Vow renewal ceremony

Doglovertoo

My experience with a vow renewal is very like yours. I think it's a very personal choice, and the idea of a suprise vow renewal is not something I consider a good idea. That said, I was conviced to go along with a bunch of cousins to organize something like this for the aunt and uncle who had no kids. They married somewhat late, so I think it was 25th anniversary. I don't remember how someone got them to the church, but we all took part in readings and such at the mass and it all went off well (with a nice party to follow). They were pleased with the whole thing, but I would NOT like to be surprised like this. My parents were there, and I recall that they let me know that I should not even think about doing this for them as an anniversary gift.

I know that a lot of people do the vow renewal. I think that's fine if you want to do it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't find romantic guestures "sappy," and it's hard to explain why I wouldn't want to do it. I guess the best explanation is it feels artificial to me. Plus, I'm afraid I'd get the giggles in the midst of everything. (I have an unfortunate tendency to laugh when I'm supposed to be solemn).

I'm a little more in your camp. I had been researching a renewal of vows ceremony and got all caught up in the fun of it. Then, when telling my husband about it, he reminded me of our wonderful tradition every year.

Our minister gave us a full and exact copy of our entire wedding ceremony, including the vows we wrote to each other at the time. We read those to each other every year o

n our anniversary.

This year we will be at HMC on our anniversary and have made the plan to do our own renewal tradition very special!

While I think that a renewal ceremony is wonderful and special, my thought on this is that we had the most beautiful wedding ceremony one could ever hope for, and we renew and remember that on our anniversary every year!!! (and THAT, my friends, is priceless!)

Edited by PeaceLoveCruise
Typos

Just came back to add that I agree with some posters about planning this as a surprise. I was 100% sure that my sister and BIL would love the whole thing or I would never have planned it as a surprise.

On the other hand, while I thought the package was very, very nice, I would never want someone to surprise me with this. I hate surprises. I most likely would never book it for ourselves either. We're just very private and make our own special moments.

So, I think it is a wonderful service for some people and not for others depending on personality. Regardless, it is a nice ceremony and very well done.

RE: guests... there is a charge for guests. We paid for the package and 2 guests (us). Total was $147.24. (I think it was $120.00 plus $13.62 per guest.) This was just a couple of weeks ago, so price is current. In addition to the champagne served at the ceremony, each couple received a bottle in their cabin earlier in the week.

Can anyone convince my otherwise wonderful husband this is not sappy? *SIGH* :rolleyes:

But it IS sappy. The secret is to convince him sappy is OK.

Tell him you'll cry and he'll get to be the big strong man with the tear stained manly shoulders. ;)

WVBill ... wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing.

My husband and I have renewed our vows twice. We have a friend who is a minister. We renewed our vows at a hotel on our suite balcony overlooking the beach/ocean. Total of 5 of us there. I wore a long ivory dress, my hubby wore a tux. My husband had survived cancer 2 years before, so this was very special to us. The ceremony (we scripted/wrote it ourselves) touched our hearts like our original wedding ceremony. We had the ceremony on my 50th birthday so we never forget the date either of this renewal.

A few years back we were part of a large group on the Carnival Spirit. Our TA was an "internet" ordained minister and he performed a vow renewal ceremony for 10 couples. It was very, very casual ... but was nice.

We have talked over the years of renewing our vows with the ship's captain officiating (or other ship's officer - it isn't always the captain depending on the cruise line and who is available). We met on a cruise to Alaska 26 years ago in Sep, so always thought it would be romantic and perfect to do this. We have discussed it a bit for our cruise next year to Alaska, but haven't made a decision yet.

But it IS sappy. The secret is to convince him sappy is OK.

Tell him you'll cry and he'll get to be the big strong man with the tear stained manly shoulders. ;)

Ha ha! Just not going to happen. I think he feels it's just not genuine, the "real deal", which we've done already 15 years ago. It's not that we don't love being married, becuase we do. We are a perfect pair, but he's just not a romantic- and that is ok. I get other things, and a vow renewal wasn't something we discussed before we got married like having kids and where we wanted to live... LOL

Was the Pinnacle Grill meal included with the $125 vow renewal cost, or was that something extra that you chose to do? And if it was included, did you get to pick the day/time to use it? Does anyone know how much it is pp if adding additional guests? Thank you

Was the Pinnacle Grill meal included with the $125 vow renewal cost, or was that something extra that you chose to do? And if it was included, did you get to pick the day/time to use it? Does anyone know how much it is pp if adding additional guests? Thank you

The PG for 2 is included in the fee, so that alone is worth $50. You can pick any day and time you want to go there.

Additional guests - I forget the exact amount, but its about $12-13. Ships services can tell you exactly when you book it.

DaveOKC

Yes, the PG was included in the $125 cost and you do pick which night. :):) (See post #17 above.)

Renewal of Vows On Board

For couples that would like to say their wedding vows while at sea, Holland America Line offers an onboard Renewal-of-Vows package. As part of the package, the guests will receive flowers in their stateroom, and invitations are made available to invite guests to the ceremony and celebration.

The couple also receives:

A 10x7 activity sheet

Dinner for two one evening in the Pinnacle Grill

A celebration featuring music, champagne, wine and hors d'oeuvres served by Holland America Line's five-star staff

Onboard honeymoon, anniversary and renewal-of-vows packages may be booked through Holland America Line's Ship Services Department, (800) 541-1576.

WVBill ... wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing.

