Shopping on the Danube

kiberkid

Looking for some advice from our experienced cruisers.....

I was wondering if there are street vendors in Budapest, Prague or any of the ports along the Danube & if so, do you pay the posted price or are you expected to barter? I imagine you pay the posted price in the stores.

I believe that I read somewhere that credit cards are not widely accepted as they are in North America, so we need to take cash. Is that correct?

Are we better off to take Hungarian Forint, Czec Koruna as well as Euros? Are ATM's readily available or should we bring our money from home?

Any tidbit of experience is greatly appreciated.

I can only speak for Prague. You do need local currency for small shops /street vendors and any place you do not plan to use a credit card. Euros not readily accepted in Prague. Credit cards, with chip and 4 digit pin only, accepted in larger shops, stores and restaurants. ATM's available. Vendors everywhere in Prague, some barter, some don't. I am going to Budapest in September and plan to take Hungarian currency as I understand Euros not readily accepted, nor should they be. I'm sure others will provide more information.

I can only speak for Prague. You do need local currency for small shops /street vendors and any place you do not plan to use a credit card. Euros not readily accepted in Prague. Credit cards, with chip and 4 digit pin only, accepted in larger shops, stores and restaurants. ATM's available. Vendors everywhere in Prague, some barter, some don't. I am going to Budapest in September and plan to take Hungarian currency as I understand Euros not readily accepted, nor should they be. I'm sure others will provide more information.

Thank you for the info. Enjoy your next cruise.

We just did the Danube, Bucharest to Vienna, and found it very easy to change Euro to the local currancy when needed. Very few places we visited accepted credit cards (some did; not all), and the street vendors we met did not.

I was concerned about money too, but rest assured it really is pretty easy to change your money. Most of the time we did this when we found something we wanted to buy (we waited until we were sure we'd need it). In the few places we toured that were really out in the middle of nowhere, (meaning, no AMs or Exchange bureaus) we found the gift-type shops accepted Euro. I cannot promise that is true everywhere, but money was honestly never a big problem for us.

Hi there -

We did Budapest to Prague with AMA in 2010.

We did have forints and koruna --> took a few with us, and then picked up more while we were there (we prefer to pay cash if possible...) ATMs are available in most places --> even in the smallest towns. Your guides can help you if they aren't in full view.

Most shops will take credit cards - and there will be sign in the front window if they do not. Many shops in both Budapest and Prague will take euros - but you don't get a great exchange rate.

The Vaci Utca is a great place to wander and shop. The prices are better the farther you get from the Chain Bridge (ie: closer to the market).

Fran

Hi there -

Many shops in both Budapest and Prague will take euros - but you don't get a great exchange rate.

We spent a few days in Prague last December and agree that in some shops and also restaurants, there was the option to pay in Euro but not at a favorable rate.

We prefer to use an ATM to get cash for the best rates and to pay with cash for most all purchases. We will do the same for our stays in Budapest and Prague this fall.

Thank you all for your valuable information.

One more question, if you don't mind.

We are staying in Budapest for a couple of days before our cruise & in Prague for 3 days after. Are the restaurant prices comparable to North America? For example can you get a decent (not extravagant) family type of dinner in the equivalent of $20 -$30 or are we looking at more of the $50-$60 or conversely in the $5 - $10 bracket?

Are the restaurant prices comparable to North America? For example can you get a decent (not extravagant) family type of dinner in the equivalent of $20 -$30 or are we looking at more of the $50-$60 or conversely in the $5 - $10 bracket?

We found Prague to be a bargain compared to much of the rest of Europe. We had lovely dinners with a bottle of wine for about 70 USD. Not at fancy restaurants but freshly prepared and flavorful food.

I doubt you will find much in the 5-10 range.:)

Credit cards do not have a PIN. You must mean one of the VISA or MasterCard debit cards.

In Prague used my ATM card without a chip to get cash with no problems.

Used my ATM card lots of places with no problems.

Many places do not rake American Express cards, only Visa or MasterCard.

All of my credit and debit cards have pins. Before traveling to Europe make sure that pins are established for each card you take and be sure to let the credit card companies know that you are traveling, the date you leave and your return date.

Thank you again for all your wisdom.

My Canadian credit cards have a chip & a PIN, with the exception of my almost outdated AmEx, but maybe my new one will.

I think we are going to budget about $40 a day p/p for meals. Lots of times we have a big breakfast & skip lunch and at least one of our hotels provide breakfast, so I think we will be ok.

