another Alaskan cruise question

Well, we've decided to take a cruise for our August 2012 break. We are leaning toward Alaska - roundtrip out of Seattle seems the most price friendly. I know we likely missed the best pricing window.

Any suggestions on when to take the plunge and purchase tickets? There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids (11 &13)).

Also are there any cruise lines that package their cruises with airfare?

We'd love to try to grab a last minute deal but we are on the east coast so that makes things difficult.

Thanks for reading and your consideration.

-Michael

Prices tend to start dropping about 60 days out. So you are actually in a good price window.

I can not answer for the other cruise lines, but if you go to NCLs webpage and click on specials, you will see where several of their Alaska dates are on special. Including room upgrades and onboard credit.

NCL does offer cruise and air packages, but I have found I can book airline myself cheaper.

Im sure someone will be along to help you with the other cruise lines and when their prices are best and how to find them on the website

Best of luck and have a great trip

It's easy to check prices and itineraries for various cruises using consolidator websites or online travel agencies. We can't name names here, so either ask friends/co-workers at home, or use websites you've checked before. Once you identify a couple options, you can check out the cruiseline website for more details, go to that cruiseline forum here on CC to look for more information, and you should always read the Alaska forum here - TONS of good information.

If you could wait until September (not sure when your kids are back in school) the prices will be even cheaper......Of course, the reason is that most families can't go that late (so it's perfect for those of us without kids;))

I always book my own air as well - can do it cheaper, can do it with my preferred airline for miles if I want, can do my preferred itinerary and dates, etc. But price it both ways and make up your mind based on those facts.....

There do seem to be some good deals going on right now for Alaska...

What I normally do first is look at one of the online travel agencies - not to book with them necessarily, but just to do a generic search which often covers multiple lines. Gives me a sort of general idea of what things are costing for different times of the month or season.

Honestly, don't wait.

Most sailings are selling very well.

And lower price cabins go first as do the best in each category.

I would book now and probably a few months ago would have been even better.

Keith

Yes, cruise lines will package air for you, but honestly it is just about always cheaper to arrange it separately (but check to be sure). The cruise will not be the expensive part of this, airfare will :(

We travelled to Alaska a few years ago last minute with kids just about your kids's ages - we had a great time! Enjoy!

I booked our Alaskan cruise tour about four weeks ago--right after the final payment date. Princess started doing some big sales a couple of weeks ago. The price of the cruise only portion (for those who are not doing the land portion) came down quite a bit since I booked it, but the cruise tour price stayed the same. Our cruise is from Whittier to Vancouver. There were similar savings for round-trip cruises from Seattle.

At this time, you might have to book two cabins. But you might have been planning to do that already. The few cruises I checked on the Princess website did not allow any quad bookings.

HAL has Alaska sailings right now for extremely inexpensive prices - including 3rd and 4th passenger in a cabin free on some sailings! Can't beat that with a family! We took advantage of HAL's 14 day itinerary last year with 3 to a cabin, and it was more than reasonable for the cost of the cabin divided by 3. You can do the same on the 7 day RT Seattle or RT Vancouver sailings. Go to their website and do a "pretend" booking for four people in a cabin, you might be pleasantly surprised on how inexpensive the cruise portion can be. It is the airfare, as you say, last minute that can be killer (we're from the east coast as well). But maybe not - just received some emails today about RT from Phila. and RT from Newark, NJ for $376pp including taxes and all fees. Good luck in your mission!

Princess allows travel agents to discount, so be sure to check into that. We usually save at least 10%.

You're going to spend a lot of money to go to Alaska, maybe only once, so you really MUST see Glacier Bay! If you fly into Vancouver and out of Anchorage or reverse, you will really see much more of the inside passage. I agree with the poster that recommends flying in a day ahead. :)

As another person said, if you're planning on the 4 of you in one cabin, you need to book NOW! If you are wanting two cabins close together (side by side may not be an option at this point either), you need to book NOW.

Well, we've decided to take a cruise for our August 2012 break. We are leaning toward Alaska - roundtrip out of Seattle seems the most price friendly. I know we likely missed the best pricing window.

Any suggestions on when to take the plunge and purchase tickets? There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids (11 &13)).

Also are there any cruise lines that package their cruises with airfare?

We'd love to try to grab a last minute deal but we are on the east coast so that makes things difficult.

Thanks for reading and your consideration.

-Michael

I recieved an email over a week ago from NCL touting "Alaska Specials" this summer.

With an 11 & 13 year old, I would choose the NCL Pearl (rock climbingl+bowling) or a Princess cruise (movies under the stars).

I just got an email from Princess yesterday...some great deals going on for cruises in July and August. 7 day northbounds starting at $299 inside, 14 day round trip from Vancouver (essentially a planned b2b) starting at $649 inside.

Archived