Vow renewal ceremony

Doglovertoo

On our cruise last Oct on the Maasdam we were able to pick from several photos (and buy any of the others if we wish - we did purchase one more) for our 8x10 photo (yes it is 8x10 as I just went back and measured it).

DaveOKC

I think it may vary from ship to ship. We did it on the Zuiderdam and the Eurodam and there were "minor" differences in what was and wasn't included. I did send HAL a letter stating that since this is offered across the fleet it should be the same across the fleet. Got the usual form letter back - "sorry for the confusion, we will talk to the appropriate people, etc"

I just booked it and Ship's Services told me that a portrait in NOT included in the ROV, just the activity sheet. Also, I asked for a copy of the vows and apparently I'm the first person ever to ask that! They're going to get them from the ship and email them to me. She did tell me that there's no opportunity to personalize the vows, which makes me a bit sad, but we'll go with the flow.

When you get the copy of the vows, would you post them here. It would be great to see what they are. We are seriously considering doing this on our cruise next year.

That is true, it is not an 8 x 10 portrait, it is a 5 x 7 that they pick out. You usually don't get it until the last night of the cruise and it appears in your room. Also regarding the writting of the vows, we just told the captain right before the ceremony and he was fine with it. He read the standard ones and then we did our own. This was extremely important to us because my DW is fighting cancer and we wanted to express our vows with support, love and happiness no matter what life through at us. By the time we finished the other couple was crying and the Captain wiped a tear from his eye. It was so special and something we will never forget.

Sending many positive thoughts your way. I hope your husband will be well soon. My husband is a cancer survivor. I can understand wanting the personalize vows. I'm so glad the Captain agreed.

iriemon - that's us too. My husband had cancer when we married, 17 years ago, and he still has it. They had us call Hospice two years ago, but he's doing well now. So I too really want to customize the ceremony. I think I should just talk to the onboard party planner once we're on Maasdam.

And yes, for sure, I'll be happy to post here whatever vows they send me.

I just booked it and Ship's Services told me that a portrait in NOT included in the ROV, just the activity sheet. Also, I asked for a copy of the vows and apparently I'm the first person ever to ask that! They're going to get them from the ship and email them to me. She did tell me that there's no opportunity to personalize the vows, which makes me a bit sad, but we'll go with the flow.

I have our Picture of DH & me with the Capt. & it was placed in our album by the person who made up the album...The pic we have in the album which was presented to us is a 6 X 8...BTW I was given a corsage & DH has a red rose in his lapel..

Also in the album is a copy of our vows:

The Capt's Part:

Your love has brought you together on this joyous occasion

Hand in Hand you renew those vows of love and Trust in each other.

Together you have come onboard the ms Noordam, to confirm to each other and to make public,That your love shall be one and your destinies shall not be known apart.

DH & I each repeated the next part:

I come once again before you,

To renew our vows of marriage,

I promise to be strong in my love,

Gentle in my care,

And unwavering in my trust,

In the name of all we have created together,

And all that we are yet to become,

I offer you my hand,

As your partner,

Lifetime friend,

And companion

This is printed & centered on Hal stationary & included in our album..Just typing this is making me teary eyed, as DH & I may not be able to cruise too much longer, but we'll take it day by day...

Then there was a Renewal of vows toast by the Capt also printed & placed in our album..

There are big ships

There are small ships

There are ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are

relationships

And shall they always be

Congratulations

I believe, if you would like to write your own vows, it would be lovely, but you should discuss this with the Party Planner who probably will speak to the Capt.. if they don't have too many couples doing the ROV at the same time, they may agree to do it for you..

Enjoy your cruise & your ROV..

Edited by serendipity1499

iriemon - that's us too. My husband had cancer when we married, 17 years ago, and he still has it. They had us call Hospice two years ago, but he's doing well now. So I too really want to customize the ceremony. I think I should just talk to the onboard party planner once we're on Maasdam.

And yes, for sure, I'll be happy to post here whatever vows they send me.

