Travel Insurance/Tricare

sparkysj

We have not ever purchased travel insurance for any of our cruises and I'm just wondering if maybe we should. we have Tricare for our medical and wondered if any other cruisers do and if they know if they would cover med evac?

If we did purchase a travel insurance plan what suggestions on where to get it does anyone have (we are crusing on Carnival). Thanks!

Tricare does cover medical costs overseas. The details can depend on which Tricare plan you are using, where you get your care and perhaps your status (Active, Retired, Dependant). Tricare does not cover emergency evacuation, but AMC/Space A travel can be authorized if needed.

USAA sells a good travel insurance policy geared to military members and their coverage needs.

I have purchased the USAA travel insurance for two previous trips...fortunately never had to use it but found it to be very reasonably priced and children under 18 traveling with you can get coverage for $0 cost.

I think coverage for four of us on our Bahamas cruise in 2010 was about $140 total, and the cruise my husband and I just took to Bermuda was covered for $90 total.

Thank you very much! The kids and I are on Tricare Standard and since my husband is active he is on Prime. I will look into the USAA insurance- have you ever used it before?

The USAA travel insurance plans are through Travel Insured which is a very reputable company. I believe the plan coverages/benefits might be a little different from their regular plans that are sold elsewhere but I think you'll find the premiums to be very competitive. They do have some special benefits for military such as coverage for leave revocation.

USAA.COM/TRAVEL

Thank you all for the advice! I'm going to check it out. On the last crusie we took my husband ended up breaking his toe and instead of paying to have it looked at while on the ship he decided to wait until we were back home. Had that not happened I probably wouldn't even been thinking about getting insurance so thank you!

....then why didn't your husband get the broken toe looked at while on the ship or at least at the next port stop and file a claim with Tricare, instead of grinning and bearing the pain he must have been experiencing until returning home?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Tricare Prime is pretty picky on what it will pay sometimes and at the time we didn't know if they would have covered anything and he was too darn stubborn to have it looked at!! I told him it didn't matter what it cost but he wouldn't. He just took advil for pain:(

• 2 weeks later...

Tricare prime will pay most anything . Actually never had them decline any services. You can check out on tricare website it will tell you what it will cover. If you any question just call them. With prime there should be no cost for care except for med filled off a MTF. With standard you would have to pay certain deductable. Our whole family is on prime. I dont want to pay the deductables.

I'm sorry, I didn't word that very well- I meant more that being on Tricare Prime they are picky about who you can see unless you want to pay for it yourself, at least that is the problem we have had. I don't know if it's the fact that my husband is AGR (Active Guard Reserves- he is active duty but they can only move him in state and not other states) and we live in a state with no active duty base so all medical care is private. The only dr that will take Tricare Prime in our area is 2 towns over so he rarely goes to her and uses immed care centers instead:( That's why the kids & I are on Standard...more expensive but at least we can pick the dr we like and close by.

• 1 month later...

We are a member with USAA, so I called to get travel insurance for my cruise Oct 25rd..I was told that since I bought my cruise with a Carnival agent that they could not sell me a cruise insurance coverage...BUT...I thought that there was something besides that onw that I could purchase..We will be able to get Tricare in Nov when honey turns 60..

so is there a different department at USAA I need to call?

We are a member with USAA, so I called to get travel insurance for my cruise Oct 25rd..I was told that since I bought my cruise with a Carnival agent that they could not sell me a cruise insurance coverage...BUT...I thought that there was something besides that onw that I could purchase..We will be able to get Tricare in Nov when honey turns 60..

so is there a different department at USAA I need to call?

Your Tricare coverage should have nothing to do with your ability to purchase a travel insurance policy.

I am not sure you were given the correct information. I see no requirment, under the insurance you may purchase through USAA, that you have to had purchased your cruise through them.

Try to purchase this online (just go through your USAA account), or call back and get another agent.

USAA requires the travel insurance be purchased either 21 days after payment or 30 days after payment depending on coverage required.

I did it online and did not have to meet those requirements--the questions were never asked; I just completed the forms as presented. We were well past the payment dates mentioned...

Archived