Newbie to Seabourn - live from the Quest

taxman1

Yesterday was Vallata. Having been to this port before we hired a taxi to take us directly to the glass factory for new treasures. We were somewhat disappointed this time around as there were no out of the ordinary objects. On our last voyage we purchased a magnificient decanter shaped "fish bowl" filled with various fish and under water sea life. However, we did manage to pick up a few items from the animal kingdom.

Around the glass factory are various shops and crafts wherby we proceeded to the silver shop where my wife purchased a bracelet some years ago. She was disappointed that the same style was not available. Not to worry, the driver proceeded to take us to 3 other jewelry shops whereby a matching necklace was found (EUR 35). Both the bracelet and necklace will be sported shortly.

Upon arriving back onboard we proceeded to the Collonade for a fantastic lunch. Again, fresh seaford from the local market. I had my first "hamburger" of the trip and must say unlike any other burger (except for the one Kobe burger at a resort in Maui) I have experienced. The wife and son fell in love with the fries, which I must admit are devine.

From the Collonade it was another afternoon lazying around the pool. It was here my son had his first SB moment. After ordering a virgin Pina Colada from the pool bar he was directed by the staff to proceed back into the pool. He and mom were sitting on the ledge of the pool deck where the water level was set just above your thigh (perfect for sunning). As the staff approached the deck my wife told my son to get up and receive his drink. The staff told him to stay in the water and he would bring the drink to my son -- socks and shoes right into the water. Well, the other 25 or so people around the pool thought they might want a cocktail, so Christoper proceed to make two separate runs back to the bar for frozen delights. Yes, another SB moment.

Dinner in the Restaurant last night was superb as usual. The orange roughy was enjoyed by the wife and son while I melted over the veal medallions (more the size of very petite filets). The red served last night was a Sicilian wine which was perfect with the veal. While I don't consider myself a wine snob, I do enjoy a good bottle. I must say I have not found the wines served to be "undrinkable" and most often very enjoyable. If one so required, the ports on this voyage present many opportunities to purchase a bottle to suit anyone's taste buds.

Our first rock the boat party was a blast. The band was fantastic and we met some wonderful cruise mates. The frozen coffee delight being served on deck provided a very restful night sleep.

Today will be snorkeling at the blue lagoon in Mgarr. Another hot day on tap, should be flirting around the 90 F point.

Be back shortly ...

So glad to see that you are not posting a list of the activities and a menu from every day of your trip.

I am so sad that he's not!:eek:..but hey I understand he's on vacation and wouldn't blame him for not wasting his time on posting rather then spending it with his Family.

So glad to see that you are not posting a list of the activities and a menu from every day of your trip.

I enjoy reading the menus and activities, especially when daily chores beckon and a girl can dream over the Hoover! :p

And ST does it so well,it would be rather pointless for everyone to repeat the same thing on their thread!

Taxman1 - I am enjoying your posts, and can only imagine your son's delight with his Piña Colada "in the pool"!

I note you said your son was 15, and that there are other children on board - where are you from as our children are very much still at school! :)

Thanks Taxman1,

Really enjoying your tales of what you are doing in the ports and some of the fun times on the ship.

Also for confirming that it is wise to have a private guide for when we visit Pompeii in August.

Thanks again.

Julie

Just came back from the blue lagoon - the water color is out of this world. I have been to Belize, Cozumel, the Caymans and several sites around Hawaii and must say I was blown away by the color and how crystal clear. We had a great day on the tour (first one via SB). While this was a snorkel excursion there were not many fish to be seen, however, several jellies were present. One woman was stung in the arm. These critters were not very large and she was walking about just fine, but did have a good sized mark on her inner arm. My son really enjoyed the ice cream boat which joined our tour in the middle of the blue lagoon to serve ice treats.

ST does such a wonderful job with the menu postings I could not compete. In addition, I "chicken peck" the keyboard. I would still be typing day two of the menu and activities. I will say my sone is very excited about tonight's menu at the R because seabass is being offered.

We enjoyed lunch today in our cabin due to our tour leaving at 12:15. The three cheeseburgers with extra fries were just what the DR. Ordered. Not only are the burgers devine, but always delivered hot. Another well done to SB.

To respond to Fairborne (I believe it was you) - we are from upstate NY (Albany region). My son is in a private school and typically breaks for summer around June 10-12 time frame. This is nice because we can depart for vacation before all schools have dismissed for summer and avoid the summer crowds. The school day typically lasts longer than the public schools which allows for an early dismissal.

