Vow renewal ceremony

Doglovertoo

Yes Yes Yes!! We have done it twice once on the Eurodam and once on the Zuiderdam for milestone anniversaries. It was a wonderful celebration and they really do it right. At one ceremony there was one other couple at the other were 2 other couples but one of them was a couple that was traveling with us. On the Eurodam it was done in a private area of the crows nest and on the Zuiderdam it was done in the Piano bar (it was closed). We also did dinner at the Pinnacle that night. We were all dressed up and they provided the flowers for us to wear. The bouquet in the room was beautiful and lasted the 10 days of the cruise. We always write our own vows but otherwise they have ones for you to repeat. Do it you will enjoy it.

I set it up and surprised my wife when we got on board. The price included the things iriemon stated above plus a reception with finger food and wine, a cake and a beautiful foto book with pictures of the cake cutting and the captain performing the ceremony. The book also also included a copy of the renewal vow words.

This was a family cruise that included our sons and wives. They cost extra.

We are sailing in September to Alaska on the Oosterdam for our 25th Anniversary. I'm wondering if the vow renewal ceremony is worth the $125 charge? Thanks.

Oh Yes I agree with iriemon..We did it on the Noordam in 2010 & it was wonderful..There were two other couples, one of which had approx 20 guests (their family) & it was held in the Piano Bar..However, the Capt. called us individually with our guests to the other side of the room..We had four of our Friends & paid extra for them..For that we & our guests had champagne & cake..It was held between the early & late dinner seatings on a Formal night..

But, be sure to make a date with the photographers to have a portrait done of you both either before or the day following the ceremony.. We got the invite, from the photographers, but did not do that & should have..So the only pic we have in the beautiful album HAL gave us, is DH & I with the Capt. & I'm crying my eyes out! I look really unhappy which was not the case..We're booked on the Noordam again this Nov. & I'm going to arrange to have another pic of DH & I done to put in the album..This time will have to pay for it though, but it's worth it.. Will not wear the same dress as it's much too dressy..

Enjoy it as we really think it was something special..

Cheers..:).Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I have to agree... do it. I arranged this for my sister and BIL for their 40th on the Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago. My DH and I attended as guests. I was very impressed with everything. My sister and BIL were thrilled with such a nice surprise. There was one other couple also celebrating 40 years. They had no guests so it was quite intimate with the Captain and his wife, just 8 of us. Nice opportunity to chat with the Captain. It was held in the Piano Bar and one of the HalCats provided music throughout cocktail time. Then the Captain performed the renewals, each couple individually. After that, more champagne and cake. Very special memory and well worth the price.

Do it. We did it on our 30 day Tahiti / Hawaii cruise on Rotterdam for our 40th. It was very tastefully done and also romantic. We had my two sisters and their husbands as guests. It was a wonderful evening. Believe me we all enjoyed it!!!

DO IT!! The best money we ever spent on HAL.

We did this for our 40th last Oct on the Maasdam. Were sent an invitation from the special events coordinator of the ship notifying us of the time and place (it was held on a formal night, between the two dining seatings.

We went to the Crows Nest at the appointed time to find it roped off for a private party. The coordinator greeted us by name and invited us in. We were served champaign and snacks until the Captain arrived a few minutes later. The Captain and his wife joined us (making a small party of five) and we visited for about 15-20 minutes - nice touch and very unusual. We were the only couple doing the ceremony, and in fact were the only couple to do it for the entire NE/Canada season on the ship!

We went through the ceremony, had pictures taken and cut a fairly large cake. After which the 5 of us had more champaign and of course cake. Spent another 15 minutes visiting and finally the Captain and his wife left for dinner.

What an experience for $115! Of course we got dinner for two in the Pinnacle, a very nice photo albumn with one 8x10 photo if our chosing, plus a couple of certificates/vow writeups. And flowers of course. Also, they sent us a bottle of wine to the room (this is normally not included).

You will not find a better deal than this IMO.

DaveOKC

I am teary eyed reading this! My hubby and I will be cruising next year and celebrating our 10th. I'm going to go mention this to him right now. We are trying to talk my parents into cruising in 2014 (they have never cruised). If this happens, my husband and I, our children (and their spouses if they are married by then, or else their bf/gf), and my sister will join them. It will be their 50th anniversary, so this would be wonderful for them.

The best money ever spent on a ship!:D:D

We did this on our very first cruise (35th Anniversary) and it was I who had to convince my DW it wasn't sappy but by the end of the ceremony we were both teary-eyed. We also arranged to have our Pinnacle Grill dinner right after the ceremony. When you consider the PG dinner alone is worth $50, the ROV package price is extremely reasonable.

I arranged it through ship services. It just so happened that, on our cruise, we were the only couple who booked the ROV so we had the Captain and the event planner and the room all to ourselves.

The (included) book they gave us with the ceremony etc. in it is a treasured memento!

