Just Off Serenade, Thinking of Mariner - Need Input Please!!

We are just off Serenade of the Seas, which was our first Royal Caribbean cruise after half a dozen voyages on Holland America. We loved the ship and the staff, and are interested in booking another cruise with RCI. But I wonder if I am asking for trouble by considering Mariner of the Seas? Our Serenade trip was a 14-day Panama Canal trip, with about half a dozen mostly invisible children on board. So, I have some questions and would love some input, particularly from those who have sailed both Serenade and Mariner (or their sisters).

• Is the Solarium pool on Mariner for adults only, as it is on Serenade?
  • How's the food on Mariner as compared to Radiance class ships? Does cooking for 50% more people on Mariner result in lower quality or fewer choices?
  • The biggest ship we've been on is Serenade, which is not that much larger than HAL's Vista class (we've sailed on both Zuiderdam and Westerdam). But Mariner is an order of magnitude bigger. Are there long lines everywhere? If you get a cabin close to mid-ships, are the distances from place to place manageable? (Dad is in a wheelchair and Mom's walking distance is limited.)
  • While Mom and Dad are retired, the rest of us are not, so we're considering doing the Sept. 4-11 sailing, which includes Labor Day. Are most kids likely to be back to school by then? For anyone who has cruised over Labor Day, what has your experience been like?

I'm not kid-bashing and not looking for an argument, honest. We're just a group of adults traveling with some mobility-limited seniors, and prefer to cruise at less kid-intensive times. I'm just not sure how Labor Day would be in that regard and would welcome comments from people who've cruised at that time of year. I do realize the hurricane risks. We'll get travel insurance and fly down a day or so before.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Susan

Yes, Solarium is adults only on all RCI ships.

I've never noticed any difference in the food quality between Voyager class and Radiance class.

The Voyager class ships are very well laid out, and there are no crowding problems. IMO they're even easier to get around than the Radiance class ships.

Haven't cruised over Labor Day, so I can't help with that, but all the schools I'm familiar with are back in session.

I've been on both classes of ships several times and love them both. Having said that the Voyager class ships are very special and unique. They're unlike anything else at sea and have something for everyone! I highly recommend you try one and see for yourself!

We were on the Mariner Aug 29..turned into 9 days, thx to Francis. Not many kids at all. Schools start earlier & earlier. Before mid Aug. here in Ga.! Shld be a good time and a great ship. Going again this Oct. We were near the elevators, mid ship & it wasn't bad walking. DH had had knee replacement in late Jan. & no problems. DR on one end tho & show rm on opposite end so had to sorta rush after late dinner to the shows. Think the hump is still the best.

Have a blast. :)

Thanks for your responses, you've been very encouraging! I'd love to hear more from others who have sailed on both ships.

I have a few more questions, too: is there a concierge lounge on Mariner? The lounge on Serenade was nice, but seemed far too small for its purpose. What's your favorite public space on Mariner? And is Johnny Rockets worth checking out?

Thanks again,

Susan

Yes, there is a Concierge Lounge on all of the Voyager class ships.

Personally I love Johnny Rocket's burgers, fries, onion rings and shakes for lunch. It's fresh and the food is cooked to order. It's similar to the Seaview Cafe concept on the Radiance class ships, but there's a $3.95 "cover charge" at Johnny Rockets. As a Crown & Anchor member, you'll get a coupon for 1 free visit so definitely take advantage of that and see for yourself.

I absolutely love the Royal Promenade on the Voyager class ships. It's a spectacular space and the Promenade Cafe has wonderful desserts and snacks (no extra charge). It's fun to sit there, have a snack and "people watch". The ice shows on the Voyager class ships are wonderful as well, don't miss those! (tickets required, but there's no charge for them, they give them out at times listed in the Cruise Compass)

We are just off Serenade of the Seas, which was our first Royal Caribbean cruise after half a dozen voyages on Holland America. We loved the ship and the staff, and are interested in booking another cruise with RCI. But I wonder if I am asking for trouble by considering Mariner of the Seas? Our Serenade trip was a 14-day Panama Canal trip, with about half a dozen mostly invisible children on board. So, I have some questions and would love some input, particularly from those who have sailed both Serenade and Mariner (or their sisters).

• Is the Solarium pool on Mariner for adults only, as it is on Serenade?
  • How's the food on Mariner as compared to Radiance class ships? Does cooking for 50% more people on Mariner result in lower quality or fewer choices?
  • The biggest ship we've been on is Serenade, which is not that much larger than HAL's Vista class (we've sailed on both Zuiderdam and Westerdam). But Mariner is an order of magnitude bigger. Are there long lines everywhere? If you get a cabin close to mid-ships, are the distances from place to place manageable? (Dad is in a wheelchair and Mom's walking distance is limited.)
  • While Mom and Dad are retired, the rest of us are not, so we're considering doing the Sept. 4-11 sailing, which includes Labor Day. Are most kids likely to be back to school by then? For anyone who has cruised over Labor Day, what has your experience been like?