We are going to take your advice & not bring much cash with us. We will take advantage of the ATM's and advise our bank & credit card companies when & where we will be. I was going to lower the limit on our credit cards, but a few years ago my Dad lowered his to about $2,000 for a trip & when he needed the higher limit to pay for a big ticket item, he 'didn't qualify' for it as he is retired & not bringing in both those big bucks anymore. So I think I will leave ours as it is.

Thanks again for all your replies.

kiberkid,

Budapest is definitely cheaper than North America regarding restaurant prices. Along Vaci Utca and other streets you will find a lot of exchange booths. Check out the exchange rates. They are much better downtown than at the airport and some booths have better rates than others. Changing Euro or Dollar makes you more flexible than getting money from an ATM (and pay extra fees for it). Even some of the touristy street vendors on Vaci Utca do accept Euro.

My credit card does have a PIN (and chip) but I´ve never used it all over Europe. Even if I was asked to insert my PIN I´ve told them that I don´t know it and was able to sign a slip.

steamboats

Credit cards do not have a PIN. You must mean one of the VISA or MasterCard debit cards.

My credit and debit cards all have chips and a PIN, not sure we'll use them , been considering the cash debit cards where you load them with the currency of the country your visiting, the one I've been looking at you can add up to 7 or 8 different currencies, good for countries like Hungary that dont take euros.

No, I do mean credit cards. In 2008 when we were in Copenhagen, that was the first time I discovered that my old CC was no good as it did not have a chip & pin. Europe is far more advanced with this technology than North America. All Canadian CC's are now chip & pin (as well as debit cards) and I understand the US is not far behind. If you have an old CC, trade it in for a chip & pin (4 digit pin) if you are planning on using it in Europe. Some places may accept a signature but that is not the norm, in my experience.

Europe in many places is far more technologically advanced than we in the USA.

A few months ago in Amsterdam, I was unable to purchase train tickets with my VISA and my debit card as they were not "smart" and did not have chips.

I had to run to the ATM and get cash and then get back in the long line at the ticket window to make my purchase.

Not every bank issues smart cards but I will be taking one this next trip for certain.

In the US Chase has one or two of their cards with a chip. There may be others that I don't know of but we used credit cards this year from Austria to Romania and had to supply pins only 2 or 3 times. We were never refused due to not having a chip. Our trip was in April of this year.

been considering the cash debit cards where you load them with the currency of the country your visiting, the one I've been looking at you can add up to 7 or 8 different currencies, good for countries like Hungary that dont take euros.

That is interesting. I have never heard of that type of debit card. Me thinks me will do some investigating :cool:

To answer the original question our best shopping for souvenirs on the Budapest to Nuremberg/Prague cruise was in Budapest. I shopped primarily on Vaci Utca, but also at the Central Market.

There were also some interesting department stores in Nuremberg with clothes and cosmetics, and there were lots of shops in Prague.

Just back & we took Euros & Forint for Budapest

Be sure to have a 50 cent piece ready for the toilets in most places

If you shop around for meal you can get some good prices

We ate at Cucina on Vaci Utca it was very good pizza there for a good price

Just do not be scared by the high numbers 1000 Forint is about $5 CAD

We also used an ATM in Budapest to get more HUF ..if one ATM Bank does not work just try another bank

Good prices in the Great Market for knick knacks

Friends bought a table cloth for about 25,000 Forints

Enjoy the trip

• 2 weeks later...
Just back & we took Euros & Forint for Budapest

Be sure to have a 50 cent piece ready for the toilets in most places

If you shop around for meal you can get some good prices

We ate at Cucina on Vaci Utca it was very good pizza there for a good price

Just do not be scared by the high numbers 1000 Forint is about $5 CAD

We also used an ATM in Budapest to get more HUF ..if one ATM Bank does not work just try another bank

Good prices in the Great Market for knick knacks

Friends bought a table cloth for about 25,000 Forints

Enjoy the trip

We just returned also and have to agree. People were quite nice and we also used Euros along with Forint we had exchanged in Budapest. You only need pocket money for those big purchases use a credit card. Definately go to the Market to see all the great produce, paprika and souvenirs. Sneek off to a local resturaunt to enjoy some local foods. Love the city and dying to return...Happy travels.

Sneek off to a local resturaunt to enjoy some local foods. Love the city and dying to return...Happy travels.

Better still plan a few days before or after the cruise ...no need to SNEEK off ;)

Archived