The party planner on Maasdam (in Oct) was a great one to work with on our ROV. She, the Captain and the rest of the crew went out of their way to make our event special.

If you remember, tell them that Dave and Geri from the Oct., 2011 repositioning cruise recommended the ROV. I bet they remember us, as we were the only ones to do the ROV all season long!

DaveOKC

I set it up and surprised my wife when we got on board. The price included the things iriemon stated above plus a reception with finger food and wine, a cake and a beautiful foto book with pictures of the cake cutting and the captain performing the ceremony. The book also also included a copy of the renewal vow words.

I also did it & surprised my wife ( she was esp. surprised to meet CC members

who knew about it when she didn't)

Thought captain would impatiently say a few words to us & hurried leave.

Instead he spent about 45 minutes talking to us (who knew a Dutch captain

would live in Charlotte, NC & be a big NASCAR fan). We had to tell him we had

to leave to get ready for dinner.

Definitely worth it - did it in 2009 & still getting kudos for it from my wife

& other relatives.

HAL just sent me these vows - they say Statendam, and since I'll be on Maasdam I'm not sure if they'll be exactly the same, but they're pretty nice anyway.

Renewal of Wedding Vows

On this occasion we are witnessing the renewal of those vows of love and trust made by you on your wedding day. During the intervening years you have lived through sickness and health, pain and pleasure, success and failure. Because of your love for each other, you have persevered through the bright sunlight of the mountain tops and the depths of the sea.

Your love has brought you together to this joyous occasion, where hand in hand, you renew those vows of love and trust in each other.

You have come aboard the Statendam, together, to confirm to each other and make public that your love shall be one and your destinies shall not be known apart.

(Please face each other and repeat together after me)

I come once again before you

To renew our vows of marriage.

Gentle in my care,

And unwavering in my trust.

In the names of all that we have created together,

I offer you my hand,

As your partner,

Lifetime friend,

and companion.

With these words, I, _____________, Master of the Statendam wish all the joy, that only love can bring, be yours today and in all of life’s tomorrows.

You may now seal these vows with a kiss.

:)

HAL just sent me these vows - they say Statendam, and since I'll be on Maasdam I'm not sure if they'll be exactly the same, but they're pretty nice anyway.

Renewal of Wedding Vows

On this occasion we are witnessing the renewal of those vows of love and trust made by you on your wedding day. During the intervening years you have lived through sickness and health, pain and pleasure, success and failure. Because of your love for each other, you have persevered through the bright sunlight of the mountain tops and the depths of the sea.

Your love has brought you together to this joyous occasion, where hand in hand, you renew those vows of love and trust in each other.

You have come aboard the Statendam, together, to confirm to each other and make public that your love shall be one and your destinies shall not be known apart.

Gentle in my care,

I offer you my hand,

As your partner,

Lifetime friend,

and companion.

With these words, I, _____________, Master of the Statendam wish all the joy, that only love can bring, be yours today and in all of life’s tomorrows.

I notice that the Capt's part was quite different than our Capt's part which is in our album..I wonder if each Capt. writes his own part or do they have different scripts..

Our Vows were exactly the same..

Cheers...Betty

• 2 months later...

I read all of your posts, and this sounds like something that could be very special for us.

Our honeymoon was our first cruise ever, on HAL, over 30 years ago. And although we have cruised with other lines, this cruise will be our first with HAL since our honeymoon.

I thought I would schedule the renewal of vows ceremony as a surprise for DW.

But, here are my questions.

I called Ship Services, and was advised that the ceremony could be held on any day at the Captain's prerogative. We are cruising to the Mediterranean, with only one day at sea, and would hate to cut a port day short for the ceremony. :(

Also, I was told that it would not necessarily be on one of the two formal nights, which would mean we would conceivably need to bring three (!) formal outfits for a seven day cruise ! Of course we would like to be nicely dressed for the ceremony.:D

Any thoughts?

