Sea Sickness?

michelletheB

I am going on a cruise to the bahamas in a couple of weeks. This is my first cruise ever and I am wondering about sea sickness and how bad it usually is. A little background on myself: I do not typically get motion sickness in car or airplanes and I can ride roller coasters wiht little problem as well (the ones with a lot of loops make me dizzy and light headed).

I have an appointment with a Dr. to speak about getting the sea sick patch as a just in case, but I am not even sure if I need it. I do not want to take the pills becuase I know I get drowsy from anti-hystamines (sp?).... I have also considered the sea bands, but honestly I think they are ugly and dont want to wear them (I know I know).

So I would like so advice or opinions from experienced cruisers to help me make my decision about going to the Dr.

Thanks!

I get sick on buses and in cars, still ginger is usually enough. I think you are overdoing it with the patch, and many posters complained on the side effects of them.

Can you take Bonine? It won't make you drowsy, maybe just a little. (Bonine is NOT Dramamine)

Take ginger - but if you take blood thinners ask your doctor. Have Bonine with you for rough seas.

If motion such as what you mentioned doesn't bother you, you will likely be OK.

The patch works well but like any prescription does have some side effects.

Some use Ginger as Dayenu mentioned.

We take Bonine which is an over the counter medicine. We find that if we take it before we feel sea sick it works great and we do not get drowsy. Discuss that with the doctor and you could potentially test it out before you leave.

Keith

I have used the scopalamine patch and find its overkill on most cruises - the side effects are usually worse than what its trying alleviate!

But I agree that if you are susceptible or worried about it, bring Bonine (the generic is Meclizine). Its an antihistamine like Dramamine but won't make you nearly as tired and will last up to 24 hours on a single dose vs 6-8 hours.

Wife and I have always used the patch (except our first cruise :mad: ) with no problems. Rode out the edge of Hurricane Mitch many years ago and was OK.

Some folks do have problems. If you want to consider the patch, our advice, is to try one on a weekend several weeks before your cruise. Wear it around the house, etc. If you are one of the few who has problems it will show up then.

Others here will post other remedies. This is one of the most frequent questions.

Hope this helps.

I do get motion sickness on some roller coasters and other loopy/circular type rides. And I was very anxious I would get sea sickness. I've cruised twice without a problem. I have used the patch both times but am considering doing an over the counter for cruise #3 in a couple months.

I've not experienced rough seas yet. But while on board I rarely notice any movement or rocking by the ship.

My problem has come on day 2 of being back on dry ground. Gotten a little nauseous on that day and then a little dizziness for a week or two after that, but nothing major. Good luck. You'll probably be fine

My problem has come on day 2 of being back on dry ground. Gotten a little nauseous on that day and then a little dizziness for a week or two after that, but nothing major.

For this, ginger works! This condition is called "sea legs" - you shouldn't stop taking whatever you are taking for 3-4 days after the cruise.

I can still get car-sick on a curvy mountain roads (when a passenger) but have found that I just ADORE the motion of a ship. It's FUN to wobble!!!

I start the cruise with a single Bonine at night (starting the night before), then give up a few days later 'cos I'm just fine. But I also bring ginger capsules. The last cruise we took, there was a rough day when I started to feel a bit off, so I took ginger (for a fast fix) and the Bonine (which needs more time than the ginger and is a "longer" fix). No problem. Next day, calmer seas, and fine. Hubby (of the cast-iron stomach) also had a questionable day, and the ginger capsules were all he needed.

Don't over-worry about it - those big ships are VERY stable!

I am going on a cruise to the bahamas in a couple of weeks. This is my first cruise ever and I am wondering about sea sickness and how bad it usually is. A little background on myself: I do not typically get motion sickness in car or airplanes and I can ride roller coasters wiht little problem as well (the ones with a lot of loops make me dizzy and light headed).

I have an appointment with a Dr. to speak about getting the sea sick patch as a just in case, but I am not even sure if I need it. I do not want to take the pills becuase I know I get drowsy from anti-hystamines (sp?).... I have also considered the sea bands, but honestly I think they are ugly and dont want to wear them (I know I know).

So I would like so advice or opinions from experienced cruisers to help me make my decision about going to the Dr.

Thanks!

--

If you can handle cars and planes and roller coasters, the odds are that the slight motion on a large ship will be no problem -in fact a fair number of people who "suffer seasickness" actually talk themselves into it. A real minority actuaslly has a real condition. If you start to feel queasy, try a little candied ginger -- not only does it really settle the stomach, it provides a helpful placebo effect - just knowing that you are doing something (anything) will help you cope.

First Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you can ride a roll-coaster with no problem chances are high that you won't be bothered with getting ill by going on a cruise. If it will make you feel more comfortable ask your doctor for over-the-counter meds to bring with you just in case.

I remember getting extremely sick on a train trip from New Orleans to Connecticut years ago. We were on it for two days and it was so bad for me I was at the point of dehydration by the time I got to my aunt's house. That is how sick I got. I found out later that it wasn't food poisoning which I thought I had but motion sickness. So I do wear the patch. And I never have had any side effects.

But the patch is a little powerful and it is a prescription drug so IMMHO I wouldn't suggest using it to just anyone.

If you and your doctor decides that the patch is right for you the most important key to remember is that you wear one for three days behind one ear. And the next day you place a new patch behind the "opposite" ear otherwise you will get over-medicated.

But as I say, it sounds like you really will be OK for your cruise without it.

HAPPY CRUISING!

I have moderate to severe motion sickness (I can't even watch a train go by without getting nauseous), so I faithfully take Bonine, one in the morning & one at night, starting a day or two before we sail, and have had no problems on three cruises. We ran into a tropical storm on one of them and Hurricane Rena last October, and the Bonine worked just fine! While everyone else was holed up in their cabins feeling queasy, my husband and I felt fine and had a great time! We are cruising again in November, so I think I'll try some of the ginger capsules, as well. Hmmmm....the candied ginger sounds good....anyone know where I can find some?

I have cruised 3 times, I don't get "sick", but just feel "off", especially during the second day usually with a headache too.... and then I suffer the "foggy head" feeling for about a week when we return. The first 2 cruises I didn't take anything, the last one I took a Bonine every night starting a day or 2 before sailing and continuing several days after returning...didn't make any difference. We are sailing in 2 weeks and I am debating trying the patch. Anyone experience anything similar and have advice?

I took Bonine. Many pills are good for 24 hours. Therefore, if you take it before going to sleep, you won't feel drowsy the next day.

Also, motion sickness medicine is not effective after I became sick. Therefore, I need to take the medicine beforehand even if I may not need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mythbusters says that the ginger pills works. You can look it up & see them in the show. Their conclusion was ginger pills (taken 1 hour before exposure to motion) was the only treatment that worked consistently and had no side effects. Glad we bought some!

Archived