White dinner jacket

Just bought my DH a white dinner jacket for cruising in Hawaii / Caribbean.

I think they look so handsome!

We are having a debate about accessories.....So maybe the experts can help us with white dinner jacket etiquette...

Can he wear either a shirt with wing collar or a turndown collar with white dinner jacket?

Does it have to be a bow tie or could he wear a formal tie (probably black?) with it?

Does he need to wear a cummerbund (with the bow tie)? He has several but thinks they are too fussy.

He already has the black tux pants....

Would the white dinner jacket be appropriate on other cruises - such as a Transatlantic or only to be worn for warm weather cruises?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

We are having a debate about accessories.....So maybe the experts can help us with white dinner jacket etiquette...

Can he wear either a shirt with wing collar or a turndown collar with white dinner jacket?

Does it have to be a bow tie or could he wear a formal tie (probably black?) with it?

Does he need to wear a cummerbund (with the bow tie)? He has several but thinks they are too fussy.

Would the white dinner jacket be appropriate on other cruises - such as a Transatlantic or only to be worn for warm weather cruises?

My DH has worn a white jacket on our last 3 cruises .1 on the Ventura on an Atlantic crossing in March. 2 on I.O.Seas in November and 3 on a Med cruise in July. Lots more men wore them .So go for it. He will be great.

marlene

SHR

• 2 weeks later...

I have a white dinner jacket. Your husband can wear them on any cruise so you are not limited to time of year nor to itinerary.

I would recommend a cummerbund but that is not essential. Some people wear a vest with it and skip the cummerbund.

Either type of shirt would work well.

I would go with a bow tie. A black is a nice traditional look but he can go with other colors such as the nice red one that seconhanrose posted.

If I told you the one challenge with a white jacket is just to be careful when he eats because it will show a spot easier than say a black tuxedo jacket.

Keith

I have a white dinner jacket. Your husband can wear them on any cruise so you are not limited to time of year nor to itinerary.

I would recommend a cummerbund but that is not essential. Some people wear a vest with it and skip the cummerbund.

Either type of shirt would work well.

I would go with a bow tie. A black is a nice traditional look but he can go with other colors such as the nice red one that seconhanrose posted.

If I told you the one challenge with a white jacket is just to be careful when he eats because it will show a spot easier than say a black tuxedo jacket.

Keith

Thank you for the post, Keith! I was hoping to hear from some gentlemen.:)

DH has several (3) bow tie /cummerbund combos.....red, black /gold print and purple/black print.

I think the red would look nice and for a little more classic look, the gold/black print combo.

He can wear either standard or wing collar shirt and long tie or bow tie as per his preference IMO

DH wore white dinner jackets for years and I always loved them on formal night.

There are many fabulous bow tie/cummerbund combos out these days. Great prints/patterns.

Try http://www.BeauTiesLtd.com

I have their catalog and it's great.

I'm curious...... where was he able to find black tuxedo pants to wear with his dinner jacket? It's often hard to fnd nice black tux pants available without buying the black jacket.

We're doing a 17 night cruise on Ventura, which has 5 formal nights. My DH is taking his black tuxedo suit,plus a white DJ and white trousers. That way, he's got a 4-way mix 'n match.

We're doing a 17 night cruise on Ventura, which has 5 formal nights. My DH is taking his black tuxedo suit,plus a white DJ and white trousers. That way, he's got a 4-way mix 'n match.

O.M.G. The photos I have posted of DH in his white jacket were on the Ventura in 2010. we could not find a fault with this great ship except we kept getting lost. Ha Ha Have a fab time

Marlene

SHR

Thank you for the post, Keith! I was hoping to hear from some gentlemen.:)

DH has several (3) bow tie /cummerbund combos.....red, black /gold print and purple/black print.

I think the red would look nice and for a little more classic look, the gold/black print combo.

You are most welcome.

Yes, I think the combos that you mentioned sound very nice.

Just have him try them on just so you can see him wearing each one but they sound like they should work very well.

If he wants as just a simple look he could stay with the black cummerbund and go with the different color ties or go with each combo.

Keith

I also really like it with a black dress shirt and an open color sans tie for a less formal look, not necessarily on formal night. My husband tends to wear a sport coat most every night anyway.

He can wear either standard or wing collar shirt and long tie or bow tie as per his preference IMO

DH wore white dinner jackets for years and I always loved them on formal night.

There are many fabulous bow tie/cummerbund combos out these days. Great prints/patterns.

Try www.BeauTiesLtd.com

I have their catalog and it's great.

I'm curious...... where was he able to find black tuxedo pants to wear with his dinner jacket? It's often hard to fnd nice black tux pants available without buying the black jacket.

Thank you for the link to Beau Ties.....I have requested a catalog. :)

He has a classic black tux so he's using those pants with the white dinner jacket.

SNIP....

Keith

1) Do NOT order the spaghetti!

2) I recommend carrying a small bottle of stain remover (For example: http://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-b-gone-stain-remover-travel-spray-(3.75-oz.).asp

Someone WILL spill red wine on it!

Cheers

Mark

1) Do NOT order the spaghetti!

2) I recommend carrying a small bottle of stain remover (For example: http://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-b-gone-stain-remover-travel-spray-(3.75-oz.).asp

Someone WILL spill red wine on it!

Cheers

Mark

Mark, I just sent it off for dry cleaning.

I would not want to take a chance using a stain remover on something as expensive as a white dinner jacket, tuxedo, suit or sports jacket or good slacks. I first would spend the money to have these items dry cleaned.

Keith

That'a a great link.

The Wine B'Gone looks like a good product.

Have you used it?

I have and it works well, especially on wine stains. All the usual caveats apply: test it first on a hidden area, use sparingly, blot.

Dry cleaning can actually set some stains, and is often more effective if some treatment has occurred prior. Treatment soon after the stain is best, before it can dry/set. Soda water and salt can be effective, both often found at table.

If you are concerned, consult your professional tailor or dry-cleaner before trying. I would defer to their opinion. I have no business interest in the product. Just a consumer.

Cheers

Mark

Archived