Moomduck1 ... here is the info from HAL's site:

Renewal of Vows On Board

For couples that would like to say their wedding vows while at sea, Holland America Line offers an onboard Renewal-of-Vows package. As part of the package, the guests will receive flowers in their stateroom, and invitations are made available to invite guests to the ceremony and celebration. The couple also receives:

A 10x7 activity sheet

Dinner for two one evening in the Pinnacle Grill

A celebration featuring music, champagne, wine and hors d'oeuvres served by Holland America Line's five-star staff

Onboard honeymoon, anniversary and renewal-of-vows packages may be booked through Holland America Line's Ship Services Department, (800) 541-1576.

Edited by AZNative2000

Can anyone convince my otherwise wonderful husband this is not sappy? *SIGH* :rolleyes:

Sorry, I can't. I've only been to one vow renewal cermony when the family arranged for my dearly loved father and mother in-law to have a suprise! renewal of vows on their 50th Anniversary. (Not on a ship, but rather during an anniversary Mass arranged for the occasion). After the event, I talked to Dad-In-Law, and while he was grateful for the effort involved, he saw no reason to renew a vow he had taken for a lifetime. That was his personal view, and while many might enjoy a vow renewal ceremony, he was entitled to his belief, just as your husband is to be respected for his.

Anyway, I can understand why your wonderful husband finds a renewal of vows ceremony on board "sappy"; what some might find romantic and charming, others find commercial and superfluous.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I am teary eyed reading this! My hubby and I will be cruising next year and celebrating our 10th. I'm going to go mention this to him right now. We are trying to talk my parents into cruising in 2014 (they have never cruised). If this happens, my husband and I, our children (and their spouses if they are married by then, or else their bf/gf), and my sister will join them. It will be their 50th anniversary, so this would be wonderful for them.
Be aware that there is an additional charge to bring guests to the ceremony. We were sailing with friends and paid the fee for them when I called Guest Services to book the ceremony. Also, the timing of the ceremony is entirely at the discretion of the Captain. It very well may not be on the day of their anniversary.

I'm interested in doing this. We're not sailing with friends or family, so would it be just the two of us, or do they try to group all the renewal folks together, assuming there are others?

There could be more than the two of you. In the two times we have done it there was one other couple at one and two other couples at the other (we knew one of them) Depends on how many sign up. From what I heard if there are a number of people sign up they do it in multiple sessions so it still remains personal and intimate.

Sorry, I can't. I've only been to one vow renewal cermony when the family arranged for my dearly loved father and mother in-law to have a suprise! renewal of vows on their 50th Anniversary. (Not on a ship, but rather during an anniversary Mass arranged for the occasion). After the event, I talked to Dad-In-Law, and while he was grateful for the effort involved, he saw no reason to renew a vow he had taken for a lifetime. That was his personal view, and while many might enjoy a vow renewal ceremony, he was entitled to his belief, just as your husband is to be respected for his.

Anyway, I can understand why your wonderful husband finds a renewal of vows ceremony on board "sappy"; what some might find romantic and charming, others find commercial and superfluous.

Best wishes,

Salacia

My experience with a vow renewal is very like yours. I think it's a very personal choice, and the idea of a suprise vow renewal is not something I consider a good idea. That said, I was conviced to go along with a bunch of cousins to organize something like this for the aunt and uncle who had no kids. They married somewhat late, so I think it was 25th anniversary. I don't remember how someone got them to the church, but we all took part in readings and such at the mass and it all went off well (with a nice party to follow). They were pleased with the whole thing, but I would NOT like to be surprised like this. My parents were there, and I recall that they let me know that I should not even think about doing this for them as an anniversary gift.

I know that a lot of people do the vow renewal. I think that's fine if you want to do it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't find romantic guestures "sappy," and it's hard to explain why I wouldn't want to do it. I guess the best explanation is it feels artificial to me. Plus, I'm afraid I'd get the giggles in the midst of everything. (I have an unfortunate tendency to laugh when I'm supposed to be solemn).

Can anyone convince my otherwise wonderful husband this is not sappy? *SIGH* :rolleyes:

To Andy - Doing a renewal of vows ceremony is most definitely not "sappy". When we were planning our cruise (on Princess ) last year for our 25th Anniversary, I came across the ROV package on the Princess web site and decided it would be the perfect way to celebrate our day.

I thought about surprising my wife once we got aboard but decided that she would much rather know in advance so she could plan and bring the "right" clothes.

What I did surprise her with was a ring - Silver (to celebrate our silver anniversary) with a princess cut ruby stone (we were on the Ruby Princess).

It was a magical, wonderful experience. We were alone on the cruise but met the most wonderful two couples our first night at dinner and invited them to the ceremony. They came and we had a great time.

DO IT, man!

(you'll be amazed at the "points" you'll get from sue ;) )

WVBill

1249431861_ROV4.jpg.9eae1490c5f61fa37fc7b7feef93e427.jpg

741899476_ROV3.jpg.98baebea9e310cf4a5fd237b8ffa4e21.jpg

2073842903_ROV2.jpg.95c16f56a2aacdfa4422e053010ead1e.jpg

1963717389_ROV1.jpg.d0ed47671d8a5dcf99bcc5079fab9b6f.jpg