCCL going towards iPads forthcoming in staterooms. Sounding like the Compass also may be a thing of the past. I will say this rather quietly, but getting a paper print Compass may be something they would charge for in the future. Just a thought... I have no evidence of this happening. It just seems many businesses are using "economics" as an opportunity to implement practices they've considered in the past, but knew would never fly. OMG...I do think I'm sounding like my parents in their later years! YIKES!:eek::)

I will say, using an iPad is fine with me. Not at all challenged or intimidated by it. Had one for work until I retired and then had to return it. :( Not sure everyone who cruises would feel the same. I do look forward to leaving for dinner and returning later in the evening to a Compass and discovering the next day's events. Guess we'll see.

On the Indie they have 2 daily British papers for sale at the coffee shop, the Times and the Sun.

these are to be read at no cost in the concierge lounges ,providing some selfish person does not remove them.

We love waiting for the paperboy to bring them in about coffee time!

If you set your RSS reader to only download text (not images), you can quickly get a lot of news feeds on your computer/tablet/phone. It doesn't cost very much, and you'll get much more information than the talking heads will tell you.

Archived