Here is the info for Joe Banana Limos

Giovanni Guida is the managing director (Joe)

Tel +39 3332221211

http://Www.joebananalimos.net

The tour for Pompei and Amalfi Coast/Positano was Eur 270. Lallo was our driver and was a doll. The price for the private guide in Pompei was another Eur 120 (and worth every penny). Lallo arranged for Gino early morning when he picked us up. I would suggesting asking up front in advance because I got really lucky.

We have yet to see any other entertainers other than the one show. Maybe tonight.

Until tomorrow ...

Hi Taxman1

I rememberd as soon as I read your note that of course yes private schools sometimes finish up earlier ... That must make it much nicer to be able to avoid the main school hols.

I'm with your son on the Sea Bass ... But I promise I won't wax lyrical about it like certain other sea creatures that I'm rather partial to .. Which by the way have you tried yet??? :D

Thank you for sharing and those fries .... Have you discovered Miss MartitaB's famous onion rings yet???? :D

Taxman1. I am love, love, loving your posts. They read more like a journal of your activities, which of course is what I like most about Cruise Critic posts. I feel I am right on that ship, traveling along with you. Gives me a vicarious pleasure while waiting for my next SB cruise. Those hamburgers, those french fries...mmmmmmmm. Reminds me of the entries a former poster used to write.

Taxman1. I am love, love, loving your posts. They read more like a journal of your activities, which of course is what I like most about Cruise Critic posts. I feel I am right on that ship, traveling along with you. Gives me a vicarious pleasure while waiting for my next SB cruise. Those hamburgers, those french fries...mmmmmmmm. Reminds me of the entries a former poster used to write.

Would that be a former poster who was bounced for trying to circumvent the TA rules and now holds roost with said TA on another site?

I like things from both styles of travel reports. I miss seeing the menus that ST posts as well as the activities. While I can't avail myself of them as I'm not on the cruise it does give the reader a good idea of what to expect on the cruise. I also like reading about peoples personal opinions of service, staff and excursions like the OP (taxman1) and the aforementioned former poster write. In my ideal world everyone that cruised would write reports that were a combination of both styles as well as a lot of beautiful pictures.:D

Ultimately it is the authors vacation and expecting them to turn it into a near full time job is more than a tad unfair.

Now the OP needs to get out and try the onion rings the next time he/they have burgers and let me know how they compare to the fries ;)

Taxman, thank you for the live updates!! We leave in just about a month and will be bringing our teenagers on the Spirit out of Venice. My kids are not really looking to "hang out" with other teens, but it is nice to know that they may not be the only ones on the voyage.

We visited Taormina, Lipari and Malta on the Legend last November and your are bringing back wonderful memories.

Can't wait to hear where you stop next!!

Today was Trapani, Sicily. We elected for another SB tour to beautiful village of Erice on top of the mountain overlooking the peninsula which houses the city of Trapani. We enjoyed the tour. The views were outstanding. We shopped for sea salt, olive paste, sauce and several local sweets. They are noted for their cannoli - :).

We had a visitor today in the harbor after docking - the Legend is in town. And here comes my wife's SB moment ...

On the ride back from our tour a fellow cruiser mentioned to us the possibility to visit the legend while here in port. As we were walking to the cabin to drop off our wares we met up with our MD, Marco. I inquired with him about arranging a possible tour of the legend. He suggested I speak with one of the representatives in SB Square. My inquiry at SB Square was met with -- no available spots are remaining. When I mentioned my disappointment to Marco during lunch (again -- fabulous; pasta today) in the Colonade he said he was so sorry. Within 10 minutes he came back to the table to tell me to be at the gangway of the Legend at a certain time for our tour. Bravo Marco!

Today is another hot day in Sicily. Our son is opting out of the Legend tour for an afternoon at the pool (after piano practice in the Club). We are very excited to see one of the smaller sisters and just met the CD of the Legend here on the Quest, David. As we were talking he had at least 8 pp come along and still a hug from him. He is well liked amongst SB travelers and in our short meet and greet I can see why. Thank you Tammy for the introduction!

Fairbourne -- I have yet to enjoy your "little" critters, but did see them offered several times on the the Patio Grill menu. Where do I find the Onion Rings? Bread sticks, then fries, now I need to conquer the onion rings.

A couple of ship facts -- we have 444 pax onboard with 40 under 21. You would never know this ship has that many pax onboard and you seldom see the "under 21" crowd. Caviar by the pool during sail away I have been told.

Will give an update on the Legend later...

There is another musical virtuoso from California, who not only played in supper clubs (those were the days) but composed film scores, particularly the AA winning 'AliceDoesn'tLive Here Anymore.' He and his wife are great Seabourn fans. He would play in the Lounge at 10 and we would sit in wonder at his non-stop playing of the music from the 50's and 40's. I understand that he cruises but stopped playing because his hearing has changed.

(I lived in Scotia for many years, then Utica for 2) Glad to be rid of those winters!

Today was Trapani, Sicily. We elected for another SB tour to beautiful village of Erice on top of the mountain overlooking the peninsula which houses the city of Trapani. We enjoyed the tour. The views were outstanding. We shopped for sea salt, olive paste, sauce and several local sweets. They are noted for their cannoli - :).

We had a visitor today in the harbor after docking - the Legend is in town. And here comes my wife's SB moment ...

On the ride back from our tour a fellow cruiser mentioned to us the possibility to visit the legend while here in port. As we were walking to the cabin to drop off our wares we met up with our MD, Marco. I inquired with him about arranging a possible tour of the legend. He suggested I speak with one of the representatives in SB Square. My inquiry at SB Square was met with -- no available spots are remaining. When I mentioned my disappointment to Marco during lunch (again -- fabulous; pasta today) in the Colonade he said he was so sorry. Within 10 minutes he came back to the table to tell me to be at the gangway of the Legend at a certain time for our tour. Bravo Marco!

Today is another hot day in Sicily. Our son is opting out of the Legend tour for an afternoon at the pool (after piano practice in the Club). We are very excited to see one of the smaller sisters and just met the CD of the Legend here on the Quest, David. As we were talking he had at least 8 pp come along and still a hug from him. He is well liked amongst SB travelers and in our short meet and greet I can see why. Thank you Tammy for the introduction!

Fairbourne -- I have yet to enjoy your "little" critters, but did see them offered several times on the the Patio Grill menu. Where do I find the Onion Rings? Bread sticks, then fries, now I need to conquer the onion rings.

A couple of ship facts -- we have 444 pax onboard with 40 under 21. You would never know this ship has that many pax onboard and you seldom see the "under 21" crowd. Caviar by the pool during sail away I have been told.

Will give an update on the Legend later...

Taxman1; you need to speak to the "Fryman" in the galley or ask the Maitre'd or Food and Beverage Manager to hook you up with the request...they are DELICIOUS!;)

Taxman

So glad you got the chance to check out the Legend. Having just disembarked last month, I can tell you, I for one, was very impressed with her, AND with David, the current CD. We had the pleasure of dining with him on a couple of occasions and he and the assistant CD hosted a very fun trivia game as well.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your voyage. I never knew French fries could be so addictive! What are they putting on those things? :p

David E is great. We were with him several years ago when he was the Asst to CD Jan Stearman. I thought he would make a great CD, but he pooh poohed the idea. Well, I was right. He showed up on our recent Lengend cruise as the CD. Yes, he was great.

We enjoyed the sail away party on the pool deck -- too mamy mojitos'. The cavair fans were abound around the pool during our sail away. My son enjoyed a long discussion with a retired baseball player while sittting in the pool.

The Legend was adorable! The pax were extremely friendly and very open. Some thought we were on the better vessel upon learning we were from the Quest. Others preferred the intimacy offered by the Legend (and after touring her I can understand why some feel that way). If the itinerary was right we might book the smaller sisters, but without our son. He would climb the walls on the small sisters based on pool size and deck layouts.

Dinner in the Restaurant was fabulous as usual this evening. Dorado was the fish offering. The wine tonight was good, but my wife asked for last night's SA wine and was immediately satisfied.

Tomorrow is a sea day and I am sure something will come about which will provide a a good story. Well, off to bed as today has been another wonderful day. Well, maybe we might fit in the show this evening. until tomorrow ...

I believe I heard once that David E is the longest serving employee with Seabourn? We have sailed with him several times and he is wonderful. I wish I was onboard and could listen to your son during his practice sessions. That is the part of Seabourns entertainment that I enjoy the most, the musicians. We have had some fantastic pianists, violinists and flautists. What did you think of The Legend?

We started our day at SB Square with caffe latte's and some sweets. My son of course went for the chocolate croissant and skim milk. The fruit danish were delicious.

From SB Square we went off to a bridge tour with Tammy and Kieran. The tour was wonderful. We have been on three our bridge tours and I must say this was the most informative and hands-on experience. We were on the bridge for just about an hour with plenty of photo opportunities. The staff on the bridge could not have been more friendly and patient with all the questions. Need I say yet again -- Well Done SB!

It is now off to the galley market and then sun, sun, sun. Another gorgeous day to be enjoyed on this magnificient ship.

Will be back shortly ...

Archived