Safety in Alaska

alaskawdw12

Hi everybody :)

I was wondering about personal safety in Alaska. I don't want to end up in a dangerous situation by mistake...I'm mainly asking about Fairbanks, Anchorage and Seward, since that's where we'll be spending nights. The ports don't concern me, since they'll be swarming with tourists :)

So what can we do to not be stupid tourists? Areas we should avoid when no one's there? Normally, you'd be more careful at night. But since it only gets dark really late during July - does that still apply?

There are some areas in Anchorage that are a little dicey, but none that I am concerned about. Certainly no issue anywhere , but, I'm also a seasoned New Yorker, who has a certain "personality", that has faired me well in my travels. :)

Anchorage has some "sketchy" areas, but as long as you use common sense there should be no problems. Fairbanks and Seward are very safe, but again use common sense. For example, although you see locals doing it, in Fairbanks one really shouldn't leave a purse in your shopping cart and walk away.

You don't say where you live, but I think you will find that mostly Alaska is similar to your home town. You know where to go and where not to go.

I am more careful with people in Alaska when I am out hiking alone than when I am in downtown Anchorage. I don't like being out on the trail with someone I don't know and do take precautions when hiking.

In the same way I don't like coming across bears and moose on trails.

I have never felt worried in Anchorage although there are some places that can be rough. That said, I don't show off money or jewelry. I don't hang an expensive camera on my neck when walking around.

As far as looking like a tourist: there isn't much you can do about that. Alaska has a zillion tourists in the summer.

Just don't get into any arguments in bars!

There are some areas in Anchorage that are a little dicey, but none that I am concerned about. Certainly no issue anywhere , but, I'm also a seasoned New Yorker, who has a certain "personality", that has faired me well in my travels.

LOL, I think New Yorkers can make it anywhere :)

Fairbanks and Seward are very safe, but again use common sense. For example, although you see locals doing it, in Fairbanks one really shouldn't leave a purse in your shopping cart and walk away.

Thanks, I'm really interested in Fairbanks and Seward, since we'll be spending more time there. I can't wait :)

About Fairbanks - I know that for Creamer's Feild is open 24/7. Would it be safe to walk around there in the evening?

Just don't get into any arguments in bars!

LOL that should be easy, since neither of us drinks :)

Thanks for all the replys!

As far as Anchorage goes, if you are not out and about at 1 am-3 am you should be fine. That is when most of the trouble ensues.

All of the places you will visit intentionally in Anchorage are safe. As for Fairbanks and Seward, they are completely safe.

Thanks, I'm really interested in Fairbanks and Seward, since we'll be spending more time there. I can't wait :)

About Fairbanks - I know that for Creamer's Feild is open 24/7. Would it be safe to walk around there in the evening?

!

The only issue with Creamer's Field if going July to mid August could be bugs. :) I would walk with a partner, just for added safety.

Last summer I drove over 1000 miles by myself & never felt in the least threatened. Whether it is Anchorage, Seward, Talkeetna, or Denali just use common sense to be aware of 2 legged or 4 legged neighbors.

Archived