My husband and I have renewed our vows twice. We have a friend who is a minister. We renewed our vows at a hotel on our suite balcony overlooking the beach/ocean. Total of 5 of us there. I wore a long ivory dress, my hubby wore a tux. My husband had survived cancer 2 years before, so this was very special to us. The ceremony (we scripted/wrote it ourselves) touched our hearts like our original wedding ceremony. We had the ceremony on my 50th birthday so we never forget the date either of this renewal.

A few years back we were part of a large group on the Carnival Spirit. Our TA was an "internet" ordained minister and he performed a vow renewal ceremony for 10 couples. It was very, very casual ... but was nice.

We have talked over the years of renewing our vows with the ship's captain officiating (or other ship's officer - it isn't always the captain depending on the cruise line and who is available). We met on a cruise to Alaska 26 years ago in Sep, so always thought it would be romantic and perfect to do this. We have discussed it a bit for our cruise next year to Alaska, but haven't made a decision yet.

I think that is a wonderful reason to renew your vows! Congratulations!!

WVBill... Your photos are beautiful!!! Truly wonderful!

I love the renewal of vows! I'm also happy with the fact that I married the same man I would choose to marry over and over again!

Congrats to everyone renewing!!!

Ok, my husband loves this idea, so I'm almost ready to book it. Someone mentioned writing their own vows - how does this work? Do you tell Ship's Services that you're going to do that? Do you think the ceremony could be done out on deck, weather permitting?

We did in April, it was really nice. There are two options, do it onboard with the Capt. Or if the ship stops at HMC it can be done there in the church, I don't think the Capt. Does it there.

To do it at HMC, you have to book it once you get onboard the ship.

Ammended: That's according to one Hal rep, but another just game me more info on this and there is a direct number to call.

Edited by PeaceLoveCruise

Ok, my husband loves this idea, so I'm almost ready to book it. Someone mentioned writing their own vows - how does this work? Do you tell Ship's Services that you're going to do that? Do you think the ceremony could be done out on deck, weather permitting?

Doubt that very much..You have to discuss this with the Party Planner..First of all it is usually done at night between the first & second fixed seating & usually on a formal night..There may be other couples with guests who are doing the same thing & it is always done at the same time for every couple..

That is usually when the Capt. plans it..They set up for the champagne & Hors d'Ouvervre's..

There were three couples on our cruise & approx 25-30 guests(we paid extra for our four guests) who were dressed up..The Capt came in & talked to us all at the same time & read a beautiful poem to us..Then the Party Planner called us individually with our guests to another part of the room which was beautifully decorated..In front of a large beautifully decorated cake the Capt. performed the ROV..

After that we all were served more Champagne & cake & then went to dinner..We scheduled our dinner in the Pinnacle for another night..

It was lovely..

Cheers...Betty

P.S. We booked it with Ships Services prior to our cruise & since two of our Friends were only on the second half of our cruise, I talked to the Front Desk & ask them if our ROV could be done on the second half of our cruise..They said yes..The Party Planner contaced us prior to the ROV..

Edited by serendipity1499

It's a done deal. I booked it yesterday! Thank you for all of the input.:D

Wonderful..:)

As I mentioned before be sure to schedule a portrait of the two of you with the Photographers, preferably before the ROV..That is included in the ROV..We didn't & I regretted it as the only pic we have in our album is with the Capt. & I'm crying my eyes out..

We'll be on the Noordam again in Nov. & I plan to have a formal pic taken, for our HAL album, even though we will have to pay for it..

cheers..Betty

I just booked it and Ship's Services told me that a portrait in NOT included in the ROV, just the activity sheet. Also, I asked for a copy of the vows and apparently I'm the first person ever to ask that! They're going to get them from the ship and email them to me. She did tell me that there's no opportunity to personalize the vows, which makes me a bit sad, but we'll go with the flow.

I just booked it and Ship's Services told me that a portrait in NOT included in the ROV, just the activity sheet. Also, I asked for a copy of the vows and apparently I'm the first person ever to ask that! They're going to get them from the ship and email them to me. She did tell me that there's no opportunity to personalize the vows, which makes me a bit sad, but we'll go with the flow.

That is true, it is not an 8 x 10 portrait, it is a 5 x 7 that they pick out. You usually don't get it until the last night of the cruise and it appears in your room. Also regarding the writting of the vows, we just told the captain right before the ceremony and he was fine with it. He read the standard ones and then we did our own. This was extremely important to us because my DW is fighting cancer and we wanted to express our vows with support, love and happiness no matter what life through at us. By the time we finished the other couple was crying and the Captain wiped a tear from his eye. It was so special and something we will never forget.

That is true, it is not an 8 x 10 portrait, it is a 5 x 7 that they pick out. You usually don't get it until the last night of the cruise and it appears in your room. Also regarding the writting of the vows, we just told the captain right before the ceremony and he was fine with it. He read the standard ones and then we did our own. This was extremely important to us because my DW is fighting cancer and we wanted to express our vows with support, love and happiness no matter what life through at us. By the time we finished the other couple was crying and the Captain wiped a tear from his eye. It was so special and something we will never forget.

You made me cry a little. I think that this renewal of vows is more special than I realized initially... Especially if you are going through or have been through something very difficult and life altering. I'm so happy that HAL provides this service!

You made me cry a little. I think that this renewal of vows is more special than I realized initially... Especially if you are going through or have been through something very difficult and life altering. I'm so happy that HAL provides this service!

Yes from my experience HAL lets you customize the arrangement as much as you want - within reason. They do a great job and make it your time, not just something they do every cruise.

On our cruise last Oct on the Maasdam we were able to pick from several photos (and buy any of the others if we wish - we did purchase one more) for our 8x10 photo (yes it is 8x10 as I just went back and measured it).

DaveOKC