I'm not kid-bashing and not looking for an argument, honest. We're just a group of adults traveling with some mobility-limited seniors, and prefer to cruise at less kid-intensive times. I'm just not sure how Labor Day would be in that regard and would welcome comments from people who've cruised at that time of year. I do realize the hurricane risks. We'll get travel insurance and fly down a day or so before.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Susan

IME, Serenade offers a very different experience from the Voyager class ships in several ways.

I have taken two Voyager class ships: AOS and Voyager. They were both chock full of kids and it was neither summer nor school break. They were everywhere!

The ships felt very crowded to me.

I much prefer the beautiful glass atrium aboard Serenade - my favorite RCI ship to date - to the Royal Promenade.

I found the food and service aboard Serenade to be superior to Voyager class as well.

Mariner is way too big for my personal taste. I felt like I was in the Mall of America.

While the Solarium is adults only, this was enforced on my Serenade cruise a few months ago, but not on VOS or AOS. I stick to the adults only area because I enjoy the peace and quiet. I found that much harder to come by.

I will leave Voyager class to the families and continue to enjoy Radiance class ships.

I have zero interest in sailing Freedom.

Any kid that wants to see the "Wrinkles on Parade with Bad Attitudes" (saving their seats since 4am) is welcome on the Mariner!!!

I am almost 50 and I would not go into the AARP solarium!

Any kid that wants to see the "Wrinkles on Parade with Bad Attitudes" (saving their seats since 4am) is welcome on the Mariner!!!

I am almost 50 and I would not go into the AARP solarium!

I prefer AARP to kids, any time.

I guess it's all about the timing...last week the solarium was a mixed adult crowd...sure there were some wrinkles on parade (oy...there sure were some), but it wasn't full of them. I am sure it is different week to week.

Also, there were a lot of kids when boarding, but never really saw many of them throughout the week. It was really nice.

Also, I didn't feel like I was in the Mall of America at all. There is really only 5 stores a couple of bars and Cafe Promenade (incredible mocha cream puffs...sniff...I really miss them). The Royal Promanade was actually quite a charming space.

While it was a huge ship, it certainly has many intimate spaces that make you feel comfortable. Keep in mind the designers do certainly let you know here and there that you are on a massive work of art (i.e. the centrum, ellington's, and everytime you are in port with other ships).

All of the public spaces were well designed, although ellington's was great and had awesome views.

Portofino's was incredible, Chops was incredible. One of the two things that I didn't care for was Johnny Rockets, we have one here in Atlanta and it wasn't really worth it unless you have a major hankering for a milkshake. The other was Nassau.

Just my two cents...

Hi MBeamTX, glad to be back? Well that was a quite a trip! I think you saw two more kids then we saw on the cruise. We usually cruise around the end of September, this year we are going on the Marinier on the September 18/05 cruise. We were on the Voyager last year around the same time, and there were probably about 12 kids - so about 50% more than on our cruise. I like both classes of ships, for Alaska the Radiance is the best IMHO. Take care - Tracey

Hi Tracey,

It was a great trip, wasn't it?? Did you get to do the bridge tour? My parents and I were thrilled to have that opportunity. I think I only actually saw two children, one of them an infant apparently belonging to an officer and his wife, and a family with two teens - but I overhead someone on the staff say there were about half a dozen on board. I couldn't prove it, though. :)

Right now I'm debating between Mariner in September or Westerdam in November. I'm not sure I dare ask for a week off again so soon, so it may have to be November. hehe

Susan

I am on the Mariner in just a little over 3 weeks.

From all of my fellow CC members postings I have read here, we are indeed looking forward to Chops, Portofino, and the "AARP" pool deck area..wrinkles and all!! ;)

We tend to alternate between the "large ship" experience and the smaller intimate ships. Kind of nice to mix it up a little.

As far as sailing times:

We are already going during the first official week of hurricane season, which is traditionally not a problem...so far anyway.

However, I would never consider going during the highest part of hurricane season: August/September/October. Not so much because I would worry about one of those nasty blow hards beating the ship around, but because I would need to be home in case one came to visit my house.

3 of them did last year....time to "hunker down"!! :eek:

Cheers!

Just a quick comment about the Mariner and the Radiance Class....just off the Marniner today. Loved the cruise but too many people. Not noticeable when sailing as much as when getting off in ports and at disembarkation.

But my main observation is that you can never see outside. The ships designers did a great job with all the areas but there are no windows........Radiance class you can always look outside.

I prefer the Radiance class. (and we had kids)

I have also sailed both (Jewel and Mariner) and loved them both for different reasons. Love the glass and looking outside from any vantage point on the ship.

I like the promonade on the Mariner (mmmmm little sandwiches) and the ice shows.

Didnt have problems with children on either ship, although the elevator wait time on the Mariner seemed longer than the Jewel to me.

The solarium on both ships is a wonderful place.

Food quality on both was good, I thought the Jewel Windjammer was a tad better.

Both Chops and Portifinos are top notch and i loved them both.

We had mid ship on each of these cruises and this helped to cut down on the walking on the larger ships.

I cant see not having a good time on either ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived