How are these prices fair !

CruiseImage

Why do we in the UK pay so much more for our cruises? Its outrageous !

I am already booked on the TA on the Reflection for April 2013 and having followed a number of threads recently noticed people were talking about price drops.

I have just (i.e. 2230hrs in the UK) compared the UK price of this cruise alongside the US price, and absolutely shocked to see such a vast difference.

It's not just the odd £50 or so, it several £100's

For instance the AQ cabin on the UK site is £1335 and US it's $1299

Thats a staggering £550 per person cheaper to purchase in the US. :eek::eek:

RFTA%20prices.jpg?psid=1

C'mon Celebrity - if you're going to drop the prices then play fair and give us all a chance.

The problem might be that you are looking for prices to ever be fair, in the sense of the same price for all. There are times when people who live in one USstate get a discounted price, there are times when people over 55 pay less than others, there are times when military personnel get a break. The same room, if booked by someone from California vs. someone from Florida might be different prices, so why should it not be true for different countries as well. There are marketing strategies at work, and "fairness" or "equality" are not part of the system.

I'm really not sure what the rationale is for charging hirer prices to UK passengers. You are right it does seem unfair.

I know in the past there was some discussion that uK passengers took offense to the automatic gratuity and some actually tried to get a refund after purchasing for the pre-paid gratuity. So now maybe the cruise lines are like- fine, we will charge more since uK passengers don't tip.

There are a few issues such as VAT tax (which does not exist in the USA) and certain EU consumer rules (that favor the consumer) that add to the cost. But its still hard to understand the huge price differences. One Australian friend uses a Canadian address (belongs to a friend) to get North American prices from cruise lines.

Hank

The problem might be that you are looking for prices to ever be fair, in the sense of the same price for all. There are times when people who live in one USstate get a discounted price, there are times when people over 55 pay less than others, there are times when military personnel get a break. The same room, if booked by someone from California vs. someone from Florida might be different prices, so why should it not be true for different countries as well. There are marketing strategies at work, and "fairness" or "equality" are not part of the system.

Thanks for your views, and totally understand the strategies in place that affect different parts of the world, my "gripe" so to speak, is why do the prices have to be so far apart.

I'm ex military (UK) and we don't get that discount here either, in fact I'm pushed to find any discounts we get on this side of the pond at all.

I'm fully aware the UK travel agrents get a 15% margin to play with to give to a potential customer for a new cruise booking discount, but thats it for us.

There's certainly nothing like the US "residency discount" some states have ,in the UK I'm aware of. So i suppose I just feel a little shot at from all angles to pay above and beyond anybody else to purchase the same product.

I'm really not sure what the rationale is for charging hirer prices to UK passengers. You are right it does seem unfair.

I know in the past there was some discussion that uK passengers took offense to the automatic gratuity and some actually tried to get a refund after purchasing for the pre-paid gratuity. So now maybe the cruise lines are like- fine, we will charge more since uK passengers don't tip.

Those prices quoted above are before the added taxes and any other charges on top of that.

I understand the automatic pre paid gratuity issue came about for the very issue you mention. "Brits don't pay tips"

It got to the point where crew on ships based in the UK were walking out and refusing to work as they knew it would be for virtually nothing compared to colleagues on other ships around the world.

I'm always a tipper, and a heavy one at that, with sometimes paying 3x the going rate. I have no issue with gratuity payments,

I just can't see how the prices above could and do go on without being challenged.

Good points about the taxes, be they VAT or otherwise. To see how close the actual prices are, one would have to do "dummy" bookings, one in the US with Select Dining chosen (to make sure that the tips are included in the final price) and one in the UK, all the way through to where the final prices are figured, and even then, it might not be a true comparison. We don't know, for instance if port charges might vary for passengers coming from different counties. I've always assumed that the ports charge their port taxes per passenger without any consideration of where the passenger is from, but don't know that for sure. It might be possible, just as a for instance, for Gibraltar to charge a lesser port fee to Commonwealth residents, or for Argentina to charge a higher port fees to British passengers. So it may never be entirely possible to see if two people in two different places are paying identical fares or if the taxes and fees are responsible for the differences, or the currency conversion, or maybe even something else entirely!

Those prices quoted above are before the added taxes and any other charges on top of that.

I understand the automatic pre paid gratuity issue came about for the very issue you mention. "Brits don't pay tips"

It got to the point where crew on ships based in the UK were walking out and refusing to work as they knew it would be for virtually nothing compared to colleagues on other ships around the world.

I'm always a tipper, and a heavy one at that, with sometimes paying 3x the going rate. I have no issue with gratuity payments,

I just can't see how the prices above could and do go on without being challenged.

For sure it can be frustrating. We have been able to take advantage of some of the discounts offered over here in US, i.e. a State discount for living in GA. Could not tell you the rationale, but I am sure they have an algorithm that they use based on number of cabins still available so many days prior to sailing.

Good news, I hope for you, the Olympics are in London this summer. When here in Atlanta in 1996, we had a great time!

I am already booked on the TA on the Reflection for April 2013 and having followed a number of threads recently noticed people were talking about price drops.

I have just (i.e. 2230hrs in the UK) compared the UK price of this cruise alongside the US price, and absolutely shocked to see such a vast difference.

Thats a staggering £550 per person cheaper to purchase in the US. :eek::eek:

RFTA%20prices.jpg?psid=1

C'mon Celebrity - if you're going to drop the prices then play fair and give us all a chance.

I agree with you - that is RIDICULOUS.

I work with someone who says, "Fair is where you get corn dogs." A more Texas version of life is not fair. Travel companies frequently often cut fares into smaller buckets and offer incentives to some groups but not others. It's never fun to be on the short end of that stick. If I were you, I wouldn't think it fair either.

Can you confirm whether the UK price includes VAT (which is typically included in the purchase price) whereas sales tax in the US is always included after the purchase price? It also might be that the price as quoted in the UK is inclusive of tips to address UK cultural sensitivity toward the tipping structure. Finally, consumer protections that you get in the UK are likely to come at a cost, but that much?

I have read here on CC that it is possible to book through a US travel agent and get US prices. That would come at the loss of the UK travel protections and make things like printing luggage tags impossible. I have heard, but not confirmed, that it does not violate Celebrity's rules to do that.

Good luck!

And the prices are even higher if you are in Australia. Believe me. We got a quote and they were $500 higher again than England. Totally ridiculous and really annoying. Mummsie

Totally agree with your comments. Perhaps we could say: It's not fair, it's business! Those responsible for setting the rates look at the data and make decisions based on market conditions as they see them. A few weeks ago there was a thread discussing a great deal only available in Great Britain, so you never know.

It's the same for Australians. We pay a LOT more for cruises purchased in Aus that via the US. There has been such a stink caused here because more and more of us were purchasing overseas so the cruise companies have tried to block us from making those o'seas bookings. If the cruise company in question has an Australian office we have been blocked from making bookings via another country.

We can't book P&O, Princess or RCI through an overseas TA. I got away with my Celebrity booking via my US TA (but I did need to have a US postal address, which I do).

I was on an NCL Med cruise in 2010 and I paid the same (via my US TA) for a 2 bed, 2bath Courtyard Villa on a private level with our own pool, spa, gym, butler, concierge etc etc as other Aussies onboard paid for a BB category balcony cabin via an Aussie TA. It's disgusting.

A few things to note about uk cruise prices.

1 - There is no VAT on cruise prices. Of course the sales operations incur costs and VAT, but as a business it is reclaimed so has little net effect. This might be the same for US sales taxes.

2 - port taxes and fees are always included in the price quoted for uk. I understand these are additional for US bookings. If I am correct about US pricing this is significant.

3 - The UK gratuity situation is not as I have seen described on CC a few times. It is only mandatory for Select dining (just like US). Trad dining gives the option to pre-pay (just like US). The only difference is that pre-pay is the UK default. it can be de-selected and is therefore optional (just like US) and so is not in the headline cruise price (just like US).

The offers and discounts/OBC seem much better in US but the consumer protection is not all 1-way. Cancel without loss of deposit is not available here, but then price drops are possible beyond final payment.

There will be price differences, but often small.

Once onboard there is also a different spending pattern so pricing may be used to attract people who historically spend more on the ship.

1 - There is no VAT on cruise prices. Of course the sales operations incur costs and VAT, but as a business it is reclaimed so has little net effect. This might be the same for US sales taxes.

2 - port taxes and fees are always included in the price quoted for uk. I understand these are additional for US bookings. If I am correct about US pricing this is significant.

3 - The UK gratuity situation is not as I have seen described on CC a few times. It is only mandatory for Select dining (just like US). Trad dining gives the option to pre-pay (just like US). The only difference is that pre-pay is the UK default. it can be de-selected and is therefore optional (just like US) and so is not in the headline cruise price (just like US).

The offers and discounts/OBC seem much better in US but the consumer protection is not all 1-way. Cancel without loss of deposit is not available here, but then price drops are possible beyond final payment.

Once onboard there is also a different spending pattern so pricing may be used to attract people who historically spend more on the ship.

Thanks for this helpful explanation. The cancel without loss of deposit in the US is not a consumer protection, it's just how Celebrity has chosen to do business in the US.

I think that is a good summation. I will look at my bill and let you know how much the port taxes were for the two us on our upcoming Alaska cruise.

We are booked on the Constellation for June 2013 Norway

12 day cruise

Cruise fare is $1799 pr person, port charges are 300 per person additional, and additional taxes are $135.45 So the total cost is $ 2234.45 per person.

We have just the opposite situation on our Eclipse cruise this summer. There have been several sales offered only in the UK for Aqua Guarantee cabins as well as other categories that were never offered in the US. I would have jumped at the opportunity to upgrade from a 1A and saved about $2000 if the offer had been available in the US. It was very frustrating but we still plan to go on the cruise and I am trying to forget about it. I do not understand why the offer was not available internationally. They would make the same amount of $$. We also have the high airfare to deal with. Amazingly our 14 day cruise plus air is much more expensive than our 18 day cruise plus air to NZ/Australia in January. I would think Celebrity would not want to create these frustration/resentments over their pricing. It can't be good for building loyalty.

Thanks for the balanced answer from the UK. I have almost reached the stage of not reading posts from the UK because they only ever seem to be complaints. So, it was really good to read this reply.

All I would add is that we have more favourable OBC rules in the UK [if you book direct with Celebrity]. I know because we have a number of times received shareholder OBC in situations where it would not be permitted in the US.

There have also been times when the prices have been much better in the UK, especially recently, but our cousins across the water do not make so much fuss when they hear about them. Again, I know because I have mentioned them on these boards and noted the responses. It is interesting if you have been watching Michael Wood's The Great British Story - A People's History, that historically the British have an ingrained concept of "fairness" perhaps not shared with other nations. However, to be "fair" you have to look at the whole picture and not cherry-pick the situations which look unfair to you.

Because cruise pricing is dynamic, responding to market forces, IMHO they are "fairer" than fixed pricing on many other items which are frequently priced at £1=$1.

Sue

And we pay even more in new Zealand :rolleyes:

And we have to pay so much in airfares just to get to the departure port. Example, we are sailing out of fort lauderdale, $3,000 just for airfare.

And we have to pay so much in airfares just to get to the departure port. Example, we are sailing out of fort lauderdale, $3,000 just for airfare.

jensue1, try from Perth, OZ, to lauderdale, now that really is $3000- return. What you should do is book Auckland-LA return which is showing $1400- with Air NZ and then LA-FLL return, approx $300-(with US airline say AA or Delta. Total $1700-. Thats going to save you $1300 per pax if the Auckland-FLL really is $3000- which seems real high, unless you happen to be travelling over Xmas.

Please note, Celebrity will allow non-resident bookings. I was able as a New-Zealand resident to book via an American TA. However my nationality is Dutch, but I do not think that made a difference.

We have the same situation in Australia.

I called Celebrity in Australia to discuss and they told me that I can book through the US site in US$

Not sure if that is right but worth a try to save you big $$ (or GBP)

Please note, Celebrity will allow non-resident bookings. I was able as a New-Zealand resident to book via an American TA. However my nationality is Dutch, but I do not think that made a difference.

See my post above, looks like myself and Waihekean posting at the same time and with the same advise.

At present (and I appreciate this may not apply to everyone who is posting) the Seniors Discount rate (for those aged 55+) is working for the UK on some sailings. I have to admit it is the first time we have been able to see it applied in the UK and it was a very welcome change for our Solstice trip in 2013

It has been explained in the past on the Azamara boards where the company is working to the same terms and conditions that there are differences in booking prices partly driven by targeted marketing but most often by the "cost" of the terms and conditions that apply in a country.

So in the UK, we have a far higher level of consumer protection, we are protected against exchange rate fluctuations (yes I know it could fluctuate in our favour but if we could accurately predict that we would be sailing in our own private yachts) and we do have access to an element of agent discounting which is not permitted in other countries.

I recognise we have less flexible cancellation rates, but we have more flexible policies where prices change in our favour.

It is correct, we can book with international travel agents and I know some people have done this very successfully from the UK. You have to ask yourself though, what price do you put on having an agent a local or even free call away backed up by ABTA bonding. There is no right answer to this, each of us has to decide on our own appetites for adventure.

I agree the UK pricing can be crazy, which is why I booked with a US agent last time. I have travel insurance so am covered for most things and booked my flights myself so wasn't exposed that way. The only disadvantage was not being posted my luggage tags, hardly a big inconvenience. :D

I have occasionally seen good UK based deals, but they're rare and there always seem to be great deals available in the US. I doubt I'll book in the UK again.

Denise

Archived