I read all of your posts, and this sounds like something that could be very special for us.

Our honeymoon was our first cruise ever, on HAL, over 30 years ago. And although we have cruised with other lines, this cruise will be our first with HAL since our honeymoon.

I thought I would schedule the renewal of vows ceremony as a surprise for DW.

I called Ship Services, and was advised that the ceremony could be held on any day at the Captain's prerogative. We are cruising to the Mediterranean, with only one day at sea, and would hate to cut a port day short for the ceremony. :(

Also, I was told that it would not necessarily be on one of the two formal nights, which would mean we would conceivably need to bring three (!) formal outfits for a seven day cruise ! Of course we would like to be nicely dressed for the ceremony.:D

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm....I would suspect that the Capt. will do your ROV on your one & only sea day, which probably will also be a Formal night..But I'm not sure of that..It was also done between the first & second dinner seatings..

Why will you need three Formal outfits? Why not wear one outfit twice? One for your ROV & the same one on the second formal night, if your ROV is not on a formal night..

Ours was done on a Formal night but I did not wear a gown for our ROV..I wore a knee length light blue chiffon dress with a matching blue/pink jacket of Roses with blue seed pearls on the shoulders..It was the dress I wore for our Son's wedding..It worked perfectly well for another one of our 6 Formal nights..DH wore a dark suit with a new light blue stripped tie, which matched my dress beautifully..

Most people do not bring a different outfit for each formal night..We always wear out formal clothes more than once on a cruise..We'll be on the Noordam for 21 days in Nov & I'll only take 3 formal outfits for the 6 formal nights..And for our 10 week cruise on HAL in Jan, will probably only take 5-6 Formal outfits..On that cruise, believe that there will only be one formal night per week..

Enjoy your Med cruise & please come back & tell us how your ROV went..

Cheers...:)Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Any thoughts?

I would not surprise your DW - let her know ahead of time. I thought about doing the same, but she was glad I let her know.

It is true that the date and time is up to the Captain, but it is VERY likely to be on a formal night and between the two dining times. Probably will be your sea day.

IMO - JUST DO IT! We had the best time at ours last year and will never forget the experience. We certainly got a great value for our money as well, and I bet that is one reason HAL does not promote this item - they likely lose money doing it plus it takes up the Captain's valuable time.

DaveOKC

Why will you need three Formal outfits? Why not wear one outfit twice? One for your ROV & the same one on the second formal night, if your ROV is not on a formal night..

Cheers...Betty

Thanks Betty. I usually wear a tux for formal night and have two shirts and two different ties. And DW has some nice formal wear she likes to bring out for our cruises. We certainly can duplicate our outfits - but, I guess ultimately I was hoping we didn't have to dress up so much on one of the "Smart Casual" nights :D

But, you are probably right and we will hope it is on one of the scheduled formal nights.

I would not surprise your DW - let her know ahead of time. I thought about doing the same, but she was glad I let her know.

IMO - JUST DO IT! DaveOKC

Thanks for the input. I am torn between telling her in advance and surprising her as a romantic gesture. ;)

I still have some time to decide.

Renewal of Wedding Vows

Gentle in my care,

I offer you my hand,

As your partner,

Lifetime friend,

and companion.

You also have the option of writting your own vows which is what we did.

I'm the original poster so wanted to give a report. We did the renewal of vows last week on the Oosterdam and it was wonderful. It was done on our second formal night at 7:15 p.m. We had dinner first thinking it would be late if we waited. It worked out well except we didn't have room for the appetizers they offered us before the ceremony. But we did have some cake and champagne. It was just us and one other couple. The captain did a great job and he and the event planner spent time with us before and after the ceremony. We got some great pictures from the event as well. We received a complimentary picture, flowers for our room and a very nice binder/scrapbook to put our momentos and pictures in. Dinner at the Pinnacle Grille was also included and it was the best meal we had all week. We had our traveling companions attend the ceremony with us and they really enjoyed it too. Highly recommend this! :D