Shopping on the Danube

kiberkid

Just back & we took Euros & Forint for Budapest

Be sure to have a 50 cent piece ready for the toilets in most places

What is a "50 cent piece" in Budapest? They don't have dollars and cents there...

Is it 1/2 a euro?

Or is it 100 Forints?

Or what?

I really want to be able to use the bathroom!...

What is a "50 cent piece" in Budapest? They don't have dollars and cents there...

Or is it 100 Forints?

Or what?

I would think it would be forints but have no idea what they charge to use the W/C there as I did not need to use the public ones ;)

They have some on the street like the ones in England (free standing)

Lyn

Is it 1/2 a euro?

Or is it 100 Forints?

Or what?

They have coinage with the amount value printed on it's face. Similar to western coins with larger coins being more valueable and bills starting at 100 forints which is equal to about $5.00 and change U.S. They do have a Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds and Burger King so it is like the U.S. I remember being like 50 cents.One good thing that I have found most public toilets have an attendent that keeps them pretty clean and stocked with toilet paper. The toilets I had visited work on an honor system with a box with a slot in the top you deposit the coin. BUT the toilet paper borders on sandpaper so they have failed to hear about Charmin....;):eek: Makes you think of carrying an emergency stash of Angel Soft.:D

MacDonald's usually has free(and pretty clean) bathrooms...

Also - if you walk into a large hotel (ie: the Intercontinental in Budapest) - and look as if you belong - you can usually find washrooms on the main floor somewhere.

Fran

Also - if you walk into a large hotel (ie: the Intercontinental in Budapest) - and look as if you belong - you can usually find washrooms on the main floor somewhere.

Fran

Marriott also had them on the main floor just past reception...no questions asked ;)

MacDonald's usually has free(and pretty clean) bathrooms...

Fran

FYI, McDonalds in Prague has pay toilets so I suspect others may also.

Also Starbucks and department stores area a good bet.

They have coinage with the amount value printed on it's face. Similar to western coins with larger coins being more valueable and bills starting at 100 forints which is equal to about $5.00 and change U.S. They do have a Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds and Burger King so it is like the U.S. I remember being like 50 cents.

Still doesn't quite answer my question --

i.e.: Is there a coin in Hungary that has "50" on it? And is that the one you use for the bathroom?

235 Forints is equal to $1.00 So 100 Forints would be equal to about 42 cents in US money. You said 100 forints = $5.00 above... That's not right, right?

So do we use a 100 Forint coin for the bathroom which would equal about 50 cents? Or do we use a 50 Forint coin which would equal 21 cents in US money?

Still doesn't quite answer my question --

i.e.: Is there a coin in Hungary that has "50" on it? And is that the one you use for the bathroom?

235 Forints is equal to $1.00 So 100 Forints would be equal to about 42 cents in US money. You said 100 forints = $5.00 above... That's not right, right?

So do we use a 100 Forint coin for the bathroom which would equal about 50 cents? Or do we use a 50 Forint coin which would equal 21 cents in US money?

My bad. Bills start a 1000. As I look at a left over coin on one side it has 50 forint embossed on one side and Andmagyar Roztarsasag on the other with a falcon type bird in the center. That is what I used successfully all the times I went pee-pee. Much like Canada they have a 100 and 200 coin that looks like the looney and Tooney. I mix up the currencey between Hungary and Check Republic. Both have these astronomical prices that set you back but as you do your conversion in your head it really isn't much. Just returned and viewing my credit card bill I spent far less than I had thought just for ths fact that my rough conversions were far overestimated.Live it up because we found that we ate and drank well on far less money than home. Having $5000.00 bills make you feel like a Rockafeller We stayed in the Marriot and like stated before just walk right past the front desk and the bathrooms are straight ahead. Don't worry like someone explained to me in Vienna as we boarded the tram car and didn't understand the ticket situation "just say you are a tourist from America and they will let it go".....and that was our native guide. Hope that helps.:)

Don't worry like someone explained to me in Vienna as we boarded the tram car and didn't understand the ticket situation "just say you are a tourist from America and they will let it go".....and that was our native guide. Hope that helps.:)

Don't try that in Budapest they have the tram police & if you do not have a validated ticket or a tram pass you are for a BIG surprise ;)

Don't try that in Budapest they have the tram police & if you do not have a validated ticket or a tram pass you are for a BIG surprise ;)

Having seen some of those trams we wouldn't fit any way.:D They were jammed packed. Budapest is a great city to walk anyways.:)

Having seen some of those trams we wouldn't fit any way.:D They were jammed packed. Budapest is a great city to walk anyways.:)

We did not use the trams either but did not notice any that were jammed packed

My bad. Bills start a 1000. As I look at a left over coin on one side it has 50 forint embossed on one side and Andmagyar Roztarsasag on the other with a falcon type bird in the center. That is what I used successfully all the times I went pee-pee. Much like Canada they have a 100 and 200 coin that looks like the looney and Tooney. I mix up the currencey between Hungary and Check Republic. Both have these astronomical prices that set you back but as you do your conversion in your head it really isn't much. Just returned and viewing my credit card bill I spent far less than I had thought just for ths fact that my rough conversions were far overestimated.Live it up because we found that we ate and drank well on far less money than home. Having $5000.00 bills make you feel like a Rockafeller We stayed in the Marriot and like stated before just walk right past the front desk and the bathrooms are straight ahead.

OK Thanks! That makes more sense. Sounds like it's only 21 cents (50 forints) to go pee-pee. That means I can drink more beer!

Archived